Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone explain Seinfeld to me

Capt. Kaos

Sparked by all the love Seinfeld is getting in This Thread , can someone please explain the appeal to me.

I don't get it, I don't find anything about the show even remotely funny. I've tried watching episodes based on recommendations from fans, I've watched episodes based on best-of lists, and I've simply turned the show on and tried to get it. Nothing, not even a chuckle.

The plots, or lack of, are mind numbing, the characters are moronic (at best), the premise is dull and boring, and the entire concept is blah.

While your at it you can help me with:

The Office and Chick-fil-a

If you don't like at least one of these: The Office, Chick Fil A or Seinfeld, there is not enough explaining in the world to fix what is wrong with you.

He probably doesn't like sex, either.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain sex to him.

The part I loved about it was that there was no central story like other sitcoms. It was also sarcastic, well written, and intelligent. I didn't get it at first either. It took me a little while to appreciate, but once I did I found it genius. Curb Your Enthusiasm is great as hell also.

I also think many fans of the show could relate the things that were happening on the show to themselves. Most of them were pet peeves and people can relate to that sort of thing very easily.

The last part of its appeal was that it was entirely made up of jokes not used on other shows. Most sitcoms revolved around marriage jokes, children jokes, and things we've seen on TV many times before. Seinfeld was different, it was new ground that got covered and people grew to love that about the show.

If you don't like at least one of these: The Office, Chick Fil A or Seinfeld, there is not enough explaining in the world to fix what is wrong with you.

QFT.

What made the show funny was dancing around censorship with "it"

"He took it out?"

Also George and Kramer

If you don't think George or Kramer was funny for all the manneruisms they did, I can't help you

If you didn't think Kramer banging the table to get Joe DiMaggio's attention wasn't funny, I can't help you

As much **** as Michael Richards got for his standup explosion, Kramer remains oen of the funniest characaters in TV history.

There are basically a trillion hilarious Kramer moments.

The show had so many funny people who would get into the most awkward situations. The rabbi with a big mouth. Elaine. "Nip slip". George. George's dad "Cabana Wear", Kramer, Bob Saccamano, George Steinbrenner "BIG STEIN WANTS A CALZONE", Bubble Boy "Moops", Kenny Bania, the NBC exec with the daughter who George stared at her cleavage too long, the Dominicans, etc, Franklin Delano Romonowski

If you didn't find the show funny you didn't watch it long enough or that kind of INSIDE JOKE HUMOR is not for you

SERENITY NOW

---------- Post added June-2nd-2011 at 02:44 PM ----------

There are two shows which I reference constantly and often have references swimming around in my head.

They are Seinfeld and Simpsons.

I've seen every episode so many times for both shows

DO YOU KNOW WHAT A BALM DOES

The show was creative, and far more creative than other shows.

You what schtick I'm sick of, from all the other sitcoms ??

Seems like in every episode, of every other sitcom, they use that same old thing half a dozen times where somebody says something like this........

"I am NOT EVER AGAIN going to do (such and such)"......and then 2 seconds later, they do it again..... then we get a barrage of recorder laughter.

Dear Lord, that dumb thing gets old :rolleyes:

1- You can see very clearly the Abbott and Costello influence (Seinfeld's comedic heroes). The entire show is based on their comedy in that all of the situations are based on a misunderstanding.

2- The real secret to the show is that it was the first sitcom in American History where all of the characters were shallow, petty, pretty-much-disgusting human beings. It worked beautifully.

I think with Seinfeld it depends on what era of the show you are watching. The first half of the nine-year run was great, but toward the end of when Larry David was thereand after he left, the show seemed to stagnate.

And CK, count me as another who doesn't get The Office.

1- You can see very clearly the Abbott and Costello influence (Seinfeld's comedic heroes). The entire show is based on their comedy in that all of the situations are based on a misunderstanding.

2- The real secret to the show is that it was the first sitcom in American History where all of the characters were shallow, petty, pretty-much-disgusting human beings. It worked beautifully.

Also, their brilliance is evidence by the fact that so many other sitcoms have copied their style - the extreme, psychotic, paranoia, leading to insane situations no-one could have imagined or predicted.

Key word there is predicted. EVERY OTHER SHOW (except the ones that copied Seinfeld) is PREDICTABLE

The characters are fantastic. You have Kramer, the super eccentric, on another planet neighbor of Jerry who always makes a fool of himself and always accidentally screws everyone over cause he doesn't know any better. And he comes up with the funniest entrepreneurship ideas like the 'bro'. Oh and he somehow gets by without a job for 9 years. You have George, one of the best characters in sitcom history. Self loathing, cheap, neurotic and a lying mastermind who lives with his parents half the time. I mean he is just so despicable you admire how someone could have so little a conscience. Jerry is the smug, germophobe who is such a prick when it comes to relationships. He finds the most absurd reasons to dislike his girlfriends. Then there's Elaine, the sharp-talking, gets around girl of the group. Pretty selfish herself and very prideful. Also finds the most ridiculous reasons to end relationships.

The supporting cast is where it goes over the top whether it be the Costanzas, the Seinfelds, Jackie Chiles, Newman, Kenny Banya, Jack Klompus, Steinbrenner, Mr. Pit and Mr. Peterman, Tim Whatley or one of Kramer's 8,000 friends. I mean how can you not like Frank Costanza?

What makes it great is how they all are friends but have no respect for society or even each other but you don't realize it while the episode is taking place. Plus you know a sitcom is good when you go through every day life ans say haha, this exact situation was on Seinfeld, and you can say that for a lot of very specific situations. Plus all the names they have for types of people like low talkers, high talkers or re-gifters, massage teasers, mimbo's, close talkers etc.

Oh and the parodies of pop culture stuff like the O.J. Simpson chase.

Why's it good? Because it talks about the little things and it stays away from the "hey we're a nice happy family and life is good" stuff that tries to teach lessons.

The Seinfeld show is just Jerry Seinfelds comedy act, personified through acting out scenes between a group of friends. Its observational humor, and observational humor ruled the comedy scene in the 90's. Janine Gerofalo, Lovitz, Carlin, all indulged in observational humor. Its dry, can be witty, and because it is humor in the form of asking questions about everyday occurrences, lots of people relate to the humor and it catches on.

I like story telling humor much better. Dave Chappelle and Richard Pryor are some of my favorates. Chappelle did a show at the Warner Theatre a few years back and absolutely killed it. I think it was called "Killin them softly". Richard Pryor sets the bar though with his "Mudbone and Little Feets" stand up on his "Is it something I said" album. Hillarity.

Archived