Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bad Movies thread, please think of your neighbors and friends warn somebody!!

AsburySkinsFan

Scary movies should never be watched at home, while distracted, or when you decide to ruin it for yourself by not focusing on the movie. Scares don't work if you miss details or aren't paying attention.

Having said that most serial killer movies don't do it for me because they seem to depend on people with fight or flight instincts with a loose wire. The character run when they should fight, fight when they should run, and then inexplicably stop doing one (while it's working) to do the other without reason. Plus one a character does find themselves armed... they proceed immediately to someplace with lots of shadows and multiple entrance as oppose to a room with one door.

Scary movies should never be watched at home, while distracted, or when you decide to ruin it for yourself by not focusing on the movie. Scares don't work if you miss details or aren't paying attention.

Having said that most serial killer movies don't do it for me because they seem to depend on people with fight or flight instincts with a loose wire. The character run when they should fight, fight when they should run, and then inexplicably stop doing one (while it's working) to do the other without reason. Plus one a character does find themselves armed... they proceed immediately to someplace with lots of shadows and multiple entrance as oppose to a room with one door.

You forgot the worst one. When they turn around to run, and an invisible hand trips them up. And its even worse when the person chasing them is mind-numbingly slow, and is yards away, only to magically catch up to the victim.

---------- Post added May-8th-2011 at 10:43 PM ----------

I didn't like 1408 at all. I haven't seen The Shining or Devils Advocate. I like psychological thrillers, but don't normally find them scary. I would say that thrillers are my favorite type of movie to watch.

Idon't think that movies like that, by themselves, are scary. I think the only scary thing about it is when you find out that you aren't in control of your own thoughts, and the psychological breakdown that occurs afterwards, if that makes any sense to you

I also can't believe there are people in this thread actually defending Due Date.

That was a really unfunny movie. Robert Downey Jr. is an obnoxious dick the entire time (but we're supposed to care about him getting to his wife in time to see their baby born), Zach Galifianakis' character wore thin by the halfway point, and the movie was full of meaningless extra plot points. Downey Jr.'s wife might have slept with Jamie Foxx! The baby might be his! No, not really, but let's randomly waste 20 minutes exploring that idea before never bringing it back up again anyway. I can't believe Robert Downey Jr. got caught with pot at the border! Good thing Zach Galifianakis can literally break him out of custody and get him back to the U.S., without any further questions!

I think the only joke in the entire movie that actually came back full circle was Zach Galifianakis' obsession with Two And a Half Men. The rest of the movie was unfulfilled jokes and lazy comedic set pieces.

100% agree with this also. Due Date I actually got bored with.

-Practically all movies starring Adam Sandler made after 1999

-99% of movies led by/heavily involving children (exceptions include The Fall and Empire of the Sun)

-Spoof movies made in the past 20 years or so. Hot Shots! Part Deux is probably the last good one

I watched it on pay per view at home.

It's just not the type of thing that scares me. I wouldn't say gore scares me either. I think movies that scare me the most are about sociopaths, like The Last House on the Left, because there are really people like that in this world. It's hard for me to be scared of ghosts.

just wait until The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer comes out. Mickey Rourke stars as Richard "The Ice Man" Kuklinski: Serial/contract killer. Best part? Not only is it plausible, but its real. I think a lot of the show Dexter comes from him.

just wait until The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer comes out. Mickey Rourke stars as Richard "The Ice Man" Kuklinski: Serial/contract killer. Best part? Not only is it plausible, but its real. I think a lot of the show Dexter comes from him.

Have you watched the documentary about Kuklinski? I had the heebie jeebies for a few days after watching it. The thought of somebody caring so little about killing over 200 people is hard to swallow.

I'm looking forward to the Mickey Rourke movie, as well as the version starring Michael Shannon and James Franco. Both of the movies likely won't be movies that will be mentioned in this thread.

Have you watched the documentary about Kuklinski? I had the heebie jeebies for a few days after watching it. The thought of somebody caring so little about killing over 200 people is hard to swallow.

Indeed I have. I happened to catch it late one night many years ago. I think there may be two documentaries on him, actually. I found it fascinating (and a bit scary at the time, given how much younger I was). The first one was quite some time ago, but I think in a more recent one, he died before they finished editing it or something, and the circumstances around his death are suspicious as he was supposed to testify against a mob boss.

Simply fascinating.

Starship Troopers?? No way man. It was intentionally meant to be cheesy and "so bad it's good". It's one of the many reasons I liked that movie. Like someone mentioned though, the sequels? Yeah I don't know what the **** those were about.

See, here's my issue with Starship Troopers and why its #1 on my most hated list. The book is one of the classics of sci-fi, is on the reading lists of the Navy and USMC, and deals with some very thought-provoking issues such as earned vs. automatic franchisement, capital punishment, etc.. And instead of getting a movie based on that, the execs turn the film over to the guy who brought us Showgirls, hated the book which he never bothered finishing, and gave him free-reign to turn it into some wannabe-Nazi world and a joke with killer farting bugs.

