Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm getting bad vibes about Jarvis Jenkins... (Twitter related)

street_lyte

I have read every post in this thread. This topic makes the board as a whole look like people are just looking for something wrong tocomplain about a player. Alot of "visitors" have dropped in to check it out and its not a good look for skins fans.

I understand all that, but at the same time maybe Jenkins could learn something from this. Did he and other rookies attend a symposium this year? I am sure they cover social media in that class. So is this another effect of the lockout? Anyway I wish the guy well and see nothing in his history on or off the field that makes me "concerned" he is a thug or is headed for trouble.

---------- Post added May-31st-2011 at 01:35 PM ----------

Some people like myself only use twitter on their smart phones. It's really rare for me to use a computer and tweet something so I always have a typo or two, plus use shortcuts on some of my tweets. If I have a typo, it doesn't mean that I am stupid and can't spell, it just means that I suck at typing on my phone. This morning I spelled The Eagles album Desperado wrong because of my stupid phone. Which came out 38 years ago by the way. I wore the grooves out of that album and feel extremely old now.

Take it easy, don't let the sound of your pwn wheels drive you crazy. Lighten up while you still can.

I understand the basis for the argument and some have debated and presented there arguments in a good way. To mercuryrising, what the hell are you talking about with spags? Really just wow.

To me its a non issue because if you guys knew 1/4 about some of your favorite players off the field and away from the cameras your opinion would

Be drastically different. Everyone has a past and grows as a person as they grow older or situations help them mature ie Sean taylor. Out of college and into a NFL fraternity isn't exactly the "real" world for the everyday person and it takes time to adjust for some. I think part of maturing is making mistakes and learning from them but certainly nobody is perfect. Jarvis is a good kid and just because he converses with his friends in a way some might not agree with doesn't change that.

This is truly spot on LL. I really admired the fact that ST had become a man. And in fairness to Jenkins at 22, he should be able to act like a 22 year old. However the sooner he learns exactly where he is currently, the better off he will be. He has moved from a telescopic view to a microscopic one. This thread for example. I am 49 now and I know once in a blue moon I stay up too late and text people I have not seen in awhile about old times, and then I read in the next day. It certainly does not read well.

---------- Post added May-31st-2011 at 01:43 PM ----------

SWFL don't know if that was an intentional misspelling. But it was classic regardless. :)

And Destructis - I'm in my early 30's and still wearing it out. Classic album.

Actually it was purposely on accident. look at the keyboard? I mistyped, then I saw it and left it alone. Some things are meant to be. <;-}

twitter will be the end of the world.....I wish it would go away forever....the fact that he skipped workouts pisses me off and IMO tells more about him that his tweets.

While I can't say I totally disagree with you, I think we all tend to over dramatize some of these guys missing...wait until the CBA gets signed & then let's see what happens. Most of them that missed all did on account of their agents advice.

While I can't say I totally disagree with you, I think we all tend to over dramatize some of these guys missing...wait until the CBA gets signed & then let's see what happens. Most of them that missed all did on account of their agents advice.

true, good point...agents probably don;t help and I guess it is easy for me to say sitting behind my computer with no chance of getting hurt.

-Next time u think I give a ****, Remember the 3 F's.. If u ain't (F)eeding me, , Or (F)inancing me... I dont give a ****!

Not quite the same "creed" I live by but what this fellow needs to comprehend that by shooting his inner thoughts out into the electronic ethosphere he leaves himself open to scrutiny by the very folks he does give a **** about and any potential F'rs may look at his attitude and decide that he's too naive, stupid or shelfish to garner any support from them.

The fact that there is discussion on this forum demonstrates the lack of "privacy" when using any of the social networking gizmos. Simply use more secure methods and communicate with only those who are familiar enough to actually know where he's coming from.

I think its hilarious Jarvis punked out the OP. Attaboy JJ! cant wait to see you pitchforking Casey in practice.

Lets be real, people make fools of themselves here at ES (myself included). Just dont pretend it is any different than tweeting the same stuff. Dont feign shock and horror about what someone you dont know posted on the internet. At the end of the day, we know you really dont care.

You used the words "gangster talk" not the OP.

