Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone explain Seinfeld to me

Capt. Kaos

The Library Cop is easily my favorite short term character.

Anyone that can't laugh when he confronts Jerry in his apartment for the overdue book fine... well, you're just broken inside.

~Bang

You can put me in that category. I "get it"... in what the show is trying to do. But it sucks.

Booooo.

Seasons 2-4 of The Office were absolutely classic - but to each their own I guess.

Seinfeld is definitely one of the greatest shows ever, although I think I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm more now.

I think with Seinfeld it depends on what era of the show you are watching. The first half of the nine-year run was great, but toward the end of when Larry David was thereand after he left, the show seemed to stagnate.

Not sure what that statement means.

Larry David was there from the beginning and was probably more influential to the show than Jerry Seinfeld was. If you watch CYE you can see that Larry was probably responsible for the vast majority of the humor that made the show so popular.

---------- Post added June-2nd-2011 at 03:42 PM ----------

No surprise there. Arent they the same producers/creators ?

See my post above.

There aren't any characters like Kramer but the type of humor is the same and can be a lot edgier and darker since there are no censors on HBO.

there are two shows which i reference constantly and often have references swimming around in my head.

They are seinfeld and simpsons.

I've seen every episode so many times for both shows

do you know what a balm does

qft!!!

The Seinfeld show is just Jerry Seinfelds comedy act, personified through acting out scenes between a group of friends. Its observational humor, and observational humor ruled the comedy scene in the 90's. Janine Gerofalo, Lovitz, Carlin, all indulged in observational humor. Its dry, can be witty, and because it is humor in the form of asking questions about everyday occurrences, lots of people relate to the humor and it catches on.

I like story telling humor much better. Dave Chappelle and Richard Pryor are some of my favorates. Chappelle did a show at the Warner Theatre a few years back and absolutely killed it. I think it was called "Killin them softly". Richard Pryor sets the bar though with his "Mudbone and Little Feets" stand up on his "Is it something I said" album. Hillarity.

Now this puts things in perspective a little more than before. I didnt know that the show was based on his stand up. I havent made it more than 5 minutes into any of his routines before I wanted to dig my eardrums out with rusty spoons.

Now this puts things in perspective a little more than before. I didnt know that the show was based on his stand up. I havent made it more than 5 minutes into any of his routines before I wanted to dig my eardrums out with rusty spoons.

Yeah, his shows would usually open with him on stage doing a little bit of his act, then the weird/funny synthasizer sound effect would come on, and then the opening theme song and credits. Thats why in the final episode of the show, they are all in a jail cell together, and Jerry looks at George and how his suit coat only has one button... buttoned. Jerry starts going into his observational humor schtick about the how and whys its correct to only button the top button (something like that) and the show completes its full circle. They all start having an observational conversation with each other right there in the jail cell.

The Seinfeld show is just Jerry Seinfelds comedy act, personified through acting out scenes between a group of friends. Its observational humor, and observational humor ruled the comedy scene in the 90's. Janine Gerofalo, Lovitz, Carlin, all indulged in observational humor. Its dry, can be witty, and because it is humor in the form of asking questions about everyday occurrences, lots of people relate to the humor and it catches on.

That can't be it.

I mean, who here can relate to eating Snickers Bars with a fork and knife ? :)

UxB-H6f3crY

A top 10 for me is The Opposite. Soup Nazi is very overrated. The rest of the episode outside the Nazi is decent except the two gay street thugs of course.

When he is interviewing with the Yankees before Steinbrenner comes and the guy goes "Do you talk to everyone like this?", "Yes, of course."

"My daughter said you were different, you're exactly what this organization needs!"

Seinfeld is great to me just because of the dialogue. There are really four conversations going on at one time in some scenes. I'm really interested in the way people talk to each other so it's a lot of fun for me.

The Office was great for the first three seasons. It was simply the most well-written comedy I had ever seen. I loved the characters, the tone and how painfully realistic it could be. It's pretty dreadful these days, though.

However, it's hard to really explain why a comedy is great. Humor is extremely subjective.

Chick-fil-A, on the other hand, is factually the best fast food restaurant ever. What is there not to get? :P

I cant see all the vids at work. :( The episode with the Kenny Rogers Roasters always sticks out in my mind, also the one where the japanese business men sleep in Kramers dresser drawers and bc he had the hot tub going in the same room, the humidity made the dresser drawers stick and they all got stuck in the dresser and jerry has to chop them out with an ax.

I like story telling humor much better. Dave Chappelle and Richard Pryor are some of my favorates. Chappelle did a show at the Warner Theatre a few years back and absolutely killed it. I think it was called "Killin them softly". Richard Pryor sets the bar though with his "Mudbone and Little Feets" stand up on his "Is it something I said" album. Hillarity.

Have to disagree.

No sitcom did a better job with "story telling humor" than Seinfeld did. Most sitcoms struggle to come up one story thread an episode. Seinfeld would tell multiple stories in one episode and tie them all together brilliantly in the end. To me, that was the show's trademark. The idea that the show was just Jerry Seinfeld's act is ridiculous. He just meshed perfectly with what Larry David created and has now replicated in Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfield was comedic storytelling at it's finest.

Of course, it's all subjective in the end. People like what they like.

Have to disagree.

No sitcom did a better job with "story telling humor" than Seinfeld did. Most sitcoms struggle to come up one story thread an episode. Seinfeld would tell multiple stories in one episode and tie them all together brilliantly in the end. To me, that was the show's trademark. The idea that the show was just Jerry Seinfeld's act is ridiculous. He just meshed perfectly with what Larry David created and has now replicated in Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfield was comedic storytelling at it's finest.

Exactly! Sweet Jesus someone has seen the light. And it always ends with one of them being screwed or having just been screwed.

I know a guy that hates Seinfeld but loves Always Sunny. Some people just need it dumbed down for them I guess.

Did you tell him it's the same show? Because it's the same basic show. The first 5 seasons of Sunny were about as close as you could get with that style of show.

Have to disagree.

Of course, it's all subjective in the end. People like what they like.

Of course the Seinfeld show had to tell a story, its a situational comedy based on observational humor. The genesis of his humor and the genesis of the show, and the shows banter is observation based, just like Jerry Seinfelds stand up act. Yes, a story takes place, multiple stories take place, and are tied together in the end. Thats why when the show starts with jerry on stage he will sometimes address the audience by saying "Why is it that..." that is observational humor, and its the base of each skit. I agree, stories are told, but it would be kind of hard to do a tv show without telling some kind of story. The jokes in each show or story, is based on observation. Like when Jerry notices someone twirling an umbrella on the street corner as they sell them, and Jerry takes credit for that. The "story" or segment is built around Jerry's observation. The same with the final conversation in the final episode, that's why they have that final conversation about the button on the coat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observational_comedy

http://quotations.about.com/od/funnymovieandtvquotes/a/seinfeld4.htm

Dave Chappelle show doesn't have as much of a "its funny bc its true" feel to it. Its more a play on extreme sarcasm like "The Racial Draft" or "World Series of Dice" or the "Haters Ball" sketch. Its more the far extremes of sarcasm and the stories are told with the jokes being either racial or sarcastic in nature, often times both.

The parallel isn't made clear when referencing both TV shows, rather look at both of their stand up comedy acts, Seinfeld made his bread on observational humor, Chappelle made his bread on sarcasm and racial humor, telling stories of how limo drivers took him through the ghetto and he buys pot from a baby on a street corner that needs to support its kids.... This is just my opinion though, and you say it best by saying that its all subjective in the end, this is just how I see it.

Archived