Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: John Keim: Ten observations: Ravens 34, Redskins 31 [Read #2 Re: Shanahan on Beck]

Oldfan

So one thing that's gone completely un-noticed on ES... that's Logan Paulsen. He's been getting a tremendous amount of work with the first team. Not just last night, all pre-season.

And I realize it has some to do with Cooley's injury, but he has blocked very well and he got quite a bit of playing time last year. I'm thinking he could be our Donny Warren- the most unheralded Redskin of the 1980s

just had to jump in on this talk about Jenkins... ok Bruce say never talked to Jenkins..thats fine, im gonna say this and its gonna shock some but bruce, shanny, and even Gibbs ,lies when it comes to what happen or whats going to happen in FA, they stayed in contact with jenkins and bowen..Bowen was just a lot more under the Radar, and tried 2 soften both of them, playing them off of each other, we have to keep in mind Bowen was High on the Cowboys list to, Age does win out esp with what Jenkins agent was wanting..as did find out..the deal almost reach was a power play by his agent on the Eagles, because we dropped out of the talks about 48hrs before that got leaked out by his agent...so his agent played himself, and spread the word around that a deal was about done, at the sametime...Bowen was softened a lot by the news that Jenkins almost had a deal done...maybe at that what we wanted 2 happen, maybe we needed Bowen to soften just a little lol inside joke right there....hope that made sense, may look like a big ramble

This is pretty much how I head it before and during free agency.

I have 3 observations about the game:

1) John Harbaugh is a Major Douchbag because of 3 things:

a) leaving his starters in just to tie the game up in the 3rd quarter

B) calling timeouts with 6 minutes left to get the ball back

c) actually "trying" to win a game that doesn't count.

2) Ray Lewis and Ray Rice (must be the name) dancing like a couple of idiots after a preseason win. Hey murderer, you've been in the league 16 years, act like it. It's just preseason.

3) Our starters can match up with other teams this year. It was clear Shanahan wanted to "see" players and could care less about winning it.

Great post. Only thing I'd disagree with you is, I thought Shanny pulled his 1s out early. Not jerk-face Harbaugh keeping his 1s in unnecessarily.

And this whole game feels like the shoe is on the other foot this week. Week 1, it was us playing our 1s against 2s, and the Steelers saying we cared about a silly preseason "win" more than they did.

And this whole game feels like the shoe is on the other foot this week. Week 1, it was us playing our 1s against 2s, and the Steelers saying we cared about a silly preseason "win" more than they did.

I know right, everyone forget us going 1s vs 2s against the Steelers.

Coaches don't and shuoldn't care what the other team does in preseason.

Great post. Only thing I'd disagree with you is, I thought Shanny pulled his 1s out early. Not jerk-face Harbaugh keeping his 1s in unnecessarily.

Do we know how long our O/D starters stayed in vs. when the Ravens O/D starters?

I know right, everyone forget us going 1s vs 2s against the Steelers.

Coaches don't and shuoldn't care what the other team does in preseason.

Our 2s still kept the lead for the most part. We didn't lose it until the end of the roster saw the field in the fourth and Tyrod got to put on a one man show.

There are two old football sayings.

1. If you have two quarterbacks' date=' you have no quarterback.

2. I can see your balls through those coach's shorts.

Think about it.[/quote']

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

Super Bowl Champions....'nuff said to quelch that adage.

Can find plenty more examples from lots of teams who had success with two good or better QBs on the roster.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 08:09 PM ----------

Do we know how long our O/D starters stayed in vs. when the Ravens O/D starters?

First half. In second half, Ravens starting offense went against our second string defense.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 08:13 PM ----------

Wilson? I dont remember any FAs with last name Wilson.

Josh Wilson is our new starting cornerback we signed from the Ravens. Lots of discussion on this board about it being a good idea to sign him before we did. I don't recall anyone mentioning Bowen as a possible free agent signing. It was all about signing Cullen Jenkins.

I dunno.

No Wilson, Buchanon, or Landry. Those are some pretty important pieces.

Fair but then I would be worried about our health. Our secondary is banged up badly and we haven't even gotten out of pre season.

Add the Jenkins injury and I think its a fair concern.

Landy seems the most troubling but Otogwe's hammy, Wilson, Landy, Cooley, Jenkins. We are getting hit with the injury bug it just seems sorta quiet.

I think NOT playing Beck at the end of last season was part of the 2011 Season Master Plan.

As was reported all during the lockout, most coaches around the league spent large amounts of time gameplanning for the Sex Cannon, even teams that aren't on the schedule until 2012. Part of my theory was confirmed when Shanny stated that our starter wouldn't be named until halftime of the opener against the Giants.

Very smart man, that Mike Shanahan.

With that level of strategery, it really won't matter which "not-the-long-term-answer" QB he goes with. Personally, I'd go with Beck, because he seems to have better posture in the huddle.

I haven't heard what Gruden said' date=' but I can envision it. Because Jon Gruden the announcer haunts my dreams.

