Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm getting bad vibes about Jarvis Jenkins... (Twitter related)

street_lyte

I totally expected responses like this, and I don't blame you or anyone at all for thinking that.

The only thing I'm saying is that he is giving ME bad vibes, and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same. I don't think it's that ridiculous of a thing to feel/ask.

You already posted my response in your first post.
Granted, this is based entirely on just the use of his twitter account, hardly an indicator of anything substantial, and it IS during a lockout. I don't know him personally, and I don't know much about his college career other than what most of us have seen/read about him

Nothing to do with the man's tweets, but I have a friend who's a diehard Skins fan, who happened to start as an O Lineman for an ACC school. He was beyond pissed when we drafted Jenkins. Said he's soft, slow and downright bad.

Hope he's wrong, but it made me worry.

I don't think a "soft, downright bad" player earns All-ACC honors as a defensive lineman, nor blocks 4 kicks, not ties 2nd on the team for TFLs, nor goes in the 2nd round. Is there a possibility your friend is bitter and/or went to a rival school?

I don't think a "soft, downright bad" player earns All-ACC honors as a defensive lineman, nor blocks 4 kicks, not ties 2nd on the team for TFLs, nor goes in the 2nd round. Is there a possibility your friend is bitter and/or went to a rival school?

Thanks. You said what I was thinking, just couldn't put into words.

This is what the lockout has done to the fan base, creating attitudes about rookies we have never followed before just based off of tweets. If he plays well and is a team player and becomes a "core Redskin" and still tweets this stuff, would the assertion still stand? Would he not be a "core" player if his attitude is perceived through his tweets? How much does this **** really matter....? Is a college playing resume not enough to create a mental profile on a guy or do his tweets on a SOCIAL networking site need to be brought into play?

I use my Facebook for social use only. Many people however use Facebook as a networking and serious tool. Does that make me a social butterfly who doesn't care about what other people are using Facebook for? I know I'm not a professional athlete, but neither is Jarvis yet.

I understand somewhat about the bad vibes especially when compared to other rookies who are being active with a team, but I think it is inaccurate and unfair to label someone (if that is what is happening here) just based on a social networking website that he uses to communicate socially.

If we weren't in a lockout, this thread would've been closed by page 2. How it got to 14 is beyond me lol

Just my opinion - a lot of players talk that way. A lot. Fletcher and Cooley a few other guys actually understand grammar, but most players in the league can't spell or speak. That's just how it is. It's the world we live in. Guys can get by in the public school system without needing to learn to speak proper English. That has nothing to do with his attitude toward the game of football, work ethic, heart, etc.

Of course it matters what a pro athlete tweets as they represent the team, the city, the fans, their family and themselves. They are free to say whatever they'd like but those freedoms go both ways and in the social networking era it gives fans, media, and the team a direct window into a player.

I Like JJ and I have high expectations for him and compare him favorably to Trevor Pryce and if we didn't select him he would have only lasted a few more picks. He seems to have a good sense of humor, be a good dude, and more importantly a Redskin. Him living up to the Pryce comparison is up to him.

If I was his agent. I would have him working out and also toning down his tweets especially if he'd like some local endorsements, media interviews, or even major endorsements in the years to come. Getting loose on twitter while doesn't necessarily raise a red flag, it's just not the right way to market yourself..

Anybody that follows me knows that I get way more loose than him, but in an articulate, disgusting, sometimes profane, and always in a joking manner. That’s why I’m @Diesel__44 and don’t go by my real name. Hail :logo:

This is what the lockout has done to the fan base, creating attitudes about rookies we have never followed before just based off of tweets. If he plays well and is a team player and becomes a "core Redskin" and still tweets this stuff, would the assertion still stand? Would he not be a "core" player if his attitude is perceived through his tweets? How much does this **** really matter....? Is a college playing resume not enough to create a mental profile on a guy or do his tweets on a SOCIAL networking site need to be brought into play?

I use my Facebook for social use only. Many people however use Facebook as a networking and serious tool. Does that make me a social butterfly who doesn't care about what other people are using Facebook for? I know I'm not a professional athlete, but neither is Jarvis yet.

I understand somewhat about the bad vibes especially when compared to other rookies who are being active with a team, but I think it is inaccurate and unfair to label someone (if that is what is happening here) just based on a social networking website that he uses to communicate socially.

I don't think anyone is labeling JJ at this point-- Many of us are just pointing out that he's showing a lack of judgement by presenting himself in a certain way for the entire world to see.

