Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm getting bad vibes about Jarvis Jenkins... (Twitter related)

street_lyte

Let me start off by saying I follow literally every single player on our team on twitter, many other players that I like/respect in the NFL, pretty much every DC sports news source, and anything NFL related (as well as some bands, actors, etc.)

I use twitter like most people do, to follow others, I don't tweet, I just use it to get constant updates from people/sources that I'm interested in.

That all being said, I am getting a bad-vibe about Jarvis Jenkins based on his tweets, I've followed him since the second we drafted him.

It's hard to put into words, but if you use twitter, and follow certain people for a while, it can give you a pretty good idea about what kind of person they are, or what they're all about. For example, London Fletcher and Reed Doughty are always tweeting about, well, basically "good stuff." We all know what high-character guys they are.

Jarvis has this "home-boy" kind of attitude, (please don't instantly label me a racist, for the love of God). I'm not calling him a thug or anything, but he just has this "ghetto" kinda attitude, he re-tweets tons of stuff from random other friends or twitter users with the same kind of attitude, (again, you have to see a long sample of it to get where I'm coming from). I've seen him tweet about the Skins very little, and far more tweets about naps and "chillin" than workouts and practice. It kinda rubs me the wrong way, and makes me question his commitment to the team and his overall work ethic.

Granted, this is based entirely on just the use of his twitter account, hardly an indicator of anything substantial, and it IS during a lockout. I don't know him personally, and I don't know much about his college career other than what most of us have seen/read about him.

I know that most would consider this a pretty weak case for predicting a draft bust, (and rightly so), I'm just throwing this out there, and I'm wondering if anyone who follows him on twitter has gotten a similar vibe?

EDIT - Here's his page http://twitter.com/#!/Jarvis99jenkins

You may be right, but it could also be just a bored very young man whose left to twiddling his thumbs because of the lockout. He may just be surfing and killing time. I do wish he would have made it to the unofficial mini camp though.

could you post a few examples that have raised your concern.

Jarvis Jenkins - the Washington Redskins 2nd rd. pick #41 is staying at home this week, on the advice of his agent, Joe Flanagan. No injury or not a case of him not wanting to be here....

Just one of those lockout things. Thats life. Non Story. Move On.

You may be right, but it could also be just a bored very young man whose left to twiddling his thumbs because of the lockout. He may just be surfing and killing time. I do wish he would have made it to the unofficial mini camp though.

could you post a few examples that have raised your concern.

You absolutely could be right about him just being a bored young man, hell he's the same age as me and I know he uses that account to mack on girls a lot, (we all would)

Here's a link to his twitter page, gotta love that background :rolleyes:

http://twitter.com/#!/Jarvis99jenkins

He has over 6000 tweets, which is a lot, no matter who you are.

If you skim through his page it's just littered with chatter with a bunch of random people about random things. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, I just can't help but question him a little bit on that.

I of course hope I'm wrong, but every day the feeling of him being not an "all-in" kinda guy gets bigger, for me at least.

I didnt want to bring this up, but i agree completely.. I went through his timeline to find examples, but stopped due to all the nonsense on there.. One thing i noticed, most athletes have their pics be of them on the field, or something with their families if not. This guys got some d-boy pose.. (3-2-1 till the racist card starts getting thrown around).

Now we have fans concerned over tweets. This lockout has to end. The fans are now going bonkers.

I totally expected responses like this, and I don't blame you or anyone at all for thinking that.

The only thing I'm saying is that he is giving ME bad vibes, and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same. I don't think it's that ridiculous of a thing to feel/ask.

Jarvis Jenkins - the Washington Redskins 2nd rd. pick #41 is staying at home this week' date=' on the advice of his agent, Joe Flanagan. No injury or not a case of him not wanting to be here....

Just one of those lockout things. Thats life. Non Story. Move On.[/quote']

When I think of players that are about doing what their agent tells them to do first and foremost, that I presume is about money/contracts and if so its good that he's looking out for himself financially but 10 other rookies with no signed contract showed up to camp and talked about how eager they were to be with the team and run plays. It's a non story IMO in that he's not required to be there. But I wouldn't say it with absolute certainty that it gives us no window into the player's mindset. It might be meaningless but if we see other things down the pike, revisiting him as a no show to camp might be something we come back too.

He sounds like a Harvard alum...

-Next time u think I give a ****, Remember the 3 F's.. If u ain't (F)eeding me, :censored:, Or (F)inancing me... I dont give a ****!

-her money ur money lol u be gettn hella cash frm her lol that's how u always fresh

-it's tru!! Ur hats made out out playdough lol wide head a**

-lmao he done messed up!?! He the best rite now but he not Jordan ...YET yea I said it retweet me lol...but I still hate him lol

-what u thnk? Lmao i got some waitin on u my nigg!

-lol watchout I got em early so ima wear em early lol the whole purpose of gettn em early

-I Been gave dem bois props rod had too lol

-he soft like his pops bit dey both can get it...better yet all three!

