Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Jury has reached a verdict in Casey Anthony trial [NOT GUILTY]

Toe Jam

Tell that to the defendants. The system should have intervened in that case because of Nifong and his criminality.

And it did. Within 7 months of the case hitting his desk, Nifong was facing ethics charges. I think that's fairly quick for a profession to deal with one of its own.

The legal system is not really built to fix problems as they are happening. You take an oath and presume that everyone else is following that same oath. When it starts to go off the rails, you can't just have someone arrested.

Well, hopefully the only job this girl can get is bagging groceries at the local Safeway. However, I can see some dumb-ass publication giving her money to pose, like playboy. :mad:

Please your insulting my second job.Courtesy clerk manager. I'm currently at my other job right now though. lol.

Beating the govt but at what cost? At the end of day rather than happy you won the case you have to look in the mirror and shake your head knowing you allowed a killer to go right back on the street. That's a no win situation.

Well, it's the government's job to win that argument. What's the alternative? Do you want defendants not being defended? Do you want the defense attorney standing in open court and saying "He did it!"

Anyway, the vast majority of criminal defense work is mitigating the damages. 95 percent of felony convictions come from the result of a plea bargain.

Generally speaking, I'm more concerned with a society that sends the innocent to prison than one that frees the guilty.

Here is something that no one discusses. It's really really really expensive to compete with the government. Prosecutors have police departments and crime labs and medical professional and assistant DAs and law clerks all on the payroll. They are getting paid whether there is a crime or not.

I spent a summer doing nothing but listening to tapes of an undercover investigation trying to find evidence of entrapment. Someone had to pay me for that.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

Most importantly....what the hell is Nancy Grace going to do NOW?

I'm sure another cute kid will die soon.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 03:14 PM ----------

Seriously though..if she (Anthony) were to come out on CNN in say, a year, and admit that she did indeed kill her daughter, she could not be punished, correct? Since she was tried and found not guilty. Obviously she isn't going to do that.

Double jeopardy has attached. She could stand in front of the courthouse right now and sing a song called "I'm so happy that I killed her" and nothing could be done.

Well' date=' it's the government's job to win that argument. What's the alternative? Do you want defendants not being defended? Do you want the defense attorney standing in open court and saying "He did it!"

Anyway, the vast majority of criminal defense work is mitigating the damages. 95 percent of felony convictions come from the result of a plea bargain.

Generally speaking, I'm more concerned with a society that sends the innocent to prison than one that frees the guilty.

Here is something that no one discusses. It's really really really expensive to compete with the government. Prosecutors have police departments and crime labs and medical professional and assistant DAs and law clerks all on the payroll. They are getting paid whether there is a crime or not.

I spent a summer doing nothing but listening to tapes of an undercover investigation trying to find evidence of entrapment. Someone had to pay me for that.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

I'm sure another cute kid will die soon.

No. I'm saying if you knew in your heart that someone was a killer would you defend them? Even if you truly knew they were one. Would you? Would you be willing to put all that aside and defend them? This isn't about defense attorneys not trying when it comes to defending. This is about a person putting aside morals and values to defend a killer. Knowing you walk home to your kid(s) and you spent the day defending someone who killed the very thing you hug in your arms when you get home everyday.

There seems to be a misconception about something. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is not the same thing as proof beyond any doubt.

Regardless, there is not even a shadow of doubt in my mind that this girl is guilty. Had I been on that jury, I would have hung it. I am shocked and appalled by the verdict.

At times like this, I hope there is a God, and I hope that He is just.

Here is something I heard from Alan Dershowitz years ago: If you only want to defend innocent people' date=' do not become a defense attorney. Police and prosecutors are actually pretty good at their jobs. That means that when someone is charged with a crime, the odds are that they did it.

However, the Constitution states that every person deserves a defense. And fulfilling that obligation is important.

Here are the ways to do it and sleep well at night:

1. Never ask, did you do it? That's not a question you want or need answered.

2. View your job as not being Perry Mason and helping to free the innocent. View your job as making the government prove that it should be allowed to take away a citizen's liberty.

