Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone explain Seinfeld to me

Capt. Kaos

Seinfeld is like any joke, if you have to explain it to someone then it won't be funny to them.

then of course you also have people who don't like it just for the sake of going against the herd.

that being said:

Co-stanz-a (by Mennen)

summer of George

Kenny Rogers Roasters

give me the rye you old bag

George pulling the Titleist ball out of the whale

"the sea was angry that day my friends," "like an old man returning soup at a deli."

Kramer putting a garbage disposal in his shower

Kramer turning his apartment into the Merv Griffin show, and when he put a screen door on his apt. door and set-it up like he had a porch

and much, much more

Sparked by all the love Seinfeld is getting in This Thread , can someone please explain the appeal to me.

I don't get it, I don't find anything about the show even remotely funny. I've tried watching episodes based on recommendations from fans, I've watched episodes based on best-of lists, and I've simply turned the show on and tried to get it. Nothing, not even a chuckle.

The plots, or lack of, are mind numbing, the characters are moronic (at best), the premise is dull and boring, and the entire concept is blah.

While your at it you can help me with:

The Office and Chick-fil-a

Completely agree with you. I've given Seinfeld more than a few fair shots, but TO ME the jokes are weak. I find the nasally whining by many of the characters aggravating. The Office held me for 2 or 3 seasons, but then it became a big "who cares?" for me. But I work for the real life Michael Scott, so it touches a nerve there too.

Chick-Fil-A. I love their fries.

Engaging in mindless banter in a chat and Vandelay industries comes up, the whole "importer / exporter" thing, and George's story conflicting with Elaine's story when Susan thought George was being unfaithful.

I will say that some of the moments fans fawn about are overrated. Soup Nazi is overrated, it isn't that funny. There's been better. Like Babu.

BUT NOBODY CAME

Boy, the situations that some of these people were placed in were simply hilarious. That's what the show was about. Hilarious, awkward situations like Jerry picking his nose and his girl being freaked out. IF WE PICK DO WE NOT BLEED

NOOOOOOOOOOO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

1- You can see very clearly the Abbott and Costello influence (Seinfeld's comedic heroes). The entire show is based on their comedy in that all of the situations are based on a misunderstanding.

2- The real secret to the show is that it was the first sitcom in American History where all of the characters were shallow, petty, pretty-much-disgusting human beings. It worked beautifully.

#2 is seinfeld perfectly explained. The characters on the show said everything that we wish we could in most situations that are frustrating and annoying.

Also, that kind of irreverent comedy paved the way for everything that came after it. Any funny show today has at least some roots in seinfeld. The most influential comedy ever.

I will say that some of the moments fans fawn about are overrated. Soup Nazi is overrated, it isn't that funny. There's been better. Like Babu.

BUT NOBODY CAME

Definitely agree. The Soup Nazi is a great episode, but theres SO much better out there. The Puerto Rican Day, The Contest, The Betrayal (Backwards Episode), The Serenity Now, Man Hands.

Also, the show has what may be the greatest rivalry of all time in George vs Lloyd Braun.

---------- Post added June-5th-2011 at 06:55 PM ----------

Another great thing about Seinfeld is that most shows get weaker as time goes on, but the 9th (final) season of Seinfeld was arguably the best.

Season 9 episodes

"The Butter Shave" (Put a fork in me Jerry, I'm done!)

"The Voice" (HELLOOOOOOOOO)

"The Serenity Now" (You stop short with me?)

"The Blood"

"The Junk Mail"

"The Merv Griffin Show"

"The Slicer"

"The Betrayal"

"The Apology"

"The Strike" (Festivus!)

"The Dealership"

"The Reverse Peephole"

"The Cartoon"

"The Strong Box"

"The Wizard"

"The Burning"

"The Bookstore"

"The Frogger"

"The Maid"

"The Puerto Rican Day"

"The Chronicle, Part 1"

"The Chronicle, Part 2"

"The Finale, Part 1"

"The Finale, Part 2"

I thought the Puerto Rican Parade one was "banned" from TV after it was shown. Never got around to watching that one. People were "offended" and I don't even know if it's on syndication anymore.

George vs Lloyd Braun is nothing, all about Mr Costanza vs Mr Seinfeld

Are you telling me there's not one condo in Del Boca Vista?

If you didn't even chuckle at all, there's only one solution.

Go to the store

Buy all Seinfeld DVDs

Watch until you laugh

Good luck

PS: Finale got a lot of **** from critics because of the whole "trial" thing, it was alright. Got to love the standup at the end. Kramer is the only one laughing :ols:

I dunno, but for me Season 9 is filled with so many memorable episodes. There really isn't a weak season at all, but you are right in saying that 4-7 was prime Seinfeld.

What I love is even before the chemistry got going, you still can watch it for the realistic situations it protrays. The pilot is great. We've all been in a situation where a chick is coming to meet you but you don't know if it's friendly or if she wants to knock boots.

Not even a chuckle.
If you didn't even chuckle at all, there's only one solution.

Go to the store

Buy all Seinfeld DVDs

Watch until you laugh

Good luck

PS: Finale got a lot of **** from critics because of the whole "trial" thing, it was alright. Got to love the standup at the end. Kramer is the only one laughing :ols:

He can't help it.

40005_1a.jpg

I am not a big Sienfeld fan either. It has moments but I think the soup nazi thing is completely overrated.

Never watched it when it was on every week. And caught a few episodes here and there with some funny moments. But the soup one was not really that funny.

(Disclaimer- I read about 4 pages of the thread then skipped to the end.)

I think I understand why the OP doesn't like Seinfeld or The Office.

Both find their humor almost entirely predicated upon uncomfortable situations and conflict. Ben Stiller's movies are very much the same.

Put someone in an awkward, uncomfortable situation, watch them squirm. To some people the reactions and situations are funny, to others they aren't. I'm halfway in on Seinfeld and The Office largely for these reasons, so I can understand how someone might be totally turned off by it.

Chick Fil-A on the other hand, there's no earthly reason to dislike that place.

Archived