Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training camp tweets 8/5/11

c4man5282

He's not a good football player....I would not give up a draft pick for Taylor Mays. Again...first guy you want off the bus for a game, but he's the last guy on the bench. All those combine #'s don't mean jack if you don't have an ounce of football smarts or technique. He's gotten by STRICTLY off of his measurables and athleticism. I'd much rather give Gomes a shot than trade for Mays.

The only knocks I've heard was his cover skills, cus he surely has no problem tackling and blitzing the QB which is what we would ask out of our SS... his cover skills may get better with time and what does it hurt to bring him in to camp, honestly? I like what I am hearing about Anderson Russel as well and wanted him to do well last year but i'd definitely give Mays a look. I am not sure I understand your quote about the bus?!

The only knocks I've heard was his cover skills, cus he surely has no problem tackling and blitzing the QB which is what we would ask out of our SS... his cover skills may get better with time and what does it hurt to bring him in to camp, honestly? I like what I am hearing about Anderson Russel as well and wanted him to do well last year but i'd definitely give Mays a look. I am not sure I understand your quote about the bus?!

Dude, did you even watch him playing last year?? You know his name from college and that is the only reason you want him here.

The guy has no football knowledge at all. Which is why he is always exposed. Think Vernon Gholston. You want him too?

I rather use a 7th rounder than give it up for Mays. That is a stupid move. Doughty is in his 6th season with the same team that drafted him. Three different coaches and all three have stuck with him. He was a 6th rounder. Mays, 2nd rounder about to be cut after a year.

Dude, did you even watch him playing last year?? You know his name from college and that is the only reason you want him here.

The guy has no football knowledge at all. Which is why he is always exposed. Think Vernon Gholston. You want him too?

I rather use a 7th rounder than give it up for Mays. That is a stupid move. Doughty is in his 6th season with the same team that drafted him. Three different coaches and all three have stuck with him. He was a 6th rounder. Mays, 2nd rounder about to be cut after a year.

+1. I am surprised about how many people here are clamoring for us to get Mays.

The only knocks I've heard was his cover skills, cus he surely has no problem tackling and blitzing the QB which is what we would ask out of our SS... his cover skills may get better with time and what does it hurt to bring him in to camp, honestly?

The team that drafted him in the 2nd round last year, sent out a league wide email looking for takers.....

Not sure if you have been watching what has been going on at Redskins park this season, but dudes like Mays have less then zero shot at making this roster.

I like Doughty, cut Horton. Some people take longer than others to adjust to the NFL... did you ever think SF wasn't using him to his abilities/strengths? And yes, I would bring Vernon Gholston in for a camp tryout, same with Jamaal Anderson (recently signed though) and Aaron Maybin.... never hurts to bring in guys. Id rather bring in high round draft picks and let them prove me wrong, then waste time on low round/ un drafted guys that I have to hope 1 out of 10 maybe, will prove me right.... at the right cost for any of these guys I might add. I would not immediately pay anyone if they are just trying out

Anyone thinking Mays would come in here and be a difference maker is a little loopy, no offense. If he comes in, he'd compete to make the roster. I don't know if he'd even come close to the starting line up. We could use him situationally if he proves he can grasp a system. Even though I'd be okay with a flier on him, I don't think he'd make the team.

The team that drafted him in the 2nd round last year, sent out a league wide email looking for takers.....

Not sure if you have been watching what has been going on at Redskins park this season, but dudes like Mays have less then zero shot at making this roster.

Thats not exactly smart business but its business none the less. If you know you're not sticking with a guy, and you recently signed a replacement anyway... why not move him immediately. I see it as being fair for both sides. Give Mays a chance to better fit somewhere else and get in to camp while he still has a fighting chance for the 2011 season and the team made room/cap space for another camp guy.

I like Doughty, cut Horton. Some people take longer than others to adjust to the NFL... did you ever think SF wasn't using him to his abilities/strengths? And yes, I would bring Vernon Gholston in for a camp tryout, same with Jamaal Anderson (recently signed though) and Aaron Maybin.... never hurts to bring in guys. Id rather bring in high round draft picks and let them prove me wrong, then waste time on low round/ un drafted guys that I have to hope 1 out of 10 maybe, will prove me right.... at the right cost for any of these guys I might add. I would not immediately pay anyone if they are just trying out

Well to me that makes no sense. If two people get cut with the same amount of time spent in the league. One can be a 2nd rounder another can be a 6th rounder. IMO, they both have the same value to me. They both were cut, because they didn't prove they belonged. To be honest, for a 2nd rounder to be cut quick, brings up way more red flags thna a 6th rounder getting cut so quick.

Yes, schemes matter, how you are used matters, and many other variables. But in this case, Mays was playing in a 3-4. We are running a 3-4.

Unfortunately no. Several articles/analyses of our practices so far and camps have talked about him dropping some easy ones. A few have even listed that as a problem for him at Miami. My thoughts are it has to be a lack of focus or taking his eyes off the ball to look downfield because the guy has monster hands, which should be easy to fix. But if this has been an ongoing problem even at Miami...Braylon had the exact same knock on him coming out of Michigan.

I think Hankerson has all the talent in the world but if he's making spectacular catches downfield only to drop an easy pass when he's open over the middle on third down, people are going to get upset...

