Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observation: Republican party intimidated by the worst President in U.S. history

Burgold

I keep reading people wishing they had a "like" button here. Obviously, it's a hardship for some Facebookies to simply make a post saying "great post---here's what I liked" in a reply. Kudos to you HH for taking that demanding step even if you still long for life to be better and easier. :pfft:

12 users liked this post

You do realize that few are going to "like" you advocating this. After all, if in the 1950's there was never an "I like Ike" button then Ike would have gotten really sour and depressed. We need affirmation that comes with a needle stuck to the back of it.

Isn't it enough that our views don't "count" Now you want to make it harder for people to "like" us? Geesh, what did we do to you. It's not like we're complaining, undisciplined, loud, repeat the same mistakes over and over again without any sign of learning or embarrassment. It's not like we aren't friendly, go lucky, go with the flow type of non-troublemakers.

Why wouldn't you want people to "like" us. Is it so hard to "like" us?

(I still don't have a FB account. I suppose I'll need one one day)

If I liked you, I'd answer your questions.

Why are the big time Republicans cowering in a corner and refusing to run? Could it be that Obama's been pretty good?

No Obama is awful - his debt spending make many wish for the "good old days" of Bush's debt spending. What it is - is that the R party use to claim to be the party of fiscal conservationism. Got proved otherwise before Obama came into office (which is why he did). Now they refuse to increase tax reveue and propose few cuts while we have deficits that will ruin the US as a world power. This does not make sense to many of us. But running on a ticket of both "I will raise your taxes and lower your benefits" doesn't get one elected in this country. - despite this is what needs to happen sooner rather then later.

I can prove he's probably the best President just short of Washington.

Universal Healthcare to save the lives of an additional 40 million citizens.

Extending the Aids prevention program for Africa saving millions of citizens.

Economic stimulus for several Middle Eastern countries saving 10's of thousands of lives and creating millions of jobs. Creating trading partners

Saved an entire city in Libya.

Took the worst recession in the History of the country and turned it around in a mere 2.5 years.

Helped create a Tarp Fund and Stimulus that might have saved millions of jobs.

Shovel ready job programs that saved the countries infrastructure.

Finished up the job in Iraq

Surged into Afghanistan to finish that job also.

Opening up Anwar and Offshore drilling

Killed Osama bin Laden and hunting down the rest.

Deported more illegals than previous to include Felon's.

Showed the world the Israeli's are equal to hamas Leadership of Palestine.

there are other more ordinary miracles he's done here and there also.

Burnt up all the old cars making everyones cars increase in worth.

Dagger. I really like Mitch Daniels head and shoulders above everyone else. Now the nomination gets interesting.

It will be Romney vs the anti-Romney candidate. who could be a tea party person. There's a an opening and I don't mean for Sarah Palin who has the fire in her belly. Right now whoever the nominee is, will be nothing more than fodder for Obama.

Republicans better start praying for the economy to get worse, because that's really there only shot.

Right now whoever the nominee is, will be nothing more than fodder for Obama.

I see it a bit different,with O having a uphill battle to justify keeping him in power...it ain't 08

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-usa-campaign-battlegrounds-idUSTRE74J63E20110520

Obama dramatically expanded the political playing field in 2008, competing and winning in states that had not backed a Democrat for president in a generation, but next year's map could look more like President George W. Bush's tight 2004 re-election win over Democrat John Kerry.

The sputtering economy and unhappiness with Obama's leadership have battered his popularity nationwide, hitting him particularly hard in conservative states like North Carolina, Indiana and Virginia where in 2008 he broke Democratic losing streaks dating to the 1960s.

High unemployment and a declining manufacturing industry also have helped drive down his poll numbers in traditional Rust Belt battlegrounds like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, which are crucial to his hopes of putting together the 270 electoral votes needed for re-election.

A DIFFERENT CAMPAIGN

"Last time Obama was able to get elected on inspiration -- he would change Washington, he's a new kind of leader, he was not George Bush," Republican strategist Jim Dyke said.

"There wasn't much of a record to judge him on and that will be different this time," he said. "He may still have that rhetorical flourish in his voice, but his hands are full of some very heavy policy positions he will have to explain."

