Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm getting bad vibes about Jarvis Jenkins... (Twitter related)

street_lyte

Frankly, Jenkins' tweets don't worry me as much as his physical conditioning. Right now I have trouble seeing Jenkins being very effective against the O-line of the Giants or Philly. And there's no history that resassures me that Jenkins, after getting his money contract, will use that adversity to motivate himself for getting into peak condition, especially strength-wise.

Bottom Line: I hope Jenkins matures to all that Shanahan & Co think he could become and that he starts getting it "right" -- in the weight room, on the field, and on his smart-phone.

I agree and tried to convey as much in my posts. I love rooting for the underdawg, I hope he takes advantage of this oppourtunity and I hope he uses this twitter thread as a means to grow and to get motivated. He could choose to go either way, it is his choice. He needs to get in better shape for the NFL, this is not college and he needs to up his game. Bullrushing a weaker opponent is not going to work in a league where weaknesses are not as glaring and he will be facing much stronger competition. The lockout in this case has not benefitted him IMO. The twitter thread being just one example and as you pointed out he is not working with the team where he would be pushed to get into NFL shape.

I agree and tried to convey as much in my posts. I love rooting for the underdawg, I hope he takes advantage of this oppourtunity and I hope he uses this twitter thread as a means to grow and to get motivated. He could choose to go either way, it is his choice. He needs to get in better shape for the NFL, this is not college and he needs to up his game. Bullrushing a weaker opponent is not going to work in a league where weaknesses are not as glaring and he will be facing much stronger competition. The lockout in this case has not benefitted him IMO. The twitter thread being just one example and as you pointed out he is not working with the team where he would be pushed to get into NFL shape.

Agreed. He seems like a guy who will need the great influences of players like Rak and Fletch. I hate that he's at home instead of being around them and seeing what it takes to make it in the NFL.

Frankly, Jenkins' tweets don't worry me as much as his physical conditioning.

That said, to the extent that someone's tweets might reveal anything about a person's character, I'm not reassured Jenkins is the kind of self-driven starter who can bring up his physical conditioning (especially during the lockout) to be a major factor in the NFL. Now, he might buff up enough to command a typical 2nd rounder's contract -- but after that it's anyone's guess how dedicated Jenkins is going to be --- to take it to that next level.

From what I saw of Jenkins' college video clips, many showed me how Jenkins seemed to have trouble gettting off the line, from using his strength to disengage his blocker(s), and/or push up the middle. Add in Jenkins' very low number of reps at the combine, and some of the pre-draft innuendos about how Jenkins had to take a lot of 'breathers' while playing in the ACC -- these all point to someone whose conditioning doesn't appear that good.

Apparently (at least to the Skins scouts) Jenkins showed enough as the Pro scene started to beckon -- so maybe he might be the type who shows his best just when there's money on the line. But after the contact, will Jenkins have the dedication to overcome his apprenticeship through the tough times awaiting him in the NFC East?

Right now I have trouble seeing Jenkins being very effective against the O-line of the Giants or Philly. And there's no history that resassures me that Jenkins, after getting his money contract, will use that adversity to motivate himself for getting into peak condition, especially strength-wise.

Bottom Line: I hope Jenkins matures to all that Shanahan & Co think he could become and that he starts getting it "right" -- in the weight room, on the field, and on his smart-phone.

With a coach like Shanny on your *** everyday, who wouldn't?!

Good lord, everyone is blowing this way out of proportion, both the ones that agree with the OP and the ones that don't. The kid has stayed out of trouble and worked hard to make it to the pro level. At the end of the day, isn't that all that matters? Even if he was the biggest ******* on the planet, didn't sign autographs, talk to fans/kids, etc. but went out every Sunday and stuffed the run, took on double teams and sacked the QB, that's all the Redskins drafted him for (not saying he is that type of person, doesn't appear that way to me at all).

I love technology, I love the internet, I love my online games, I love access to news almost instantly after it breaks, but it's a ****ing curse sometimes because of all the instant access you have and all the different stories, news feeds, etc. make it so easy to blow things out of proportion. Jesus, if we had drafted him back in 1982 or 1983 before the internet was public, when most people didn't have cable with access to ESPN, you all would have thought he was a saint.

Also, I don't know about some of y'all, but I say things and act a little different when Im hanging with my friends or out with them than I would at work or in a setting that requires good behaivor. And now days, kids/young adults talk in slang a lot more than they did when I was growing up regardless of race or where they are raised. I know rich white girls/women that if you read their tweets or posts, you would think they are ghetto fabulous......

Get over it dude, this post SUCKS. i am offended about your terms, "homeboy" and "ghetto" give me a break dude...your problems with this guy is that he acts black?!

You can't just say "please don't call me a racist." and hope that nobody raises an eyebrow about your bias, everybody (or most people) are a little

prejudiced in some way, just own up to it...or get over it...jeez dude...No offense, but i got my thread privlages taken away for saying that

Cooley didn't seem excited about beach blitz, this deserves the same thing....

Off with your threads.....

:ols::ols::ols::ols: Boy Redskins fans love to dream.... WILL NOT HAPPEN...HE IS AWFUL!!!!

How is he awful exactly? Because of all the games he played in Miami and Baltimore? Or because you say so?

I don't know what the guy brings to the table, but I do know that Mike Shannahan forgot more about NFL QB's then you and I will ever know.

Some quotes from Beck....

Beck has been doing everything he can to prepare, working to contact teammates, recent draft picks and free agents to work out. He knows he doesn’t have a lot of cache, even less than Rex Grossman, who finished last season at quarterback for the Redskins and is a free agent.

“I don’t ask any fans to believe in me right now,” Beck said. “How could I? If you try to see what I’ve done in my career, I’ve stood on the sidelines and watched people and I went out as a rookie and played like a rookie. That’s it.

“So, for me, just give me an opportunity in the games. When I get an opportunity to be in this offense for a year, now that I have an opportunity to study the offense, I just want the opportunity to play.”

And he has no qualms taking a leadership role when he was the No. 3 a season ago.

“I basically say, 'Screw the awkwardness,'” he said. I’m trying to be the starting quarterback. I’ll call whoever, try to set whatever up. If you don’t think you’re a starter and act like a starter, your teammates aren’t going to think you’re a starter.”I like the way this guy carries himself win or lose. Assured but not ****y.

Archived