And I find it ironic you are making a personal judgement on someone you don't know while calling them out for making a personal judgement on someone they don't know.

I never said the OP used the words "gangster talk." I put those words in quotes to imply a sracaastic summation of the OP's impression of Jenkins language usage. The only way you could interpret that as a direct quote is if you are either terrible at reading comprehension or you're purposefully taking it out of context as an attack. Either way it's pathetic.

And please quote where I made a personal judgement on him, like, say, questioning his work ethic or calling him a name or stupid, etc. as others have done in here. I've actually been discussing the merits of the OP's argument that Jenkins tweets are a reflection of his work ethic, whereas you come in and ignore the merits of my argument and make stuff up just as an attack. Please quit your BS and actually talk about the topic at hand as I have been, or move on.

---------- Post added May-31st-2011 at 02:46 PM ----------

Here's a good interview with Jenkins that was linked on twitter

http://burgundyblog.com/post/5148222392/j3

it is an interview, so it could all be "just talk," but then again the same could be said of Jenkins' tweets.

twitter will be the end of the world.....I wish it would go away forever....the fact that he skipped workouts pisses me off and IMO tells more about him that his tweets.

His agent told him not to because he isn't under contract.

It just still blows my mind that people can supposedly have gone to college and still type and speak like that. I'm not sure if that says more about the person or the quality of education.

Eh, the same can be said for every one of us if we've ever used slang while speaking, which is very common when speaking with a group of friends, you're probably not using proper grammar and structure. Most of his tweets are using a good bit of internet slang, if he really talked using i-slang that's one thing. But we all use slang and it never makes you sound smart (that's why it's called "slang", it's an informal form of speaking), so I don't think it's that big a deal.

He doesn't sound like a moron here, just more like a young guy who's having a good time working hard at what he probably loves.

Also, a few people said that his picture makes him look like a "d-boy", "d-bag", etc. Really? First off what does a "d-boy" look like? He's wearing a tank top and a hat, probably playing with Photo Booth on his Macbook/iMac (the bg photo looks exactly like one of the effects in Photo Booth). Either way, I'm just wondering how anyone got d-boy or d-bag out of what looks like a simple photo that I'm sure most of us would find something similar in one of our random photo albums.

I assume it's because they don't want them risking injury before they are under contract. Not sure if there's any other reason, what do you think?

Jarvis and dequan Bowers have the same agent. He's working out and will be in shape and present at redskins park when neccessary.

dude, get a life, and you're a racist. lmao. ok, ok....serious about the first part, kidding about the second. I think it's a little of people feel threatened or take issues with things they themselves aren't or don't understand, culturally. Every guy that uses slang isn't instantly a yo boy, and lazy and smokes weed etc etc. ignorant generalizations. Sure there are plenty that support negative stereotypes, thus why they exist...Again, get a life dude and stop stalking people online and playing psychologist.

Shanahan and Allen liked him enough to take him 41st overall. There is nothing that indicates he isn't a high character person or a high motor player. This is nit-picking.

Are we judging Orakpo based on this tweet?

@KDthunderup Good ass run big dawg u gonna get urs soon bro keep ballin Hook em

Get real, people. Jenkins seems like a top notch person based on interviews--which I would take as a better indication of his character over tweets.

Let me start off by saying I follow literally every single player on our team on twitter, many other players that I like/respect in the NFL, pretty much every DC sports news source, and anything NFL related (as well as some bands, actors, etc.)

I use twitter like most people do, to follow others.....

Damn, I just got a bad vibe about U....'dawg'.

i mean to go out of your way to make a thread about a guys tweets alone shows how stupid this is.. its TWITTER.. you can't get a feel for how a person is in 140 characters nor do i think he tweets everything he does during the day.. i mean let the dude live a little i just get the feeling that some of you that questioned where he was drafted are trying to nitpick and bring up anything you can to bash the dude...

and as for the picture.. we had 2 notorious guys on our team that had 2 bad instances.. i hate to bring up ST in this but hes a prime example.. he spit in a guys face on the field.. yet he turned his life around.. and turned out to be a great person..