I see it a bit different,with O having a uphill battle to justify keeping him in power...it ain't 08

I think you can see it however you want, but without a good candidate to run against President Obama the Republicans don't have a chance. With Mitch Daniels out, I currently don't see one.

Romney vs Bachmann would be pretty hilarious.

Yeah it would.

I'm a firm believer in giving people enough rope to hang themselves, and Michelle Bachmann on a presidential campaign would be one coil after another.

~Bang

I think you can see it however you want, but without a good candidate to run against President Obama the Republicans don't have a chance. With Mitch Daniels out, I currently don't see one.

That's the crux of the matter, right there.

As a swing voter, I'd have no problem giving Daniels the nod, if the economy doesn't nose up by Nov. '12.

Romney, though? Ehh, kinda lukewarm to that. Pawlenty? Nope, no socons need apply. And most of us independents are going to feel the same way.

There's some consolation in the fact that Mitch will only be 67 in '16, though.

I don't know,, I think one of the main reasons you see a rather thin field of GOP hopefuls is that there's not a lot of ammo they can use to unseat him right now.

They can run against health care and other policies, but I think if they allow themselves to dip into the cesspool of non-issues that seem to keep the base so enthralled it won't help defeat him.

AND, i think given the current mood of the party nd the base, it would be very difficult to NOT go there.

Romney's interesting to me because I think he's closest to center-right, and I think it's going to be very telling what happens with him and the party. He's already backed off of his own health care beliefs to satisfy the agenda. This is the sort of thing that turned me away from McCain. I felt he abandoned his own beliefs to be an empty suit for the neo-con party powers.

With luck, Romney not having to grin and bear Palin's tickling the fringes like McCain had to do will help him stay closer to the middle.. if she runs, (and even if she doesn't) he can then debate (destroy) her and that could give him the freedom from that aspect of the base to be honest about his progressive beliefs.

Plus, Republicans that can get elected in blue bastion Massachusetts deserve a look, IMO. Scott Brown, for example, has made Keith Olbermann look like an even bigger tool by votiing his conscience and his consituency and not at all strictly along party lines. He's bucked them several times, and is showing me to be the kind of Republican I respect and support.

~Bang

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-usa-campaign-battlegrounds-idUSTRE74J63E20110520

Obama dramatically expanded the political playing field in 2008, competing and winning in states that had not backed a Democrat for president in a generation, but next year's map could look more like President George W. Bush's tight 2004 re-election win over Democrat John Kerry.

The sputtering economy and unhappiness with Obama's leadership have battered his popularity nationwide, hitting him particularly hard in conservative states like North Carolina, Indiana and Virginia where in 2008 he broke Democratic losing streaks dating to the 1960s.

High unemployment and a declining manufacturing industry also have helped drive down his poll numbers in traditional Rust Belt battlegrounds like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, which are crucial to his hopes of putting together the 270 electoral votes needed for re-election.

No matter who the Republicans nominate, as long as it isn't one of the fringe characters, there is a floor of support at around 45% - 47%. That's true for both parties.

But the article you linked to is wrong on several points. First, Obama is actually holding up well in North Carolina, and very well in Virginia. With Virginia, the recession hasn't been as big a factor as it has been in other states. A couple of polls already show Obama with a better than 50% approval rating in both states, and comfortably beating Romney and other candidates in Virginia, while posting a small, but still solid lead in North Carolina.

The reason both states will become tougher and tougher for Republicans to win in Presidential elections is because both have a high percentage of black voters, rapidly growing hispanic populations, areas that contain a large voting block of young white liberals, and then pockets of liberal support in various college towns through out each state.

His support is a little weaker in the mid-west, but Wisconsin hasn't been hit as hard as Ohio or Pennsylvania. And Governors Walker and Kasich I think have motivated and energized the Democratic base where it won't take much to get them out in 2012. You can say the same thing in Florida, where Rick Scott is toxic.

Now, of course he's going to be on the defense. He's at the point of diminishing returns in that there are very few other states he can pick up. However, I do expect him to make a run in Georgia, Arizona, and Missouri. Poll out in early April from Georgia showed him about even in the state with approval and down only by three to Romney. Arizona he'd start out down four to Romney. Missouri a poll showed him down 6 to Romney.

So he'll spend in those states and force Republicans to use money in states they'd rather not be using it in.

