Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Jury has reached a verdict in Casey Anthony trial [NOT GUILTY]

Toe Jam

Does anyone know how many children are murdered each year? The only number I could find was one on Wiki that said there were almost 1500 child homicides in 2008.

Just wondering where all the outrage is for the rest of them...that being said, Casey wasn't convicted of murder, but I'm sure she'll rot in hell.

Exactly. Plenty of parents abuse or otherwise harm their children. This is just another case, and one that is getting far too much attention. Murderers and rapists, and especially serial killers are who I am interested in. People who you know will do it again if given the chance. I don't see her as someone who is going to find someone else's child and kill it too. I could break Casey Anthony over my knee. That is why I couldn't care less about her.

What was he charged with? I don't think it was "believing that they were innocent".

From Wikipedia:

On April 12, 2007, the attorney general, in declaring Evans, Finnerty, and Seligmann innocent, also called Nifong a "rogue prosecutor". Nifong was ordered disbarred on June 16, 2007 after the bar's three-member disciplinary panel unanimously found him guilty of fraud, dishonesty, deceit or misrepresentation; of making false statements of material fact before a judge; of making false statements of material fact before bar investigators, and of lying about withholding exculpatory DNA evidence.

On August 31, 2007, Nifong was convicted of criminal contempt for knowingly making false statements during the criminal proceedings. Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III sentenced Nifong to a single day in jail.

What would they be charged with?

I don't know! :) To me that is deliberately framing someone for a crime they didn't commit. Fraud? no. I don't know. Just was saying it's part of a defense lawyer's job to defend the defendant, even if they're guilty, but a prosecutor is not expected to prosecute the innocent.

So Casey Anthony accused her father of negligently letting his beloved granddaughter Cayley Anthony drown in his swimming pool and then for some bizarre, unexplainable reason, duct taped the dead girl's mouth and dumped the body in a swamp to make it look like a murder. (This same man who lovingly buried family pets would dump his granddaughter in a swamp?!?) Then she claims that her father AND her brother sexually abused her.

Imagine the next Anthony Thanksgiving dinner.

Casey Anthony, through bizarre, pathological lying and continuing narcissic manipulation of her family, managed to get away with murder.

And that shows you how seriously 'the system' takes it when a prosecutor behaves both unprofessionally and illegally on multiple matters.

Disbarred is a pretty stiff penalty as well. Especially if he is unable to practice in other states, which probably won't be the case.

This is why I don't plan to go into Law School. I'd have to live with helping a murderer get off.

Because that's the only kind of legal work there is, I guess.

Defense work is not for everyone. I don't think I could do it full time. But I clerked at a legal defense firm and it was fun. Granted, I was not dealing with a child murderer, but your job becomes "Beat the government," which I think is a noble task.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

Or you could convict innocent people and ruin their lives. :evilg:

Or you could, I don't know, do title searches.....

Because that's the only kind of legal work there is' date=' I guess.

[/b']

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

Or you could, I don't know, do title searches.....

See the earlier part of your post.

And that shows you how seriously 'the system' takes it when a prosecutor behaves both unprofessionally and illegally on multiple matters.

He was disbarred which is an unbelievably stiff punishment.

He was sentenced to jail for a contempt of court charge.

The Nifong case is an extreme example though. I don't think its typical for prosecutors to go that far off that rails. I certainly don't think that every innocent person in jail is there because of an unethical prosecutor.

Why is it a stiff punishment? He had no interest in ethical behavior. Why should he be allowed to practice?

I don't think its typical for prosecutors to go that far off that rails. I certainly don't think that every innocent person in jail is there because of an unethical prosecutor.

Certainly not, but there are plenty who will look at a case, throw some **** at the jury and try their luck.

He was sentenced to jail for a contempt of court charge.

The Nifong case is an extreme example though. I don't think its typical for prosecutors to go that far off that rails. I certainly don't think that every innocent person in jail is there because of an unethical prosecutor.

Tell that to the defendants. The system should have intervened in that case because of Nifong and his criminality.

sigh

it's proof beyond reasonable doubt, not proof based on sound bytes you heard on the news

I bet y'all would feel differently if you were sitting on the jury and actually took your responsibility seriously.

Regardless, can't wait till I become a crim defense attorney... what an awesome job

I agree. As much as I think the prosecutors didn't do a good enough job, I give them credit for being on the right side. I know everyone deserves a defense, I just don't know how people can do it, especially when they know whether their client is innocent/guilty. Obviously fighting for an innocent client is easy, but how do you work so hard and fight so passionately for someone, who at best, was a pathological liar and partied days after her daughter "drowned"?

Here is something I heard from Alan Dershowitz years ago: If you only want to defend innocent people, do not become a defense attorney. Police and prosecutors are actually pretty good at their jobs. That means that when someone is charged with a crime, the odds are that they did it.

However, the Constitution states that every person deserves a defense. And fulfilling that obligation is important.

Here are the ways to do it and sleep well at night:

1. Never ask, did you do it? That's not a question you want or need answered.

2. View your job as not being Perry Mason and helping to free the innocent. View your job as making the government prove that it should be allowed to take away a citizen's liberty.

3. See yourself as an important piece of the judicial machinery.

I don't like the flashy high profile defense attorneys, but - in all honesty - there is not that many of them because there is not that many defendants who can afford them.

Because that's the only kind of legal work there is' date=' I guess.

Defense work is not for everyone. I don't think I could do it full time. But I clerked at a legal defense firm and it was fun. Granted, I was not dealing with a child murderer, but your job becomes "Beat the government," which I think is a noble task.[/quote']

Beating the govt but at what cost? At the end of day rather than happy you won the case you have to look in the mirror and shake your head knowing you allowed a killer to go right back on the street. That's a no win situation.

sigh

it's proof beyond reasonable doubt, not proof based on sound bytes you heard on the news

I bet y'all would feel differently if you were sitting on the jury and actually took your responsibility seriously.

Regardless, can't wait till I become a crim defense attorney... what an awesome job

yeah, was there no reasonable doubt on the abuse charge? i dont understand how there was no reasonable doubt for that charge.

Archived