It's EXTREMELY early so I'm just contemplating, but like I said, I've seen multiple mentions of dropS every day so far on the easy ones while he continues to impress in about every other way. #frustrating

Terrell Owens had this issue also, but managed to have a HOF career. If we can get similar production from Hankerson, I would be VERY HAPPY!!! :)

So, Taylor Mays and his 5 CAREER INTS at USC reminded you of Sean Taylor? They aren't ANYTHING alike. Taylor Mays for all his God-given physical gifts is not a good football player. [Raffy Palmiero] PERIOD. [/Raffy Palmiero]

Look man....Pete Carroll wouldn't even draft him in 2010....that should tell you all you need to know (as if the mass email by the 49ers wasn't enough LOL).

I don't see the harm in bringing him in if he's released. If he's that bad, he'll be cut anyways. No biggie.

This is my line of thinking as well. bring him in, and if he cant beat out Horton or the forever injured Kareem Moore, or Reed, then he gets chopped. This season, only the best survive.

I like Cooley too. But with a young guy in the wings (Davis), wouldn't it be smart to move Cooley now since he does have decent value? Is he part of the long-term plan here? Honestly, I don't see the point of holding on to him...

QUOTE]

2 reasons you'd hold onto him

1) He's worth more to your team (both in production and intangibles) than others are willing to offer you in compensation

2) Depending on the number of 2 TE sets we have (which I believe is quite a few), having Davis and Cooley on the field at the same time is a damn fine tandem.

So, Taylor Mays and his 5 CAREER INTS at USC reminded you of Sean Taylor? They aren't ANYTHING alike. Taylor Mays for all his God-given physical gifts is not a good football player. [Raffy Palmiero] PERIOD. [/Raffy Palmiero]

Look man....Pete Carroll wouldn't even draft him in 2010....that should tell you all you need to know (as if the mass email by the 49ers wasn't enough LOL).

Agree to disagree bro... ill leave it at that for sake of argument.

I like Cooley too. But with a young guy in the wings (Davis), wouldn't it be smart to move Cooley now since he does have decent value? Is he part of the long-term plan here? Honestly, I don't see the point of holding on to him...

QUOTE]

2 reasons you'd hold onto him

1) He's worth more to your team (both in production and intangibles) than others are willing to offer you in compensation

2) Depending on the number of 2 TE sets we have (which I believe is quite a few), having Davis and Cooley on the field at the same time is a damn fine tandem.

Intangibles? Explain.

*I mean intangibles that make him untradeable....

To be honest, I'm not all that worried at this point about Hank dropping some easy passes. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was simply due to eagerness, the desire to impress and make plays. That sort of stuff can definitely cause a guy to lose focus on an easy pass when he is thinking too soon of turning upfield and making a big play out of it. My guess (and hope) is that once he gets settled down more we won't see as many of those drops. Besides, with very few exceptions, pretty much every single NFL receicer drops easy passes sometimes.

That dropped passes crap happened to him early in his Miami days, he worked on it and improved. Personally I can't wait until he shakes off the rust/nerves and starts shining. I think this guy is going to put up strong numbers for years to come.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-36-Leonard-Hankerson-WR-Mi?urn=nfl-319675

Pros: Had a pretty serious problem with drops early in his collegiate career, but his work with former Dolphins great Mark Duper and subsequent improvement speaks to his ability to take coaching and turn it into production. Has a good understanding of, and the ability to run, the entire route tree. Hankerson is particularly polished on intermediate vertical routes that allow him to get going after the catch.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

Hankerson dropped to the 3rd round because he's had cases of the dropsies.

Go read up on the guy will ya.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-36-Leonard-Hankerson-WR-Mi?urn=nfl-319675

my take on a couple of things

Does nobody remember how horrendous of a blocker Davis is? Davis has the potential to be a game changing TE, but you need to be able to block to be a starting TE. No way he takes over Cooley's spot until he learns to block

Malcolm Kelly needs to get together with Darren McFadden for tips on how to overcome stupid injuries and learn to play with a broken nail, so he can finally live up to his potential.

Oh and it's going to take a miracle for Banks to make the final roster. A one dimensional returner who has shown to have a fumbling problem and a dropped pass problem doesn't make NFL rosters as a WR unless you have a receiving core like we did last year. He doesn't provide depth at any position, not even special teams and has "character" issues which as we all know is a pretty big deal with Shanny

why do you want to cut horton? he good depth behind landry, and has proven that he can play in the nfl

Don't know how many of these are reposts, but was reading RealRedskins and saw some interesting tweets there from Rich....

Rich_Tandler Training camp blog: A blue-collar camp. http://bit.ly/o2KRl7 #Redskins4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler You heard wrong. 3 on PUP, so still 2 spots RT @MykeKing11: who if anyone was released, last I heard the skins were at the 90 man limit 14 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler He just said he's a tackle. RT @SkinsFanDAN: @Rich_Tandler Can Locklear play guard? 14 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler #Redskins bring in OL Locklear http://www.realredskins....about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler Sounds like a zone scheme fit. RT @john_keim: Book on Locklear: moves well, but not the strongest guy. about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler RT @Greg_A_Bedard: Albert Haynesworth and Brandon Spikes were among the missing today at Patriots practice. No reason communicated yet 2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler @drWNC I don't think you're in the minority, at least among the media out here. Banks' status is very much up in the air. 2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler @NFLSkins Robinson is still thinking out there, no doubt. He's the on I'm most looking forward to seeing on Friday. 2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler @NFLSkins Disagree that they are the same player. Robinson might be a better WR right now than Banks every will be. 2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler Watch out for Aldrick Robinson http://bit.ly/os45DS3 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Rich_Tandler RT @Greg_A_Bedard: Albert Haynesworth and Brandon Spikes were among the missing today at Patriots practice. No reason communicated yet 2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

LOL :ols:

its all over now, fat boy has discovered the lobster roll.

Archived