But I do think your point still stands, and it is going to be a tougher race for him.

Yeah it would.

I'm a firm believer in giving people enough rope to hang themselves, and Michelle Bachmann on a presidential campaign would be one coil after another.

~Bang

Be careful what you wish for. Republicans said much the same thing about the incompetent fool who happened to go on to win the last presidential election.

Be careful what you wish for. Republicans said much the same thing about the incompetent fool who happened to go on to win the last presidential election.

Love him or hate him (and we know which side of the tree you fall on), but Obama never said half of the crazy stuff that Bachmann has nor showed the lack of understanding of the Constitution that she has.

:ols: Point taken. You may not like him for his lack of experience, which is valid, but he isn't a mouth frothing crazy like she is.

~Bang

No matter who the Republicans nominate, as long as it isn't one of the fringe characters, there is a floor of support at around 45% - 47%. That's true for both parties.

But the article you linked to is wrong on several points. First, Obama is actually holding up well in North Carolina, and very well in Virginia. With Virginia, the recession hasn't been as big a factor as it has been in other states. A couple of polls already show Obama with a better than 50% approval rating in both states, and comfortably beating Romney and other candidates in Virginia, while posting a small, but still solid lead in North Carolina.

The reason both states will become tougher and tougher for Republicans to win in Presidential elections is because both have a high percentage of black voters, rapidly growing hispanic populations, areas that contain a large voting block of young white liberals, and then pockets of liberal support in various college towns through out each state.

His support is a little weaker in the mid-west, but Wisconsin hasn't been hit as hard as Ohio or Pennsylvania. And Governors Walker and Kasich I think have motivated and energized the Democratic base where it won't take much to get them out in 2012. You can say the same thing in Florida, where Rick Scott is toxic.

Now, of course he's going to be on the defense. He's at the point of diminishing returns in that there are very few other states he can pick up. However, I do expect him to make a run in Georgia, Arizona, and Missouri. Poll out in early April from Georgia showed him about even in the state with approval and down only by three to Romney. Arizona he'd start out down four to Romney. Missouri a poll showed him down 6 to Romney.

So he'll spend in those states and force Republicans to use money in states they'd rather not be using it in.

But I do think your point still stands, and it is going to be a tougher race for him.

This brings up a good point. When the 2012 election rolls around, unless its Herman Cain (which is unlikely), with African-American voters, will states with higher % of voters turn out strong for Obama, and if so....why?

This brings up a good point. When the 2012 election rolls around, unless its Herman Cain (which is unlikely), with African-American voters, will states with higher % of voters turn out strong for Obama, and if so....why?

I'm pretty certain they will for a couple of reasons.

1. They didn't actually turn out at such a higher rate in 2008 than they did 2004. In NC, it was something like 21% of the electorate in 2008 was black, while 20% of the electorate was black in 2004. Obama did capture a higher percentage of the black vote.

Also, black voters tend to turn out in presidential years.

2. Black voters are very protective of Obama. They hear the subtle references to his skin color. Republicans will deny it, but they see it. And they will turn out for him again in 2012 to show their support.

And Herman Cain will do nothing for Republican chances to pick up the black vote. Black voters will vote overwhelmingly for a white Democrat over a black Republican.

The same thing for hispanic voters. You see Republicans nominated a bunch of hispanic candidates to appeal to hispanic voters. Brian Sandoval won Governor of Nevada, but lost the hispanic vote by a 2:1 margin. You can point to Marco Rubio of Florida, but Cubans are a Republican leaning demographic and he only won 55% of hispanics when in 2004 the Republicans got 60% of the hispanic vote in Florida.

So O will get the racists votes?:pokeye:

Just saying.

You missed this:

"Black voters will vote overwhelmingly for a white Democrat over a black Republican."

It's only natural that they feel protective of the President, especially when they feel he's being attacked on racial grounds or politicians are using coded language that they are sensitive to.

But the reality is they don't trust Republicans and Republicans have given them no reason to trust them. So they will continue to vote Democratic on 95% of the ballots they cast.

I never understand the "Mitch Daniels is the budget genius" theory we hear around here.

Mitch Daniels was Bush's budget director at the time of the disasterous budgets that put us in this horrible hole that we find ourselves in now. His resume in this area may look good, but his record is horrible.

Archived