Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training camp tweets 8/5/11

c4man5282

i will never understand why so many people are convinced a guy who has caught 72 passes in 3 years is somehow magically better than a guy who consistently makes that many catches every year. people are basing their evaluation of fred davis purely on his draft position (4 years ago!) and a handful of games 2 years ago. it was a bad pick, get over it.

The returns on Davis so far in camp have been positive. I'm basing my evaluation off of what he's CURRENTLY doing. We've had a very small-sample in seeing what Davis is capable of when Cooley isn't on the field. He's impressed. That, coupled with Davis doing well so far into TC, why can't he start? We actually have a younger TE on the roster who could put up good numbers if he got more PT. Cooley is getting up there in his years and I think folks are attached to him for sentimental reasons. I got so heated yesterday listing to the L&D show (I know...I know). A caller said that the Skins have to start Cooley because the fans would be upset. Are you kidding me!!!! The fans...c'mon now. If Shanahan is building this team for the future (and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather have Davis in that long-term vision), Davis should be getting split-reps at the least with Cooley right now. As we move on (and if Davis continues to impress and can PROVE he's a better option than CC), slowly give Davis the bulk of the reps at TE.

The returns on Davis so far in camp have been positive. I'm basing my evaluation off of what he's CURRENTLY doing. We've had a very small-sample in seeing what Davis is capable of when Cooley isn't on the field. He's impressed. That, coupled with Davis doing well so far into TC, why can't he start? We actually have a younger TE on the roster who could put up good numbers if he got more PT. Cooley is getting up there in his years and I think folks are attached to him for sentimental reasons. I got so heated yesterday listing to the L&D show (I know...I know). A caller said that the Skins have to start Cooley because the fans would be upset. Are you kidding me!!!! The fans...c'mon now. If Shanahan is building this team for the future (and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather have Davis in that long-term vision), Davis should be getting split-reps at the least with Cooley right now. As we move on (and if Davis continues to impress and can PROVE he's a better option than CC), slowly give Davis the bulk of the reps at TE.

What is the sentimental attachment? We are ringless. Did I miss something?

Not really, he'd just be the new Gary Clark.

Unfortunately I was too young for those years. I'm kind of assuming that with the overall team as well as other receivers that surrounded him though, those mistakes were much more forgivable.

Look at how people complain about Moss' drops around here and when the stats are actually shown, his drop % is below average for receivers (below in a good way). Don't get me wrong, I could not be happier we got him and especially in the 3rd round. I think he's gonna be a good one, but dropping easily catchable balls, especially when we need em, is not going to be lost on the fans or Shanahan...especially after we've had to deal with Carlos Rogers lol

As for Fred Davis - Cooley probably wouldn't like it, but seeing as how we're supposed to go 2 TE sets anyway and try to utilize our deepest position, if Davis is outplaying Cooley then there is no reason Davis shouldn't be the starter with Cooley seeing the reps/PT that Davis got last year. The coaches preach competition and right now all I'm hearing is a guy who's proven he can play at a high level during the regular season is lighting it up (again) in training camp.

But as for the skinsfever calling Chris Cooley injury prone...what planet are you on brother? Cooley, with the exception of the year he broke his ankle, has not missed ONE game his entire career. He sat out one half of a game with a concussion and was back the next week. In fact, up until he broke his ankle, the guy had only missed ONE practice his entire career. Cooley is the opposite of injury prone my man. In fact, this issue with him not practicing seems pretty sketchy to me....knee soreness???

A bad pick? I'm tempted to start another thread with a poll just to debate with you. How the hell was it a bad pick IN RETROSPECT. Chris Cooley is an older injury prone TE who is on the verge loosing his job to the young upcoming TE.

Please, I want to hear you support your claim of bad pick now.

I missed the part where I claimed it was a bad pick. He's a competent NFL tight end. I'm glad he's on the team. However, that doesn't mean I think he's better than Chris Cooley. I'm saying he hasn't done anything to show that he can unseat a pro-bowl caliber TE in Cooley. IMO, any ties go to Cooley. He caught 77 balls last year and Davis is gonna run him outta his job? I don't see it.

For some reason, Cooley's fallen out of favor in some circles and I really don't get it.

hmm. I must of missed those articles. I know he had issues with drops in his early days at Miami but he put in a lot of work with Dupree in Miami and seemed to have fixed that problem. I guess I was under the impression that he hadn't really dropped any balls because the tweet early said something like "Hankerson is human afterall" in regards to dropping a ball.

By all means, Hankerson should see a lot of playing time this year and may be starting by the end of the year. And it's likely he sees a lot more throws his way in practice than in games - maybe he's just thinking too much about turning upfield or something and getting back in to bad habits? I know he's worked hard - we've all seen articles and posts about his hand/eye coordination workouts and such. That's why I'm thinking it has more to do with taking his eyes off the ball.

Hopefully it's something we never actually see come to fruition (his drops) but either way, I was just making a note of it because I think he'll be a great receiver for us in a couple years.

I missed the part where I claimed it was a bad pick. He's a competent NFL tight end. I'm glad he's on the team. However, that doesn't mean I think he's better than Chris Cooley. I'm saying he hasn't done anything to show that he can unseat a pro-bowl caliber TE in Cooley. IMO, any ties go to Cooley. He caught 77 balls last year and Davis is gonna run him outta his job? I don't see it.

For some reason, Cooley's fallen out of favor in some circles and I really don't get it.

My fault I didn't mean to quote you bro. I went back and edited my post. Lately Chris has pissed me off with his fumbling problem.

glad to hear Austins name at the end there...

all i've ever seen out of that kid is big catches... I've seen him drop one ball in the pre-season last year...

other than that, he's always showing up big.

I concur. Austin always makes great plays and strides, demonstrates effort, and shows nothing but positives. I hope he makes the team.

glad to hear Austins name at the end there...

all i've ever seen out of that kid is big catches... I've seen him drop one ball in the pre-season last year...

other than that, he's always showing up big.

I like him too.

I would be in favor of keeping Niles Paul over Kelly and Austin over Banks.

What is the sentimental attachment? We are ringless. Did I miss something?

I do think there is some sort of sentimental attachment the fanbase (and organization) has towards certain players. I think things are starting to change, but in looking at teams like the Pats....they cut their losses EARLY and get good returns via trade. And "losses" might not even be the right word. They get rid of players when they are at their peak and get a good return w. picks. Use those picks for players who may get flipped a few years down the line.

Doesn't 4*15 = 60 touches?

Let's look at the most popular of fumbling running backs: enter Tiki Barber

Tiki fumbled terribly by all standards from 2000-20003 before he got it under control. During those times he averaged 240 attempts per year. During that same time period he fumbled an average of once every 27.5 times he ran the ball. Because he ran so much, he fumbled about every other game for 4 years. Now, Hightower ran the ball 153 times last year. That's about 10 times a game. In that same period of time he fumbled on an average of once every 38.5 carries. Basically....THT isn't a fumble artist like Tiki Barber was. He does need to concentrate and reduce his annual fumbles if he's going to be a featured running back. Suppose he gets 20+ carries a game...He needs to be more along the lines of CP who only fumbled about once every 54+ carries.

Well yes it does. That's very type A of you to read my post like that.

....I said 'about'.... Soooo, if he has 12 carries in game 1 and 15 carries in game 2 and 14 carries in game 3 and hasn't fumbled yet...he's due!

I think he was pointing out that the math just didn't add up. One fumble every 38 carries combined with 15 carries a game would result in one fumble every 2.53 games. That's a bit different from one fumble every 4 games.

Sorry, that was a bit pedantic.

Archived