And to top it off, they completely cut out the "cool" factor of the powersuits in the book, ya know, the suits that made the Mobile Infantry, well, mobile. The acting was horrid...ya, Ironside and Clancy Brown were hamming it up, but the rest of the cast were just awful and the dialogue was pathetic.

Indeed I have. I happened to catch it late one night many years ago. I think there may be two documentaries on him, actually. I found it fascinating (and a bit scary at the time, given how much younger I was). The first one was quite some time ago, but I think in a more recent one, he died before they finished editing it or something, and the circumstances around his death are suspicious as he was supposed to testify against a mob boss.

Simply fascinating.

Dr. Michael Baden (famous forensic pathologist) ruled out any foul play regarding his death. He suffered from heart disease and phlebitis. I also found the documentaries and the man fascinating to watch. The book was excellent too. Some former FBI agents do not believe all of his accounts/confessions - notably the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa. Another mob hitman and Teamster Frank Sheeran "The Irishman" confessed on his death bed as having took part in the killing. Nonetheless, I definitely would not want the Iceman after me.

Mickey Rourke's casting sounds like a winner.

Gotta disagree with Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers is a classic "so bad it's good" film, especially for the sci-fi genre. Not to mention, there are actually a few fairly clever satirical moments thrown in throughout the film.

Now the direct-to-DVD sequels...those are terrible.

Agreed here, Starship Troopers was not a movie to be taken seriously at all (at least I hope not), it's so over the top rife with Nazi looking generals and Nazi youth scenes, stereotypical quarterback becomes a great grunt leader, with his heart getting broken by his high school sweet heart. Not to mention the odd voice over sections that gives the illusion of a choice about what you're going to watch. It wasn't made to be taken seriously instead it's made to be laughed at as it pretends to be a bad John Wayne WWII flick set in outer space.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

I thought 300 was stupid and offensive. Most of the time I end up disliking movies set in the classical period because they're usually so off the wall.

See I saw (that's an odd turn of phrase) 300 as being told like the story would have been told back then, not as accurate, but completely over-hyped in order to amplify the greatness and bravery of those 300 who stood against the entire Persian army, in order to build an adrenaline fueled enthusiasm amongst the Greek soldiers as they themselves prepare to fight against the full Persian army. Anyone who goes into that thinking it's a Saving Private Ryan-esque war movie WILL be disappointed. But, watch it knowing that's how stories/myths of greatness were told then it's fun.

"Then we'll fight in the shade", great line!

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 08:58 AM ----------

I completely agree. They never tried to make it something that it wasn't. It was meant to be your typical, satirical, cheesy sci-fi flick. I view movies like The Fifth Element and The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy in the same vein.

Agreed completely, those movies aren't supposed to be taken seriously, they're funny and they mess with the genre on purpose if only to make fun of folks who take sci-fi seriously. LOL

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 09:01 AM ----------

I overlooked sportjunkie's post about Nicolas Cage movies, probably because I'm trying to block Cage from my memory. In regards to Knowing, I'm convinced that you could only enjoy it if you're the type of person who just blindly likes any Sci-Fi movie that is produced (I know these types of people, because my father is one of them). Knowing is a disaster of a disaster movie with the third act being one of the most grotesquely awful climaxes in the long annals of the science fiction medium.

I don't see Knowing as a sci-fi movie at all, but instead an exploration of theology as what happens is Biblical prophecy are fulfilled and the movie plays out how those things might actually work themselves out. Pretty nice in that respect, Cage's acting....*gag*

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 09:03 AM ----------

Another crappy movie? Paranormal Activity. I don't know how anybody can be scared by that.

Blair Witch right along side of it. I remember watching that dreck with my wife, my brother and sister-in-law, halfway through my sister-in-law kept repeating...."isn't this scary!?" Uhhh....no....

The Happening. My best friend and I saw it one afternoon. She actually got her money back from the studio after writing a letter.

That movie was all kinds of ****.

Seriously, was the worst movie I have ever seen. Absolutely terrible.

Seriously, was the worst movie I have ever seen. Absolutely terrible.

Agreed, I was mad at the end of The Happening, I guess because I so wanted that movie to be good, and was left utterly disappointed by it, it was another one of those that just kinda stops when there is obviously more story to tell...annoying.

Night of the Living Dead

UYR3dorshwA

that was easily one of the GREATEST movies of all time. Easily.

Night of the living dead, and Night of the Hunter

were the only two movies I ever saw that REALLY scared me. THere used to be an abandoned house on the edge of the High School property near my house... You had to go past it if you were going just about ANYWHERE on foot from my house.... but I could NEVER just walk past that house after seeing night of the living dead. If i was alone, I SPRINTED past the house. every time. I couldn't not sprint, although I tried a couple of times.... and if i was with other people, I tried to play it cool, but was always on the verge of sprinting off... that movie scared the pants off of me. and I tried to watch it again about 3 years ago, and couldn't go past the "they're coming to get you, barbara..." scene in that youtube clip (the very begining of the movie).