3. See yourself as an important piece of the judicial machinery.

I don't like the flashy high profile defense attorneys, but - in all honesty - there is not that many of them because there is not that many defendants who can afford them.[/quote']

I'm interning at a public defender office, and that outlook is shared by most of the attorneys. But the idea that a lot or most of our clients "did it" doesn't really make the defending them too hard. Hell, if it's so obvious that they did it, then a jury will convict them. (or more likely they'll plead out before it ever gets to that point). The thing about defense work is, that sentencing is so draconian, that even in the majority of cases where the guy "did it" you still can have a personalized goal of getting them less time... and 95% of cases don't end up in a trial anyway.

Still, it's good not be completely detached because every once in a while the gov't decides to charge someone that's obviously not guilty... and it feels awfully good to save someone's life/liberty.

Well, hopefully the only job this girl can get is bagging groceries at the local Safeway. However, I can see some dumb-ass publication giving her money to pose, like playboy. :mad:

She is gonna get paid and be a celebrity as is Jose Baez. Baez is the new Johnny Cochran and she will be paid big money for interviews asap and will be writing a book and probably a movie as well.

Dumb ass jury. IMO More concerned with lying to cops than what happened to the little girl.
My wife DVR'ed every minute of this trial. The prosecution could not link Casey to anything other than lieing. Being a bad person and parent is not a crime. There was more than reasonable doubt. There are literally 10 holes in the prosecutions case. Anyone watching with an unbiased eye could see that there would never be a conviction on any charge other than lieing to the cops.

No. I'm saying if you knew in your heart that someone was a killer would you defend them? Even if you truly knew they were one. Would you? Would you be willing to put all that aside and defend them? This isn't about defense attorneys not trying when it comes to defending. This is about a person putting aside morals and values to defend a killer. Knowing you walk home to your kid(s) and you spent the day defending someone who killed the very thing you hug in your arms when you get home everyday.

How do I know that?

If I was a defense attorney and Ted Bundy was sitting across the table from me and said, "I did x, y, and z....," I would have a few options.

1. I could find another attorney for him, providing it did not prejudice his defense and the court allowed it. Just dropping a client because you don't like them is not ethical.

2. Judging by the amount of evidence the state had, the next step is to look for some kind of plea bargain. In a case where you know 100 percent that your client is guilty, it's probably a bad decision to actually take that case to the jury. So, you would be working in your client's best interests in this situation.

3. If 1 and 2 are not an option, you make the best defense you can. You don't have to tell a jury "He/She is innocent." All you have to do is create doubt. And, again, making the government be vigilant is a necessity.

Defense work is hard. And any good defense attorney is going to have a nightmare scenario in their career. But any good prosecutor is going to have one where they suspect they did the wrong thing too.

Jose_Baez_Deal_With_It.gif

Enough of my image posting. Time for a rare serious moment.

I thought she was guilty. I thought the prosecution put up a good case depicting her as this ***** party girl who couldn't handle a child. Her behavior after her child disappeared was awfully suspicious. I thought she'd get time or the death penalty. I was a little surprised that she wasn't guilty.

All I want now is for this trial and media blitz and glamour to die down. It was the "Twitter" case blown way out of proportion, covered vehemently by every single major news outlet in America and shoved down our throats. Now it's time for the media to hopefully focus on something else

I'm interning at a public defender office, and that outlook is shared by most of the attorneys. But the idea that a lot or most of our clients "did it" doesn't really make the defending them too hard. Hell, if it's so obvious that they did it, then a jury will convict them. (or more likely they'll plead out before it ever gets to that point). The thing about defense work is, that sentencing is so draconian, that even in the majority of cases where the guy "did it" you still can have a personalized goal of getting them less time... and 95% of cases don't end up in a trial anyway.

Still, it's good not be completely detached because every once in a while the gov't decides to charge someone that's obviously not guilty... and it feels awfully good to save someone's life/liberty.

