Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Redskins front-runners for V. Young

warren

We know the teams got too many needs this season to be considered a Superbowl contender, QB or not.

You're bringing in Vince to compete and to see if he could get his career back on track. Not to win a SB next season

We know that as production goes for a QB compared to his peers VY produces near the bottom of the league and has been benched numerous times for poor play

We also know the the team performs better when he's in, he didn't have very many receiving weapons at his disposal until Britt came along, and the running game performs at a higher rate when he's in. In terms of benching, yes he's been benched but I wouldn't say its all performance based as there were obviously issues between Vince and Fisher. Fisher wanted to continue to start Collins in '09 even though they were 0-6!

You're also saying bottom of the league based on what numbers precisely? We've gone back & forth on w/l but take a look at this at what his value per play is:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

We know that VY has serious issues on and off the field which includes depression, suicidal thoughts, fighting with his coaches and flipping out on his home town fans

We have to do our homework here. Kyle's UT connection with Vince and references that Shanahan gets from guys like Heimerdinger go a long way. If they hear the right things to make them comfortable then I'm good....If not, then I agree we have to pass. In terms of depressions & suicidial thoughts, you have to look into it but also shouldn't eliminate a person based on issues like that. Ken Griffey Jr. tried to commit suicide before be went pro and he seems to have done just fine.

Exactly. I'd rather go 3-13 next year and keep stocking young talent over 9-7 every year with Vince Young and waste away another 15 wallowing in mediocrity. I'm glad we think along the same lines.

x3 or whatever on this. Right now changing the culture we have here in Washington is more important in the long-term right now than a couple extra wins in the short-term with the wrong type of players. Especially when you take into consideration how tenuous this change in operation really is. We still have yet to complete that nucleus of blue-collar, high-motor guys with a strong work ethic and putting the wrong type of player in a leadership position will just completely undermine all that effort.

I personally say, thanks but no thanks.

He's an athletic kid that will make plays and may end up being better than the QB's we currently have. But he's not worth the headache. I think it will be McNabb situation all over again. Where to thought "he's at least better than what he had." How did that work out?

Just give someone like Beck, Alex Smith, Leinart and Grossman a shot. If they suck, Shanahans get to draft a QB of their choice...

I personally say, thanks but no thanks.

He's an athletic kid that will make plays and may end up being better than the QB's we currently have. But he's not worth the headache. I think it will be McNabb situation all over again. Where to thought "he's at least better than what he had." How did that work out?

Just give someone like Beck, Alex Smith, Leinart and Grossman a shot. If they suck, Shanahans get to draft a QB of their choice...

Now Alex Smith would be my choice in thinking he would work great in the Shanahan offfense. He's never had a QB type HC and I think Shanahan could turn him into a very good starting NFL QB.

I understand some of the criticism of VY coming here to play; however, I don't understand why people believe signing him would be just as big of a mistake as trading for McNabb. We can all say now trading for McNabb was a horrible trade for us, and Reid and the Eagles swindled us quite bad. With that said, while VY does come with baggage, he will come at a cheap price and is a no risk-high reward FA pick up. If he performs well w/the Shanahans then great, if he doesn't work out, then we cut him. We won't have to give him a major contract, we won't have to give up any draft picks to get him, IMO I don't see any downside to signing him to come in and compete with Beck and whoever else is at QB.

If we get VY, we will get a player who will play with 'chip' on his shoulders. In the last 2 seasons, VY has improved his QB rating to 98.6; he has a 30-17 'won-lost' record; and, took a team that was 0-6 and went 8-2... with a coach that never wanted him ! Comrades, check these links out:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jeff-fisher-vince-young-tennessee-titans-cruel-game-112910;

http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/Content/Draft_2011_Whats%20worse%20for%20CJ_020211).htm; and,

Vince Young - Everyday Workout

If you can get VY you got a player who gonna play with chip on his shoulders. In the last 2 season VY has improved his QB rating to 98.6 he has a 30/17 win record took a team that was 0-6 and he went 8-2. with a coach that never wanted him .Washington check these links out.

http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/Content/Draft_2011_Whats%20worse%20for%20CJ_020211).htm

The reason people don't give Young credit like you want is because he wasn't the primary reason they won those games. As for CJ production I believe when Young was in the game they relied more on the rushing game then when Collins was starting and they opened the passing game more. Look at the rush attempts per game with the two different QB's starting and let me know if I'm right

And right there in that link is our answer to my question

"In 2009, Chris Johnson played 9 games with Vince Young at QB (not including Week-17, we exclude for the skew of performance data that a Game-16/Week-17 stats can be around the league). The first 6 games of 2009, Johnson played with Kerry Collins at QB – then Young took over for the rest of the season. The difference between Chris Johnson’s time with Young vs. with Collins was remarkable.

