Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: Whale puts on show for men who saved her- POWERFUL stuff. (Sniffle..)

Chachie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/humpback-whale-video_n_898859.html?ref=fb&src=sp

This video is 8 minutes long but I promise you will be positively affected. Amazing.

"The group came upon a stranded humpback whale who was so tangled in a mesh of nylon netting that she was beginning to drown, and as Fishbach noted in this video, was possibly an hour from death. The crew worked tirelessly for more than an hour to free the stranded whale and, to their elation, eventually succeeded. Then, magic happened."

I was recently at sea world and it while watching Shamu I realized that many people vastly underestimate the intelligence of these animals. While I enjoyed and was amazed by the show, I couldn't help think that these animals can't be happy with their limited freedom, especially if they came from the wild. Open seas to small enclosures. Performing for the screaming masses. I did take some solace noting that they seemed to enjoy splashing people. Must be one of their few joys and get backs.

I was recently at sea world and it while watching Shamu I realized that many people vastly underestimate the intelligence of these animals. While I enjoyed and was amazed by the show, I couldn't help think that these animals can't be happy with their limited freedom, especially if they came from the wild. Open seas to small enclosures. Performing for the screaming masses. I did take some solace noting that they seemed to enjoy splashing people. Must be one of their few joys and get backs.

Seeing them when your out on the ocean in a boat is a thousand times better than seeing them in a show. You get a real sense that something special is involved not just shelling out coin. Hell, seeing any wildlife in the wild is more thrilling than seeing them in captivity.

wow...just wow...

I will also say this....in work I do with neurobiologists and neuropsychologists, as we start to learn more and more about human intelligence and brain function (and its really just beginning though in the last 10 years alone the knowledge has grown exponenetially) we sometimes talk about various forms of animal intelligence with growing awareness of just how little we really understand about that matter....something our colleagues at the zoo and in their related fields nationally have articulated for some time...

Seeing them when your out on the ocean in a boat is a thousand times better than seeing them in a show. You get a real sense that something special is involved not just shelling out coin. Hell, seeing any wildlife in the wild is more thrilling than seeing them in captivity.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree! I took the GF shark diving in Hawaii 2 years ago. She was scared to death to get in the Shark cage, but she was the last one to get out. Getting in that cage and seeing nothing but the Cobalt blue water with no bottom and watching the slim gray shape of the shark glide past you is breath taking. Beautiful animals.

wow...just wow...

I will also say this....in work I do with neurobiologists and neuropsychologists, as we start to learn more and more about human intelligence and brain function (and its really just beginning though in the last 10 years alone the knowledge has grown exponenetially) we sometimes talk about various forms of animal intelligence with growing awareness of just how little we really understand about that matter....something our colleagues at the zoo and in their related fields nationally have articulated for some time...

For me, it's the little things. Though I didn't post there, I was fascinated by the thread about wild parrots "naming" their young. It was one of those "damn, we're just animals, and they're FAR more than we give them credit for" kind of moments.

As I've gotten older, I've found that what's important in life has changed drastically. It's the little things, the unexpected little moments that matter to me now. And it's the little things that we see in the animal kingdom -- those little glimpses of things that aren't so different from us -- that really make me stop and stare in awe.

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 06:56 PM ----------

Absolutely beautiful video. Thanks for sharing some good news, and something heart-warming, Chachie. In a world seemingly full of bad news, this should be required viewing.

Sometimes, you got to give it up for the fanatic tree huggers ;)

And I agree with most of you. There are so many wonders and discoveries in the natural world and the degree to which we underestimate our fellow creatures or are surprised by them is one of the delights of life.

Cool. Very,very,cool. That was one very happy,thankful girl. Glad the folks on the boat found her and took the risk to free her. :)

(Note to self. Take camera West and get pics of whales some time......soon).

At the end of a long day that's seen me say something's I shouldn't of in the heat of the moment to family member's, that's just brought a lump to my throat and brought home once again how precious life is. The connection between such a magnificent creature and the guys that freed her was a special watch.

Thank you Cachie for sharing that find.

Hail.

Archived