That's the point I'm trying to make. This idea that defense attorneys just let streams of people walk out of the court house free is silly. If you only watched high profile cases, you might think that but high profile cases are a) very rare and B) usually involve people who can afford the absolute best defense attorneys.

I think most of them convince themselves the person is not guilty. You have to figure this trial is 3 years long. In those 3 years the defense team is constantly telling themselves "She is innocent. She did not do it"

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 04:30 PM ----------

My wife DVR'ed every minute of this trial. The prosecution could not link Casey to anything other than lieing. Being a bad person and parent is not a crime. There was more than reasonable doubt. There are literally 10 holes in the prosecutions case. Anyone watching with an unbiased eye could see that there would never be a conviction on any charge other than lieing to the cops.

What confuses me if how you can get her on all counts of lyign the police but not get her on 2nd degree on manslaughter (or even child endangerment at the least)

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

That's the point I'm trying to make. This idea that defense attorneys just let streams of people walk out of the court house free is silly. If you only watched high profile cases' date=' you might think that but high profile cases are a) very rare and B) usually involve people who can afford the absolute best defense attorneys.[/quote']

Last question. How is she paying for her lawyers? Are the parents helping (I would doubt it) or did they take it on probono?

I think most of them convince themselves the person is not guilty. You have to figure this trial is 3 years long. In those 3 years the defense team is constantly telling themselves "She is innocent. She did not do it."

Please, there is not a defense attorney in the country who believes that about their clients.

Get drunk with a public defender sometime.

Please' date=' there is not a defense attorney in the country who believes that about their clients.

[/quote']

Really? I was just taking a stab in the dark, but I will take your word for it

Get drunk with a public defender sometime.

I have to get into (and finish) law school first but hopefully I will have that chance one day :)

That's the point I'm trying to make. This idea that defense attorneys just let streams of people walk out of the court house free is silly. If you only watched high profile cases' date=' you might think that but high profile cases are a) very rare and B) usually involve people who can afford the absolute best defense attorneys.[/quote']

oh I wasn't disagreeing, mostly just trying to put my $0.02 in

Unreal.

I fully believe she did this...but the prosecution did not meet the burden of proof, IMO.

I take comfort, just like I did in the OJ trial where I thought the murderer got away with it, that whatever she did or did not do will be between her and God.

I think most of them convince themselves the person is not guilty. You have to figure this trial is 3 years long. In those 3 years the defense team is constantly telling themselves "She is innocent. She did not do it"

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 04:30 PM ----------

What confuses me if how you can get her on all counts of lyign the police but not get her on 2nd degree on manslaughter (or even child endangerment at the least)---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

Last question. How is she paying for her lawyers? Are the parents helping (I would doubt it) or did they take it on probono?

Not trying to pick on you, but I think this is a problem a lot of people are having, and if you think about its sort of a silly problem. Everyone seems convinced she lied to the police. But, lying to the police is not the same thing as causing the death of another person. I can literally think of a million reasons why she would have lied to the police even if she was truly innocent of murder. Its the prosecutions burden to prove, not just that she lied to the cops, but that she also caused the death of her daughter. Those are two totally different things.

I didn't watch much of this case. Every legal professional I know that has seen anything about it has said the prosecution did NOT prove murder. Lying and murder are way way apart.

Really? I was just taking a stab in the dark, but I will take your word for it

Like Prosperity said, most defense attorneys assume their clients have done something to show up in their office. On occasion, you may find someone who is "clearly" innocent...but that's the Holy Grail.

Let me ask these questions, How often do you think people are picked up for speeding when they aren't speeding? How often do you think someone is arrested for possession of a narcotic when they don't have narcotics? How many sober people are picked up for drunk driving? How many shoplifters didn't shoplift?

So, why would you think people arrested for felonies are innocent of felonies?

The number one job for any defense attorney is usually to get the lightest sentence possible. Sometimes, the lightest sentence is none, because the jury takes your side.

Archived