"I like this guy, this John Beck. Let me tell you something, this guy does the things a quarterback needs to do. He's athletic. He's accurate. He's a leader. Watch this play right here. We used to call this play 48 Tight Pants Left. That's a good throw. I'm telling you, I like this guy."

And then here comes Jaworski.

"What I like about John Beck is his shoulder discipline. To play quarterback in the National Football League, you need to keep your shoulders at 52 degree angle at all times. I watched 95 hours of film on Beck yesterday and his shoulder never dipped below 50 degrees, even when eating a sandwich. The shoulder. The clavicle. The collar bone. All in perfect alignment. When I played in the National Football League, I slept in a crude device that kept by shoulder at 52 degrees while I slept. And because of that, I am blind in my left eye today."[/quote']

The definition of a "classic post." Thank you sir. Especially for the Jaws.

Anyway, I seriously doubt nobody knows who's starting the 3rd preseason game until a couple of hours before it begins, but Shanahan is telling Gruden and others who the opening day starter is.

I was listening to Sirius Radio this morning, I thought a caller made a good point. In a lot of respects, whoever gets named the starter might be at a disadvantage. Immediately you are playing with something to lose. If you're on the bench, no pressure. If your number is called you go out and play.

I could see Rex getting the start but Shanny pulling him at some point after one of his trademark meltdowns.. in comes Beck with nothing to lose...

I like this idea, I think Beck is putting a great deal of pressure on himself that may lead to a collapse or failure form trying too hard to perform. Therefore making or pushing in bad throws, or taking the unnecessary shot. Shanny could be putting him in a situation to win. Is Shanny this smart, an does he factor in the psychy of his players. My understanding from experience is that he plays a lot of games with his players, and if anything this takes away from player confidence.

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

i agree. i thank that saying applies when you have 2 QB's who are playing average. i think beck and grossman are both playing well. we might actually have 2 good QB's.

i agree. i thank that saying applies when you have 2 QB's who are playing average. i think beck and grossman are both playing well. we might actually have 2 good QB's.

Mark Rypien's Super Bowl run was anything but average. His Super Bowl year might not even be his best year. He was an average quarterback but he played well above average.

Beck and Grossman have a ways to go to perform at Rypien's super bowl level.

Mark Rypien's Super Bowl run was anything but average. His Super Bowl year might not even be his best year. He was an average quarterback but he played well above average.

i dont disagree. its the 'if you have 2, you dont have any' thing that i'm not sure applies here.

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

Can find plenty more examples from lots of teams who had success with two good or better QBs on the roster.

i dont disagree. its the 'if you have 2, you dont have any' thing that i'm not sure applies here.

You all misinterpreted LKB's post. He was responding to an utterly absurd plan to platoon the QBs and rotate them series to series, preseason football style. He was not saying that teams with two good QBs on the roster don't have a QB.

Nevertheless, even if a team has two good QBs on the roster, one must establish himself at the top of the pecking order. There can be only one starter.

Also SonnyandSam's offering of Rypien and Williams as an example of a successful QB platoon doesn't work. Rypien and Williams weren't a championship winning platoon. Rypien spent 1987 on IR. Williams took the starting job from Jay Schroeder during the 1987 season playoffs because Schroeder played poorly and Williams played well earlier in the season in spot duty when Schroeder was injured. Then Williams himself struggled with injuries the next season in 1988 and Rypien ended up winning the starting job by the end of the year. The Redskins did not win a championship that season.

By 1989, Rypien was the full time starter and Williams was on his way out.

I haven't heard what Gruden said' date=' but I can envision it. Because Jon Gruden the announcer haunts my dreams.

"I like this guy, this John Beck. Let me tell you something, this guy does the things a quarterback needs to do. He's athletic. He's accurate. He's a leader. Watch this play right here. We used to call this play 48 Tight Pants Left. That's a good throw. I'm telling you, I like this guy."

And then here comes Jaworski.

"What I like about John Beck is his shoulder discipline. To play quarterback in the National Football League, you need to keep your shoulders at 52 degree angle at all times. I watched 95 hours of film on Beck yesterday and his shoulder never dipped below 50 degrees, even when eating a sandwich. The shoulder. The clavicle. The collar bone. All in perfect alignment. When I played in the National Football League, I slept in a crude device that kept by shoulder at 52 degrees while I slept. And because of that, I am blind in my left eye today."[/quote']

One of the best and funniest posts of the year. I've read it on five different occasions, and it's just as good each time.

What do you do for a living, LKB?

You could easily make a living on your writing, which reads like early Kornheiser or Dave Berry at their best. But you're mostly a counter-puncher, keeping it real when someone goes too far. If you wrote for the WP, I'd have you do a sidebar next to every column and beat story. The other writers would hate you, because in three lines you'd destroy their 1000 words.

Probably you're an attorney, which is the affliction that strikes most smart guys who can read and write and argue.

You would have made a great magazine editor, back when magazines mattered. You've got an ear for the zeitgeist and can throw a punch that makes even the recipient laugh. These are rare qualities.

Archived