Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training camp tweets 8/5/11

c4man5282

Shanahan has been endorsing Beck the entire time. He's said that Beck was his guy. No where has he said anything positive about Rex, not like he has about Beck. And until today, he hasn't said anything about Clemens. He has also made excuses for Beck as well, saying his arm was tired from all the reps, etc. That's all I'm saying. I'm afraid Shanny is a little tunnel-visioned on Beck, that's all.

Like everyone has said, Beck was the only one under contract.

We should be wary of putting Niles Paul on the PS. If we do that, there is a good chance he gets snatched up (provided he keeps up his current performance at training camp)

Not sure I understand all this Niles Paul love. Wasn't he a 5th RD pick? Why are people already anointing him as something special?

I'd have to say I'm starting to agree. Especially with quotes like this:

"Meanwhile, receiver Malcolm Kelly said he was limited in practice because of a sore right foot (which he said was just from running routes). He’s been icing it for a few days."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/08/redskins-notes-aug-4#ixzz1UAkr6GFP

Missing practice because your foot is sore from running routes is a pretty weak reason. I don't want to call the guy "soft" but it's starting to look that way.

exactly. especially considering hes missed almost his entire career to the same injury so far. a new coach comes in, opts to keep him last year even though hes injured again, and hes out with a sore foot???? kelly isnt just soft, hes pudding.

Kellen Clemens was in both places... at the same time, in a disguise, having coffee.

Definitely, put it in the record books. Only QB two start for two separate NFL teams and start 15 regular season games, playing 2 games on 3 Sundays (6 in 3 weeks).

The media asked him if it was wearing on him and he said, "No I'm good a compartmentalizing. For example, I could compartmentalize all of those microphones up the *** of the next guy to ask me a question."

The interview abruptly ended.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 11:35 AM ----------

Kellen Clemmens is better than John Beck, and it's not even close. What does that say?

BTW, Beck's throwing motion is fugly. Who taught that guy how to throw? Babe Laufenberg?

Reggie Miller

In response to I_Bleed_B&G asking about Hankerson's drops:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/quick-hits-rex-grossman-john-beck-compete-at-qb/2011/08/05/gIQAWaITwI_blog.html

"Rookie wideout Leonard Hankerson has made some spectacular, seemingly impossible catches, but he has dropped a lot of easy balls."

Like KDawg said though, he's a good character guy who obviously worked hard to set all those records at Miami. I think he'll work through it but I don't think he'll see a ton of playing time early on this year and if he does get an opportunity and drops the ball, it's only going to limit his opportunities going forward.

Thanks for the article

Yeah, because you never need depth in this league.

I think the point here is that when you have a pro-bowl caliber tight end coming off of a 66 rec, 786 yd, 8 TD season, and you have one of the worst offensive lines in football, you don't go out and use your 2nd round draft pick on a backup tight end.

Especially when you can get a Logan Paulsen undrafted coming out of college who will suit that role just fine.

Given the needs on the offensive line at that time, it was a phenomenally stupid pick at 48 overall.

We should be wary of putting Niles Paul on the PS. If we do that, there is a good chance he gets snatched up (provided he keeps up his current performance at training camp)

I agree. I'm hoping Paul earns his spot on the final 53. He's got great size for a receiver - he's tall but from the picture I've seen he clearly knows his way around the weight room. While he was a top recruit at receiver coming out of high school, he was most well known for his physicality in run blocking and special teams play due to some drops on offense and a run-first offense with a ****ty quarterback.

I don't think he'd last very long on our PS and I think he's a guy who could definitely earn some snaps at the end of the year and develop into a great receiver here so I don't want to lose him early.

OuterBanksTarHeel - Yes, Paul was a 5th rounder but was picked there for the above reasons. He definitely has the talent and potential to be a good receiver though combined with the fact that many of us are dying for us to finally find our own quality receiver through the draft. He's got a ton of potential and likely would have gone much higher had he played somewhere like USC where they actually can throw the ball and have quarterbacks that know how to. He had some bad drops as well from my understanding but again, has the potential and according to tweets/articles, he's had a solid camp outing so far.

@Rich_Campbell

Rich Campbell

Landry said he'd likely have Achilles' tendon surgery next offseason if it doesn't respond to the alternative treatments & rehab this time.

and this is the underlying reason you do NOT re-sign Landry until he plays on the achilles for a full season and your MDs give him a clean bill of health

that injury is a major risk for any player but especially a risky one for a team considering giving him a $12-$15 million in guarantees

i will never understand why so many people are convinced a guy who has caught 72 passes in 3 years is somehow magically better than a guy who consistently makes that many catches every year. people are basing their evaluation of fred davis purely on his draft position (4 years ago!) and a handful of games 2 years ago. it was a bad pick, get over it.

lol I guess you are a big Cooley guy, Davis is better than Cooley. Younger, stronger, faster...and will perform better when he gets the #1 spot this year. If someone offers us the second round pick for Cooley, I would expect them to take it.

Archived