The bottom line is that AS REDSKINS FANS we have been continually burned by high profile draft picks/free agents with ****ty attitudes/work ethics-- so it's only natural to try to find out more about a big investment.

To answer your question, I don't believe a college resume is enough to make a mental profile on a guy because many things happen behind closed doors AND you never know how money will change a person.

JJ seems like a good guy though and hopefully this will serve as a learning experience for him and other young players.

Twitter and facebook were originally for connecting with friends. Not posting your every movement or every thought. It has, unfortunately, devolved into that.

Speaking (later) of arguing about semantics: Define "connecting" for me. Does that not include letting people know what you're doing? Tweeting is known as "microblogging", and giving short bursts of what is going on is exactly what it was used for.

But I'm not. So while you say you're not arguing semantics, you're flat wrong.

The fact that we're having a discussion over his character based on twitter and a picture inherently shows that you are judging him. Unless you and I have different definitions of "judgement", that's exactly what you're doing.

I didn't read the tweet until it was posted here. It's why I don't follow our players. And you act like he should get a free pass for acting the way he does, so while you never said it, it's what you're implying.

Again, don't read it if you don't want to. It's not a cop out in the least. He's not making these posts to please you, so if you don't want to hear/read about them, then don't seek them out. These things have to be actively sought after; it's not like it's on every TV/radio station or website.

Except that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he's no longer a kid, he's a professional football player. He needs to start acting like one. But it will take time to transition and that should be held in mind by people who are ready to dismiss him already. He's got a lot of learning to do. That doesn't mean he can't do it.

He is still a kid. Were you the pinnacle of professional perfection at 22? No, you weren't. People make mistakes and people grow up at different rates. People are also different people. You also want him to act like a professional football player, but you set no criteria for what that entails. You make it seem like if he doesn't act within certain parameters, then he's doing something wrong. The guy isn't out killing people or advocating for dog fighting; he's being a typical 22-year-old, rough edges and all.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion as I really think that this is a complete non-issue and that neither side will change its perspective.

I hope that we can soon return to bickering about why Shanahan should have gone for it on fourth and two, why McNabb would have/have not made that throw, and, hopefully, why us going 19-0 really isn't THAT big of a deal. :cheers:

Jarvis and dequan Bowers have the same agent. He's working out and will be in shape and present at redskins park when neccessary.

I hope he uses this twitter thread as a motivational tool and losses weight while adding some pass rushing skills. I can't help but root for the guy now, I love the underdawg.

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 08:07 AM ----------

Nothing to do with the man's tweets, but I have a friend who's a diehard Skins fan, who happened to start as an O Lineman for an ACC school. He was beyond pissed when we drafted Jenkins. Said he's soft, slow and downright bad.

Hope he's wrong, but it made me worry.

Let me guess, he went undrafted or is still in school and envious?

Speaking (later) of arguing about semantics: Define "connecting" for me. Does that not include letting people know what you're doing? Tweeting is known as "microblogging", and giving short bursts of what is going on is exactly what it was used for.

I don't need to know about ****ing me, feeding me, etc. And our athletes don't need to share it. In fact, no one does. And if they choose to, they need to realize they will be held accountable for doing so.

The fact that we're having a discussion over his character based on twitter and a picture inherently shows that you are judging him. Unless you and I have different definitions of "judgement", that's exactly what you're doing.

If you say so. You are, again, wrong.

Again, don't read it if you don't want to. It's not a cop out in the least. He's not making these posts to please you, so if you don't want to hear/read about them, then don't seek them out. These things have to be actively sought after; it's not like it's on every TV/radio station or website.

I asked for the thread to be created huh? Backwards logic. I didn't seek anything out. Keep trying to find an angle. You won't find one.

He is still a kid.

Actually, he's not. When he turned 18 he became an adult.

Were you the pinnacle of professional perfection at 22? No, you weren't.

Glad to know you knew me when I was 22 :ols: Talk about making judgements. Hypocritical, don't you think?

You also want himto act like a professional football player, but you set no criteria for what that entails.

Well, I would say acting like a professional is a start.

You make it seem like if he doesn't act within certain parameters, then he's doing something wrong.

You make it seem like he's fine to act like a child. And that it's okay. See, I can twist logic too.

The guy isn't out killing people or advocating for dog fighting; he's being a typical 22-year-old, rough edges and all.