15.8 carries per game with Collins, 25.2 carries per game with Young (59.5% more carries with Young)"

Guess we all know what Fisher thought of Vince Young the passer compared to the other monster Kerry Collins right there. And we can also see why Tennessee won so many of the games that Young started, hahahaha

Just signing Vince Young will become unnecessary distraction. This team is obviously not going to win **** this year so the FO is in "molding mode". In my eyes, Vince Young is not a long term solution for this team.

He's also going to need a good offensive line and the closest thing to Chris Johnson's production. We're just not there yet! He's doesn't sound mentally ready to take the QB position for this team. Plus the Shanahan's don't want to deal with players that can't take criticism.

So just pass on VY and keep modling the team. If there's a training camp, do a QB by committee with the QB's I mentioned above.

Now Alex Smith would be my choice in thinking he would work great in the Shanahan offfense. He's never had a QB type HC and I think Shanahan could turn him into a very good starting NFL QB.

agreed. i would love to see what shanny could do with smith.

What I don't like is his accuracy......Mcnabb got benched because of accuracy, and Vince Young is no better. Plus the Skins don't have CJ28 to bail Vince Young out. Sure maybe coach Mike might bring him in to tryout or simply for competition in training camp. But I don't see him starting in DC. That just my 2 cents :)

im all for any talented QB to come into the redskins organization and compete to redeem there careers as well as give us the best chance to win, and if Vince Young, Bulger, Leinart, Clausen,Quinn, Colt Brennan, Russell, Favre LOL, Carr, etc want to come and prove something, im all for it... I mean look at our QB depth chart now, id reall y like to see a huge competition, and possibly attain a cheap qb who potentially can show why there were drafted early... Honestly, id like to have Quinn,Young, Clausen, or Leinart come into our team and compete and see if we can develop or extract some good play out of them

YOUNG, LEINART, QUINN, CLAUSEN, BULGER.. come on down and compete for a job

: )

I wouldn't mind Smith at all. San Fran has offered him a deal and he may stay, but I would at least look into it. I want to see us give a shot to a younger player who has potential that hasn't been realized yet and give them a shot at competing w/ Beck in TC.....I think Grossman is pointless as we know what he is and we know positively he's not the answer long-term.

Just signing Vince Young will become unnecessary distraction. This team is obviously not going to win **** this year so the FO is in "molding mode". In my eyes, Vince Young is not a long term solution for this team.

He's also going to need a good offensive line and the closest thing to Chris Johnson's production. We're just not there yet! He's doesn't sound mentally ready to take the QB position for this team. Plus the Shanahan's don't want to deal with players that can't take criticism.

So just pass on VY and keep modling the team. If there's a training camp, do a QB by committee with the QB's I mentioned above.

Listen there are plenty of QBS and players who have not been able to succeed due to the opportunity the were given, players falter due to schemes, or just not being groomed right.. Plenty of players have just not been able to showcase there talent, or show why there were projected to be what they were before they played. . No matter what every team will get publicity good or bad, and distractions would be overated. . Having a new signing will always bring news, but it really wouldn't take away from the team. So many players in the league over the years have become much better players than when they started, many early draft picks or QBS falter because they were not developed or in the proper scheme... Inviting VINCE YOUNG, BRADY QUINN, MATT LEINART, MARC BULGER, ALEX SMITH, RUSSELL, CLAUSEN...etc... those are just a few names of QBS who have not had the proper development or been able to succeed at the nfl level, bring them in AND LET THEM COMPETE TO EARN A JOB, they are all talented, and all it takes its great coaching and a offensive philosophy suited for them.. Its just an opportunity, to let a player earn his place on a team and to show his value.. Hell Quinn could ultimately become a great QB still he has plenty of upside, he just didn't have the proper team to succeed or show his ablilty, c'mon he played for the browns, i beleive if quinn was on the pakcers or texans, hed be solid. . give him time, and that goes for many other qbs, COME AND COMPETE, EARN A SPOT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, WE NEED IT... mcnabb,rex, beck...hmmmm yah im open for a qb competition