Seriously though, 300 feels like one very long slow motion fight with History Channel style narration. It's truly as if the director, Zach Snyder, realized he only recorded 30 minutes worth of material and decided to transfer the entire reel from 60 frames per second to 24 fps. This movie has style, but the rest of the movie is just screaming and slow motion. A true masterpiece for the A.D.D generation.
Truth. History Channel does better shows than 300.

worst "well regarded" movie of all time: A chorus line.

that movie made me want to kill every person in the room, just to end their misery. I honestly HATED that move with every fiber of my being. I thought it was the most boring, annoyingly self absorbed bowl of steaming feces I have ever seen... and it was rated either 4 or 5 stars EVERYWHERE.

I can't believe someone said Night of the Living Dead is a bad movie. It is probably an American Classic and was actually about race in American's culture at that time.

Also the Blair Witch hate. It was an original idea at the time and if you have ever been camping I think it would scare you. Spoiler: The scene at the end when the friend is in the corner of the basement and the girl is running around screaming his name. Then she gets hit and everything goes black. That is a scene I still can't shake from my head.

The Human Centipede - Don't you dare watch this VERY STUPID movie.

I Netflixed it because I just had to see it for myself. Pretty bad.

I also agree with the person who listed the NOES remake. I wasn't interested in seeing it but my wife did get it on Netflix about a month ago and about 10 min in I knew it was going to be garbage. If you're going to remake something, you better have something to "say" and not just remake it for the sake of remaking.

My contribution to this fine thread is how about a movie you once thought was good but now don't like?

For me it's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. While I never thought it was even close to the first two (which are perfect-Raiders and near perfect-Temple) I did like it back in 89. But watching it in the years that followed, it's flaws just stick out more and more. The story is just a rehash of Raiders. The film felt "small" in that everything just felt like a set or confined (the boat, the tank fight). The effects are horrible and the ending was weak. I appreciate they were trying to mirror the opening of Raiders with the ending of Crusade, but defy anyone to watch both sequences and think they are anywhere close in quality or suspense.

The thing that "worked" back when I first saw it was the Connery/Ford chemistry and the humor they shared. This has worn off though over the years and the jokes just to hold up for me. This is why I tell people who rip on Crystal Skull that it shouldn't be a surprise since Last Crusade was about the same in quality in my opinion.

The other film is Terminator 2. Loved this movie in 91. But time has not been kind to it. A "good" Terminator that serves as a daddy figure to teenage delinquent John Conner is simply not as entertaining as the badass hunting Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn in the first one. Besides, how the hell does "liquid metal" go through the time machine that needed human tissue? Cameron ignored his own rules he setup in the first one. Some of the action set pieces are strong but the overall direction that Cameron took the Terminator series was not as good as it could have been.

The only thing that still works at a high level in Terminator 2 is Linda Hamilton's Sarah Conner. I can completely believe that the character we meet in the first one, after going through what she went through and knowing what she knows about what is to come, would go all survivalist psycho and Hamilton's performance is still the standout thing in that movie.

The thing that "worked" back when I first saw it was the Connery/Ford chemistry and the humor they shared. This has worn off though over the years and the jokes just to hold up for me. This is why I tell people who rip on Crystal Skull that it shouldn't be a surprise since Last Crusade was about the same in quality in my opinion.
I saw a world of difference in the acting, especially the two leads you mention, and oh Alison Doody........ C'mon, Crystal Skull had none of the charm Crusade did.
The only thing that still works at a high level in Terminator 2 is Linda Hamilton's Sarah Conner. I can completely believe that the character we meet in the first one, after going through what she went through and knowing what she knows about what is to come, would go all survivalist psycho and Hamilton's performance is still the standout thing in that movie.
Thanks for reminding me about that, and the good acting in Crusade. The look on Linda's face, when the original Terminator walks up to her and she has no idea what's going on and still having flashbacks from "him" trying to kill her before? Priceless. She was carrying that movie with her acting, same way Ford and Connery did.

Also the Blair Witch hate. It was an original idea at the time and if you have ever been camping I think it would scare you. Spoiler: The scene at the end when the friend is in the corner of the basement and the girl is running around screaming his name. Then she gets hit and everything goes black. That is a scene I still can't shake from my head.

I had the exact opposite response, sorry but that film bored me to tears, but then I don't get spooked by Ghost Hunters on tv either, and screaming off camera or looking fearfully into the dark with the picture out of focus is no way to spend 90 minutes. ;)

I can't believe someone said Night of the Living Dead is a bad movie. It is probably an American Classic and was actually about race in American's culture at that time.

People that don't like horror movies shouldn't comment on them. It's like asking a indie film loving hipster about action movies.

Archived