And I never said he can't grow. In fact, I said the opposite. You're arguing about something that isn't there. All I said is that he needs to learn what's acceptable and what's not when you're a representitive, and that he has time to do that. You're twisting it around to make it seem like I'm saying he's a terrible human being. I'm not. I never said that and never will. I'm not casting judgement. I'm saying he should be careful about what he says.

When he says things in a public forum, he will be scrutinized. Especially when you're in the spotlight. Is it fair? No. But neither is the fact he's going to make millions for playing a game.

This is also my last post in this thread. If anyone wishes to continue, feel free to PM me.

Great thread. Thank you to the OP.

That picture wasn't pleasant. Hopefully he grows up quickly.

I see what you did there.

If we weren't in a lockout, this thread would've been closed by page 2. How it got to 14 is beyond me lol

Because in a lockout, with no real football news to talk about, wewanderblindly.

:) Hail.

I think the thread title should read Twitter Specific, not twitter related.

I say some random ill thought out things. I think everyone does, at some point. But the internet is our stage now, which is obstensibly the world. I am not sure that is a good thing. I personally dont care what every single person in the world has to say but can see why some do. Just listen to what they have to say, and let them be themselves. If you dont like what they say, dont listen. In life on the boards, you ignore them.

But just dont complain. Or feel compelled to tell us how you feel about it. It may give others bad vibes. And then make it back to the original source, and give them bad vibes about the fans.

The OP is giving JJ bad vibes. Ironic, isn't it?

I bet "watch what you tweet" is a big part of the rookie symposium that did not take place due to the lockout.

Thanks again greedy NFL owners.

I thought this exact same thing when I first read the OP too...thankfully the NFLPA is going to put something similar on. Here is the link to the ESPN article. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6612010

Ummm... where do I startindifferent0001.gif

1. You cant say things like "Homeboy" mentality and expet not to catch flack bro. Im not an easily offended black guy, but 80% are and well........ the labels will start to roll

2. I know about 10 NFL players personally, and they all act in a similar fashion. Most of these kids come from the inner city neighborhoods where selling dope is the only way to make money (far be it for anyone to actually get a job confused0020.gif)

3. These guys go to the worst schools, have the worst family backing and never see promise of a noteworthy future unless they put on a set of pads

4. These are men that were never shapen by their environment to be productive members of society...in fact... they have been bred to be quite the opposite..ask me how I know:ols:. Add in the the superstar mentality from being a college stud, add a few million dollars...sprinkle some fanfare and fame & what do you have!

Maybe this one will make you feel better about things.

http://twitter.com/#!/HankTime85

HankTime85 Leonard Hankerson

Man I feel so good rite now, jus bought 2 homeless people some food at Denny's it was only rite... It almost brought tears 2 my eyes lol

55 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

If Hank turns out to be half the player as he is a person he will be one of the biggest steals in NFL history. Leanord Hankerson is a flatout role model. I don't want to sound like im on his nuts but hes the type of guy that you pray your son ends up like or that your daughter ends up with. If Beck somehow turns out to be a legit QB, we will have JC on our side if you put Beck with Hank and Helu. The heavens will align.

Frankly, Jenkins' tweets don't worry me as much as his physical conditioning.

That said, to the extent that someone's tweets might reveal anything about a person's character, I'm not reassured Jenkins is the kind of self-driven starter who can bring up his physical conditioning (especially during the lockout) to be a major factor in the NFL. Now, he might buff up enough to command a typical 2nd rounder's contract -- but after that it's anyone's guess how dedicated Jenkins is going to be --- to take it to that next level.

From what I saw of Jenkins' college video clips, many showed me how Jenkins seemed to have trouble gettting off the line, from using his strength to disengage his blocker(s), and/or push up the middle. Add in Jenkins' very low number of reps at the combine, and some of the pre-draft innuendos about how Jenkins had to take a lot of 'breathers' while playing in the ACC -- these all point to someone whose conditioning doesn't appear that good.

Apparently (at least to the Skins scouts) Jenkins showed enough as the Pro scene started to beckon -- so maybe he might be the type who shows his best just when there's money on the line. But after the contact, will Jenkins have the dedication to overcome his apprenticeship through the tough times awaiting him in the NFC East?

Right now I have trouble seeing Jenkins being very effective against the O-line of the Giants or Philly. And there's no history that resassures me that Jenkins, after getting his money contract, will use that adversity to motivate himself for getting into peak condition, especially strength-wise.

Bottom Line: I hope Jenkins matures to all that Shanahan & Co think he could become and that he starts getting it "right" -- in the weight room, on the field, and on his smart-phone.

Archived