---------- Post added May-7th-2011 at 10:20 PM ----------

exactly...bring in a talented unproven qb, they were projected for a reason, many of this qbs were just put in a bad situation...and were not developed properly...WHAT IS WRONG W/ HAVING SOME TALENTED QBS COMPETING FOR A JOB...hell bring in smith,leinart,young,quinn,etc let them compete...there all young and have the tools to be a good starting qb in the leauge, honestly, quinn has a lot upside, he just was never devloped right, and he sat behind garbage, and the browns were not really a good team to show the besrt of someone...Quinn i believe can still succeed..reminds me of rivers a bit..

Listen there are plenty of QBS and players who have not been able to succeed due to the opportunity the were given, players falter due to schemes, or just not being groomed right.. Plenty of players have just not been able to showcase there talent, or show why there were projected to be what they were before they played. . No matter what every team will get publicity good or bad, and distractions would be overated. . Having a new signing will always bring news, but it really wouldn't take away from the team. So many players in the league over the years have become much better players than when they started, many early draft picks or QBS falter because they were not developed or in the proper scheme... Inviting VINCE YOUNG, BRADY QUINN, MATT LEINART, MARC BULGER, ALEX SMITH, RUSSELL, CLAUSEN...etc... those are just a few names of QBS who have not had the proper development or been able to succeed at the nfl level, bring them in AND LET THEM COMPETE TO EARN A JOB, they are all talented, and all it takes its great coaching and a offensive philosophy suited for them.. Its just an opportunity, to let a player earn his place on a team and to show his value.. Hell Quinn could ultimately become a great QB still he has plenty of upside, he just didn't have the proper team to succeed or show his ablilty, c'mon he played for the browns, i beleive if quinn was on the pakcers or texans, hed be solid. . give him time, and that goes for many other qbs, COME AND COMPETE, EARN A SPOT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, WE NEED IT... mcnabb,rex, beck...hmmmm yah im open for a qb competition

While the formatting of this post makes me laugh, the idea behind it doesn't. Open competition should and will be the mindset going into training camp (assuming there is one). Everyone screaming about VY would be an awful move and a headache and blah blah blah, enough. We wouldn't bring him here if he didn't fit. We wouldn't bring him here if he was going to be a headache. We'd bring him here if we thought he'd add value to our team.

Bottom line - we need a QB. Vince is a winner. He had issues in Tennessee, but I'm sure Shanny would discuss that with him before any type of contract is offered. I don't doubt that we'll bring in several QBs for workouts. Quinn, Young, Smith - all these guys were thought to have great potential but haven't reached it. With the quarterback situation the way it is now, why not bring in guys to compete and work?

When I first heard about the VY rumors, I rolled my eyes and thought 'Oh, here we go again.' But our team is totally different now. Our FO runs things differently. If we bring him here, it's for the right reasons and I'm for it.

yah, sorry i tend to not edit or care when i post comments..idk just something i dont care to do, but i guess to help people read or understand i should, next time..hah

but yes, we need an open competition w/ players who have potential to add value to our team, and ultimately will help us win.. Hell Id love to have Young,Quinn,Beck,Grossman...perhaps Mcnabb,Leinart,Bulger, COLT : ) as well be apart of a very intriguing qb competition in whihc i think we could very well develop any one of those qbs into a stud, plus they're all salivating to play w/ the chip on there shoulders and the opportunity to start and excel..

/snip/

When I first heard about the VY rumors, I rolled my eyes and thought 'Oh, here we go again.' But our team is totally different now. Our FO runs things differently. If we bring him here, it's for the right reasons and I'm for it.

Our FO runs things differently how? Last year's QB debacle isn't even resolved yet.

Texan here, who watched Young play from High School to now. The world is funny how it runs on rumors. The only 100 percent truth that's out about VY is that he punched a guy in a bar for talking mess about him or his school. VY has never been arrested, he has never been charged with a crime. A lot of the comments I see about him makes me laugh. He is labeled a headcase. He doesn't get in the media saying bad things about anyone, he doesn't talk bad about his team or former team, he never once went to the media talking bad about fisher. All he said was that he wanted to play, and wish he had some support. But yet all some people see is headcase, rumors and more rumors. Its just funny..

