Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observation: Republican party intimidated by the worst President in U.S. history

Burgold

For three years, including several months before he took office we have heard non-stop how Barack Obama was the worst President in U.S. history. A President that made Jimmy Carter look like a combo of FDR and Ronald Reagan. Yet here we are in the election cycle looking at the candidates who are rising to oppose him and save us from Obama's monstrous incompetency... and I am more struck by who's not running than who is? If Obama is as bad as the Republicans, the Conservatives, the Libertarians, and Talk Radio says... why are so many afraid to face him? Why do many think he'll be difficult to unseat. Okay sure, he stabilized the banking industry, saved the U.S. automotive industry, and got Bin Laden, but unemployment still sucks, gas prices are high, and we are beginning to feel inflation.

We're talking about the worst leader in the history of humanity people! Why are the big time Republicans cowering in a corner and refusing to run? Could it be that Obama's been pretty good?

This is literally the best the Republican party can do at the moment.

Who else can or should run that actually a) has a chance and B) is qualified?

Someone like Marco Rubio will have to wait around until at least 2016, if not 2020.

Jeb Bush? Peh, Bush

Huckabee? :ols:

Palin? We don't know her intentions yet

He shattered all budget deficit records, hasn't cut back on entitlements at a time when government spending is out of control, continues to let the financial industry do whatever they want, allows the very wealthy (and corporations) continue to not pay their fair share of taxes, hasn't been able to get health care costs under control...

The Republicans wouldn't have been any better, they are just as dysfunctional.

Come on, Palin should be out there, Huckabee, Bush, Delay, Condi Rice, George Allen, Trump... where are the Big time Senators and Reps? The biggest names in the Republican Party are sitting on the sidelines. Where are the guys who are always brought onto Meet the Press or the Sunday Morning Political circuit?

Do they lack ambition, a plan, or is what we've been hearing about Obama for three years just partisan bull cookies?

Come on, Palin should be out there, Huckabee, Bush, Delay, Condi Rice, George Allen, Trump... where are the Big time Senators and Reps? The biggest names in the Republican Party are sitting on the sidelines. Where are the guys who are always brought onto Meet the Press or the Sunday Morning Political circuit?

Do they lack ambition, a plan, or is what we've been hearing about Obama for three years just partisan bull cookies?

I know you are being faceticious but I am not sure any of them are "big names" except for Palin. And she still has plenty of time to declare

Tom Delay? :ols:

I know you are being faceticious but I am not sure any of them are "big names" except for Palin. And she still has plenty of time to declare

Tom Delay? :ols:

Hey, don't mock the first politician big enough and important enough to participate on Dancing with the Stars! Harrumph!!

Man there is still a lot of time between now & Nov 12. We had a lot of talk just like this in the midterms and look how that turned out. Keep harping and we shall see.

I'm just thinking about who says their not running and who seems frightened about running against him. This is not a predictive thread.

Oh they, (the GOP) still think Obama is the anti-Christ. Problem is that no one has "stepped up to the plate." Maybe they were banking on Palin (:barf:).

However, Mrs. Palin quit the governorship, wrote a book, and starred in a TV show.

The GOP hoping to win with Palin is like the Redskins hoping to win with Rex Grossman.

Like her or not, she is one of the most potent and popular conservative minds of this century and the population she has tapped into adore her and embrase her philosophy completely.

The GOP (at the national level) will continue to be in trouble until it retakes its party from the fringe element.

The clowns are running that circus over there.

This is, and has been, the problem for Republicans for quite some time. Far right, social conservatives have a stranglehold on the party, despite the fact that (in my opinion) they're in the minority. The GOP is in complete disarray and they're going to be in a lot of trouble, especially on the national level, for a long time if they don't get their act together and figure out just who they are as a party.

Does anyone see any potential for fireworks at the Republican National Convention next year?

it's not going to be that difficult for the GOP to ultimate vet a candidate who has appeal when the economy is in the ******* due to current misguided economic policy. People vote their pocketbook and this won't bode well for the clown currently in office.

To be honest as a moderate conservative I do worry that they don't have any household names....save for Palin. I haven't heard a peep out of the Huckabee camp in quite some time, I really thought he would be a good candidate, but other than that I'm really not familiar with anyone else....oh yeah and romney...:(

Like her or not, she is one of the most potent and popular conservative minds of this century and the population she has tapped into adore her and embrase her philosophy completely.

IMO this is just bunk. Yes she has her followers but they are miniscule relative to what one needs to be a force nationally.

Who is not running that you think should be?

I don't think Obama is "intimidating" to keep competition out of the race so much as the closset is bare on the GOP side of the race. Frankly the elder statesmen on the GOP side of the ticket have fallen through retirements or attrition due to the near universal support in the GOP for GW's horrendous fiscal policies.

What you have left is young turks who are full of fire and lack the name recognition or experience to be entrusted with such high office or a third tear of experienced operatives.

This is a great opprotunity for growth in the GOP It's akin to the time after Watergate when Ronald Reagan came to power from the second tier status which had defined his career for decades. It's a time for the GOP to select a new direction for itself. Or of coarse it's a time to float the same old direction repackaged and see if it has one more victory in it's appeal. which I doubt.

Guys who I think would be strong GOP candiates aren't really polititians today..

General Petraus for example. Those guys are on the horizon, and they might be short sited solutions. They are afterall vehicles for the current GOP brain trust to hold on to power rather than new blood.

I actually think the OP raises a good question. This is an issue for Republicans, but not because Huckabee and Palin aren't in yet. Here's a list of people who all appear headed to 2016 instead of 2012. I don't understand why they're not, but one of them really should step up now.

Chris Christie

Paul Ryan

Marco Rubio

Bobby Jindal

Rick Perry

There are others (Bush - who's name is more poisonous than B. Hussein Obama's) and Allen (who will probably never overcome the Macaca moment). But the list above could all have a legit shot, and most would probably vaunt to the head of the pack if they entered now.

It's really curious to me that none of the above are enterring. Do they really think Obama isn't beatable? Do Romney and Gingrich have the major donors already lined up? Are one or many of them considering enterring the race, and just staying below the radar to reduce the time they'll have to take major media heat?

I actually think the OP raises a good question. This is an issue for Republicans, but not because Huckabee and Palin aren't in yet. Here's a list of people who all appear headed to 2016 instead of 2012. I don't understand why they're not, but one of them really should step up now.

Chris Christie

Paul Ryan

Marco Rubio

Bobby Jindal

Rick Perry

There are others (Bush - who's name is more poisonous than B. Hussein Obama's) and Allen (who will probably never overcome the Macaca moment). But the list above could all have a legit shot, and most would probably vaunt to the head of the pack if they entered now.

It's really curious to me that none of the above are enterring. Do they really think Obama isn't beatable? Do Romney and Gingrich have the major donors already lined up? Are one or many of them considering enterring the race, and just staying below the radar to reduce the time they'll have to take major media heat?

I've been mostly tongue in cheek in this thread, but that is the kernal of seriousness in this thread. I do think that there are some up and comers or strong figures who have bowed out or seem to be shying away and it doesn't really make sense. Some like Santorum got hit by controversy of their own making. Others, like Jindal are the victims of a single bad speech which shouldn't be enough to capsize him if he really is a bright young mind and important future candidate.

Archived