Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone explain Seinfeld to me

Capt. Kaos

(Disclaimer- I read about 4 pages of the thread then skipped to the end.)

I think I understand why the OP doesn't like Seinfeld or The Office.

Both find their humor almost entirely predicated upon uncomfortable situations and conflict. Ben Stiller's movies are very much the same.

Put someone in an awkward, uncomfortable situation, watch them squirm. To some people the reactions and situations are funny, to others they aren't. I'm halfway in on Seinfeld and The Office largely for these reasons, so I can understand how someone might be totally turned off by it.

Chick Fil-A on the other hand, there's no earthly reason to dislike that place.

Example, I can't really watch Meet the Parents because I feel too damn bad for the guy to laugh.

Also, that kind of irreverent comedy paved the way for everything that came after it. Any funny show today has at least some roots in seinfeld. The most influential comedy ever.

I Love Lucy's influence dwarfs Seinfeld's...It revolutionized television shows in a multitude of ways. Seinfeld definitely has roots in I Love Lucy's comedy.

I Love Lucy's influence dwarfs Seinfeld's...It revolutionized television shows in a multitude of ways. Seinfeld definitely has roots in I Love Lucy's comedy.

by definition, really... as one of the first major TV shows. It a bit like saying Henry Ford, and Mr Benz (et al) revolutuionized the auto industry like no modern car makers have done! (uhm... no doubt true)

but to the original question: "can someone explain Seinfeld to me"

answer: "it is funny"

Most sitcoms have that in common. The neighbors and the situations with them interacting. I love Lucy and the Honeymooners may have been the first ones to make it that big though.

I am not a big Sienfeld fan either. It has moments but I think the soup nazi thing is completely overrated.

Never watched it when it was on every week. And caught a few episodes here and there with some funny moments. But the soup one was not really that funny.

I'm a Seinfeld super-fan and that's the most overrated episode easily. The Bubble Boy is much, much better.

Exactly: The show was about 'Nothing".

Exactly. And during the season where Jerry & George were trying to get a pilot green lit on NBC about them, they even came out & said what we've got here is a show about nothing. :ols:

Exactly. And during the season where Jerry & George were trying to get a pilot green lit on NBC about them, they even came out & said what we've got here is a show about nothing. :ols:

Or when Jerry is dating that supermodel and she says - I never met a man who knew so much about...nothing!

by definition, really... as one of the first major TV shows. It a bit like saying Henry Ford, and Mr Benz (et al) revolutuionized the auto industry like no modern car makers have done! (uhm... no doubt true)

That's like saying Chuck Berry was influential merely because he was one of the first lol...No, Chuck Berry was influential because the genius he brought to the music world lived on and inspired hundreds of musicians for 50 years."I Love Lucy" was the Chuck Berry of TV sitcoms, and not merely in how it conveyed comedy. The behind-the-scenes aspects of "I Love Lucy" are still being utilized today...Hell, Dezi Arnaz practically invented the modern sitcom with how he and Lucille Ball decided to produce their show.

Most sitcoms have that in common. The neighbors and the situations with them interacting. I love Lucy and the Honeymooners may have been the first ones to make it that big though.

Nah, not talking about simply the type of characters...The Honeymooners "invented" the crazy, wacky side kick neighbor. I Love Lucy didn't have that crazy, wacky neighbor character in their cast...Lucy was the crazy, wacky one and everyone else was her straight man. She played off them.

But I was referring to the entirety of the show--how it was written, where the show took place (THE original New York sitcom), etc, etc...You watch the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer tries to put the cement into the washing machine lol...Pure Lucy. You watch the episode of I Love Lucy where Lucy gets drunk rehearsing for the Vitameatavegimin commercial lol...Pure Kramer. Hell, Vitameatavagimin even sounds like a Kramer idea :ols:...

Don't agree with the OP about Seinfeld, but do agree about 'The Office' which is boring as all hell and as far as Chick-Fil-A Goes? I will never, EVER understand the appeal.

I have eaten there plenty of times, but certainly don't think it is good to the point that it warrants acting like some people do. Which is basically masturbate over how "good' there food is.

All I can say is, if you think that Chick-Fil-A is to die for your Momma must have been a ****ty (rhymes with kitty) cook.

Seinfeld is god awful terrible. The humor is old school and very unfunny. Luckily Kramer is the reason the show succeeded. I usually turn on Seinfeld when I need to goto sleep, or I just play youtube videos of Jerry Seinfeld stand up comedy. Talk about boring and uncomfortable to watch. Luckily the guys filming hold up a "Laugh" sign after every joke he makes.

Seinfeld is god awful terrible. The humor is old school and very unfunny. Luckily Kramer is the reason the show succeeded. I usually turn on Seinfeld when I need to goto sleep, or I just play youtube videos of Jerry Seinfeld stand up comedy. Talk about boring and uncomfortable to watch. Luckily the guys filming hold up a "Laugh" sign after every joke he makes.

What comedies do you like?

or I just play youtube videos of Jerry Seinfeld stand up comedy. Talk about boring and uncomfortable to watch.

Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up comedy isn't that great... but his show was without a doubt brilliant. Larry David's writing and Kramer might've been the glue to that show. I also love Curb Your Enthusiasm (a more risque version of Seinfeld).

What comedies do you like?

Not Dane Cook......I can fall asleep putting him on as well. I like Ron White, Dave Chappelle is the man, Anthony Jeselnik is some interesting humor as well.....those are a few.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 10:33 PM ----------

Sorry I thought you meant comedians......

love seinfeld. really like the office.

my problem with chick fil a (besides the fact that i mispronounced it for years- chick-fil-uh) is that they dont do buffalo chicken. WTF? you only sell chicken, and you dont do buffalo chicken? please. almost as mindless as subway having a club sandwich on the menu that DOESNT HAVE BACON on it. bacon will be extra, thanks.

GTFOOH.

Not Dane Cook......I can fall asleep putting him on as well. I like Ron White, Dave Chappelle is the man, Anthony Jeselnik is some interesting humor as well.....those are a few.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 10:33 PM ----------

Sorry I thought you meant comedians......

Dane Cook indeed blows. Chappelle is indeed the man. I'm not a big fan of Seinfeld's comedy either, but Seinfeld is brilliant.

Archived