VY came from winning on every level, every single level. He has been the best since grade school. He came into the NFL and won the rookie of the year. Which is a feat in itself seeing as though he was only the third QB to do so the other 2 being being Ben Roethlisberger and Dennis Shaw a guy who played in the 70's. Matt Ryan became the fourth. And after all his accomplishments, he gets in the league with an initial accomplishment and he still doesn't have the backing of his own coach. Then his own fans boo him and he gets hurt. That's a whole lot of things he never dealt with ever before.

Regardless of what you think frustration with his situation is valid. He may have took it to far in a lot of people's eyes. The rumor of trying to kill himself is absolutely stupid and people just eat it up. Miscommunication, conjecture and a coach who doesn't like you blew this situation way out of proportion. If you do the least bit of research you will find that the whole idea of him trying to kill himself and being fine by the end of the night is totally inconceivable. A person that is so depressed that they are not only contemplating suicide but have taken actions to possible get it done usually a. is hospitalize for a few days or more, b. surrounded by family, friends or anyone to watch over them or c. gets it done and kills themselves. And you don't go from depression to killing yourself like you go 0-60.

People attempt suicide after a long history of depression. It just doesn't make since. Don't just listen to rumors and miscommunication. Do some research people.

Anyway on another note. The last time you guys had a mobile QB who supposedly wasn't living up to his potential before being a redskin, and there was a lockout you guys won the SUPERBOWL!

Doug Williams 1987, look it up! Have your own mind, do some research!!!!

Texan here, who watched Young play from High School to now. The world is funny how it runs on rumors. The only 100 percent truth that's out about VY is that he punched a guy in a bar for talking mess about him or his school. VY has never been arrested, he has never been charged with a crime. A lot of the comments I see about him makes me laugh. He is labeled a headcase. He doesn't get in the media saying bad things about anyone, he doesn't talk bad about his team or former team, he never once went to the media talking bad about fisher. All he said was that he wanted to play, and wish he had some support. But yet all some people see is headcase, rumors and more rumors. Its just funny..

VY came from winning on every level, every single level. He has been the best since grade school. He came into the NFL and won the rookie of the year. Which is a feat in itself seeing as though he was only the third QB to do so the other 2 being being Ben Roethlisberger and Dennis Shaw a guy who played in the 70's. Matt Ryan became the fourth. And after all his accomplishments, he gets in the league with an initial accomplishment and you still don't have the backing of your own coach. Then your own fans boo you as you get hurt.

Regardless of what you think frustration with his situation is valid. He may have took it to far in a lot of people's eyes. The rumor of trying to kill himself is absolutely stupid and people just eat it up. Miscommunication, conjecture and a coach who doesn't like you blew this situation way out of proportion. If you do the least bit of research you will find that the whole idea of him trying to kill himself and being fine by the end of the night is totally inconceivable. A person that is so depressed that they are not only contemplating suicide but have taken actions to possible get it done usually a. is hospitalize for a few days or more, b. surrounded by family, friends or anyone to watch over them or c. gets it done and kills themselves. And you don't go from depression to killing yourself like you go 0-60.

People attempt suicide after a long history of depression. It just doesn't make since. Don't just listen to rumors and miscommunication. Do some research people.

Anyway on another note. The last time you guys had a mobile QB who supposedly wasn't living up to his potential before being a redskin, and there was a lockout you guys won the SUPERBOWL!

+1. Thanks for stopping in and posting a truthfull and intelligent response.

VY came from winning on every level, every single level. He has been the best since grade school. He came into the NFL and won the rookie of the year. Which is a feat in itself seeing as though he was only the third QB to do so the other 2 being being Ben Roethlisberger and Dennis Shaw a guy who played in the 70's. Matt Ryan became the fourth. And after all his accomplishments, he gets in the league with an initial accomplishment and he still doesn't have the backing of his own coach. Then his own fans boo him and he gets hurt. That's a whole lot of things he never dealt with ever before.

WOW... Great first post!!!!

Last year during the off-season VY got into a fight in some strip club in Dallas!!!!!

Archived