Laron is a bit testy and can get into some scrambles with words.. much like that brawl was about .. i've seen worse but im not going to pull that up from years ago (actually don't know the date that happened but if he passed shanny test he must be good on character since we have fat al)

things happen on the field guys and while im not commending what he did in the picture im certainly not going to sit here and act like he can't change nor has he changed.. and let a little thing like 140 characters tell who a person is without even meeting him.. and im certainly not going to sit here and make a thread about the guy B4 HE EVEN STEPS ON THE DAMN FIELD.. some of you need football this year not just for entertainment.. but for the sake of saving the rest of us from reading the bull**** that comes over these boards everyday this damn lockout lives on.

Shanahan and Allen liked him enough to take him 41st overall. There is nothing that indicates he isn't a high character person or a high motor player. This is nit-picking.

Are we judging Orakpo based on this tweet?

Get real, people. Jenkins seems like a top notch person based on interviews--which I would take as a better indication of his character over tweets.

That does it!! Orakpo is obviously a d-boy, with a ghetto attitude.

i mean to go out of your way to make a thread about a guys tweets alone shows how stupid this is.. its TWITTER.. you can't get a feel for how a person is in 140 characters nor do i think he tweets everything he does during the day.. i mean let the dude live a little i just get the feeling that some of you that questioned where he was drafted are trying to nitpick and bring up anything you can to bash the dude...

and as for the picture.. we had 2 notorious guys on our team that had 2 bad instances.. i hate to bring up ST in this but hes a prime example.. he spit in a guys face on the field.. yet he turned his life around.. and turned out to be a great person..

Laron is a bit testy and can get into some scrambles with words.. much like that brawl was about .. i've seen worse but im not going to pull that up from years ago (actually don't know the date that happened but if he passed shanny test he must be good on character since we have fat al)

things happen on the field guys and while im not commending what he did in the picture im certainly not going to sit here and act like he can't change nor has he changed.. and let a little thing like 140 characters tell who a person is without even meeting him.. and im certainly not going to sit here and make a thread about the guy B4 HE EVEN STEPS ON THE DAMN FIELD.. some of you need football this year not just for entertainment.. but for the sake of saving the rest of us from reading the bull**** that comes over these boards everyday this damn lockout lives on.

Your contradicting yourself. You say we shouldn't call Jenkins immature or thuggish because of his tweets, but then you downplay the picture by comparing him to two great players who also had some character concerns early in their careers. So its ok because weve been down that road before?

What is so wrong about discussing a players behavior? LMAO. Where is this sensitivity coming from?

Laron and ST had some good mentoring and got through their issues and guess what, thats when they became great players. Thats what put them over the edge. They became professionals. Not to say this will be the same with Jarvis because I don't think his work ethic can't be called into until he hits the field, but immaturity and work ethic often go hand and hand.

Nothing to do with the man's tweets, but I have a friend who's a diehard Skins fan, who happened to start as an O Lineman for an ACC school. He was beyond pissed when we drafted Jenkins. Said he's soft, slow and downright bad.

Hope he's wrong, but it made me worry.

Your contradicting yourself. You say we shouldn't call Jenkins immature or thuggish because of his tweets, but then you downplay the picture by comparing him to two great players who also had some character concerns early in their careers. So its ok because weve been down that road before?

What is so wrong about discussing a players behavior? LMAO. Where is this sensitivity coming from?

Laron and ST had some good mentoring and got through their issues and guess what, thats when they became great players. Thats what put them over the edge. They became professionals. Not to say this will be the same with Jarvis because I don't think his work ethic can't be called into until he hits the field, but immaturity and work ethic often go hand and hand.

I see what you're saying, but I don't see how anything he's posted on twitter, any of his Twitter pictures (which someone mentioned as making him look thuggish, d-boyish or d-baggish) have anything to do with the picture in question. If that picture were cause for the concern in the OP I think the response would be a bit different. It definitely doesn't paint him in the most positive light, granted it's still hard to really know what the context of the picture is, while I'm sure he didn't mean to suggest he was actually going to shoot the person it still shows poor judgement in that instance. But from everything I've read, heard, seen outside of that one image, it seems to indicate he's a generally good person who works hard. I think that's the reason people are finding this odd. It's like a witch hunt.

zrzMhU_4m-g

Archived