-U the last person that should b talkn

-oh yeh me too.... im taking two...but they had a mini camp there these past 3 days i didnt go tho im doin class

#H.O.P. there. :)

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

Type in your word and let the filters do their job of substituting asterisks for letters. Then check your post to see if all profanity was filtered. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "*&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

Members quoting profanity filter violations (or other rule violations) without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly.

It's bad enough you posted with a Rule violation, but then you edited your post 2 minutes later & STILL didn't fix your profanity violation. Enjoy your Summer Vacation. :doh:

^That said I think that JJ was a slight reach at 41 but other teams such as the steelers were looking at him as well. He cetainly may fill the NT spot and will clog the running lanes in the middle. HE may simply need to get into shape and add some technique to be a very productive player. Pass rushing is listed as his weakness but stuffing the run is his strength. He could be a Haynesworth fix down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpO_Cfbwqqk&feature=player_embedded

---------- Post added May-30th-2011 at 04:37 PM ----------

certainly sounds like a decent guy.

When I think of players that are about doing what their agent tells them to do first and foremost, that I presume is about money/contracts and if so its good that he's looking out for himself financially but 10 other rookies with no signed contract showed up to camp and talked about how eager they were to be with the team and run plays. It's a non story IMO in that he's not required to be there. But I wouldn't say it with absolute certainty that it gives us no window into the player's mindset. It might be meaningless but if we see other things down the pike, revisiting him as a no show to camp might be something we come back too.

Time will tell I suppose, but I liked this read about Jenkins. For what its worth, Trent Williams has a 6yr $60m contract in his arse pocket and he isn't here either.

http://blog.redskins.com/2011/05/17/jarvis-jenkins-has-an-on-and-off-switch/

The Redskins' selection of DE Jarvis Jenkins in the second round came as something of a surprise -- and, at least on this blog, it also got somewhat lost in the shuffle of the trades and other draft day drama. Intern Brian wasn't going to sit still for that, so here's his look at Jenkins' post-draft radio appearance on ESPN980.

At 6-4, 310 pounds, Jarvis Jenkins is a mountain of a man, with the mentality and mean streak that's necessary at the defensive end position.

"I'm a run-stopper, I'm physical at the point of attack," he said at his Draft day conference call with the D.C. media. "I can play double teams, I can beat double teams, I've been seeing them all through Clemson."

But that's just when his switch is set to 'on.' Apparently Jenkins comes with an off-switch too.

In an interview with Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro on ESPN 980, Jenkins explained his split-personality.

"I have a good personality, man, I'm a people-person, I get along with everybody," he said. "I'm a high-temper guy when I get on the field."

"I know I can turn it on and turn it off, on and off the field."

"Y'know, I control it, but once it's time to put those pads on, I'm another person, and I know people are gonna see that," Jenkins said.

In a draft that featured plenty of "sexy" picks for the Redskins at skill offensive positions, Jenkins has been the forgotten man so far. However, he has an opportunity to seize a starting job out of training camp, and could prove to be one of the top picks for the team.

"No character issues," Jenkins said of himself. "I was raised well by my mother and father, I was in a very strict household."

And he's confident, too: "[The Redskins] got a good value in their pick."

Another reason I hate Twitter. People put too much info, and the rest of the world instantly makes judgements about who the person is. He may be a thug. He may be a great guy. Time will tell. But why waste your time trying to read into everything he puts on the internet.

Whether or not the guy can play NT in the NFL has little to do with his tweet skills, but I do believe that twitter and FB posts can absolutely give a glimpse into someone's character. And in all honesty Jenkins sounds like an absolute idiot via his own words.

He sounds like a Harvard alum...

-Next time u think I give a ****' date=' Remember the 3 F's.. If u ain't (F)eeding me, ********* me, Or (F)inancing me... I dont give a ****!

-her money ur money lol u be gettn hella cash frm her lol that's how u always fresh

-it's tru!! Ur hats made out out playdough lol wide head a**

-lmao he done messed up!?! He the best rite now but he not Jordan ...YET yea I said it retweet me lol...but I still hate him lol

-what u thnk? Lmao i got some waitin on u my nigg!

-lol watchout I got em early so ima wear em early lol the whole purpose of gettn em early

-I Been gave dem bois props rod had too lol

-he soft like his pops bit dey both can get it...better yet all three!

-U the last person that should b talkn

-oh yeh me too.... im taking two...but they had a mini camp there these past 3 days i didnt go tho im doin class

You might want to edit your post before the mods do it. Just a friendly heads up.

This is pretty awful stuff. He had better watch himself.

Whether or not the guy can play NT in the NFL has little to do with his tweet skills, but I do believe that twitter and FB posts can absolutely give a glimpse into someone's character. And in all honesty Jenkins sounds like an absolute idiot via his own words.

His own written twitter words, did you watch any of the youtube vids of him? He is well spoken and apparently still attending classes, I assume that he is going to work toward a degree. I will withhold judgement as I do with all draft picks, but don't jump to conclusions because of some tweets. And he is all of what 22?

Archived