Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Redskins front-runners for V. Young

warren

The South Florida South-Sentinel "hears" that the Redskins are the front-runners for Vince Young's services this offseason.

Redskins beat writer Rich Tandler has also heard talk of Vince Young in the nation's capital, so the smoke is building here. Due a $4.25 million bonus in addition to his $8.5 million salary, Young is likely to be released rather than traded. The Redskins are one of just two teams with no semblance of a viable starting QB. It's easy to see why V.Y. would be interested in signing on, as it's his quickest path to playing time.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204200/report-redskins-front-runners-for-v-young

It was said in another thread, I'll repeat it...

If he couldn't stand the fan criticism in Tennessee, he's got no chance here.

Yup. You are dead on here. Hard to see the best case scenario of him coming to DC.

I remember TK hinting at this the other day. Hoping it won't happen though

I'm not worried about fan criticism . I want to know if he can still play and if he has a desire to play. If so, bring him in ... if not ... then I'd rather give john beck a shot.

Also, if we did bring in VY I still think he should have to compete with Beck and co. for the starting job. No reason to hand it to him outright.

I understand some of the criticism of VY coming here to play; however, I don't understand why people believe signing him would be just as big of a mistake as trading for McNabb. We can all say now trading for McNabb was a horrible trade for us, and Reid and the Eagles swindled us quite bad. With that said, while VY does come with baggage, he will come at a cheap price and is a no risk-high reward FA pick up. If he performs well w/the Shanahans then great, if he doesn't work out, then we cut him. We won't have to give him a major contract, we won't have to give up any draft picks to get him, IMO I don't see any downside to signing him to come in and compete with Beck and whoever else is at QB.

I understand some of the criticism of VY coming here to play; however, I don't understand why people believe signing him would be just as big of a mistake as trading for McNabb. We can all say now trading for McNabb was a horrible trade for us, and Reid and the Eagles swindled us quite bad. With that said, while VY does come with baggage, he will come at a cheap price and is a no risk-high reward FA pick up. If he performs well w/the Shanahans then great, if he doesn't work out, then we cut him. We won't have to give him a major contract, we won't have to give up any draft picks to get him, IMO I don't see any downside to signing him to come in and compete with Beck and whoever else is at QB.

Agreed. Most fans want it their way or no way. I think people forget that Young has won a lot more games than he has lost. I'm all for bringing in anyone would could potentially help us at ANY position. Let them the compete and the best man wins the job.

So what are people's thought on VY. Does he have the tools to make it in a Shanahan type offense. I read on this sight we need someone who is accurate, does he fit the bill. I know he comes with some attitude problems but can he actually make a difference. I've never known him to put up big numbers stat wise. What do we get with a Vince Young?

So what are people's thought on VY. Does he have the tools to make it in a Shanahan type offense?

He doesn't have the tools to make it in any NFL type offense. He sucks. He's an athlete, not a quarterback. Gah. Hope this doesn't happen. I get so frustrated watching innacurate QBs.

Not really any acquisitions I've not been too happy with from the new regime (Larry Johnson and his liking for hitting females is the only one that really narked me); but I won't be happy about this if it comes to fruition. Aside from the fact that the dudes borderline mentally unstable, he's a pretty darn average pro QB.

We have enough of those already.

It's gona' be a LONG offensive year. Roll on 2012 and (hopefully) Landry Jones.

Hail.

It was said in another thread, I'll repeat it...

If he couldn't stand the fan criticism in Tennessee, he's got no chance here.

As others stated, well said Hitman. Agreed.

I do know that this is a low risk - possible high reward move, but just really don't see Vince as being much better if any better than Rex or whatever the unknown that Beck may bring to the table. Time will tell, I guess, but my vote (if it actually mattered, lol) would be against making this move...especially if there is a cap for 2011 in which case we should be using cap space on shoring up the O Line.

So what are people's thought on VY. Does he have the tools to make it in a Shanahan type offense. I read on this sight we need someone who is accurate, does he fit the bill. I know he comes with some attitude problems but can he actually make a difference. I've never known him to put up big numbers stat wise. What do we get with a Vince Young?

That's the thing, does he fit the offense? Because Kyle made it clear that he won't adjust for the QB... especially one that he did not want in the first place.*cough, cough McNabb.

It all depends if Vince Young learned anything from his time in TN like Michael Vick learned what it takes to be an NFL QB. People do change. Clearly the Shanahans have very high expectations on their QBs to listen, learn, and implement their way of doing things. McNabb did not want to change; thus the bad blood and the embarrassing situation. Young does have a lot of talent; just like Michael Vick. The question is whether VY is willing to be coached and is willing to grow a thicker skin.

IF the Skins were to sign VY it would be one of those Extremeskins all time contract favorites....vet minimum plus incentives. The contract would surely have an out for the Skins if VY proves he has learned nothing. It could be a very good situation....but only if he has changed. Contrary to what some have posted, VY did perform well on the field at times....so the talent is there....it just needs to be harnessed.

Let's look at some of his numbers:

6'5" 230 lbs

5 years in NFL but only played in 3 games in 2008

2 Pro Bowls

QB rating 75.7 (29 among active QBs; but increased each year to 98.6 in 2010)

Interception % - 3.5% (30th among active QBs)

Yards/pass completion 11.8 (10th among active QBs)

What I liked most after looking over his stats was almost every significant stat improved year after year. The only thing that dropped in the last two years was his copletion percentage which dropped a couple points below 60 percent. The guy produced on the field. If he can have a mental turnaround like Vick, he could be a good QB.

Much of VY's pro reputation is still based on what he did in the Ntl. CC game five years ago.

We've already brought in one headcase FA from the Titans, why another?

We don't need a QB now. 2011 is a throw away year for this team like last year should have been.

The media "hears" the Redskins are front runners for EVERY free agent or high profile signing.

Hopefully this reputation will change in the coming years.

It won't because I think Shanahan likes this sort of thing. He likes that we are associated with every free agent. He could easily say "No we are not interested in VY" but he would never say that. How many rumors have been wrong since Shanahan has joined the team? Trust me this will never end because now it serves a purpose.

This guy has character and leadership issues. Those days are over in D.C. I'm not sure when the media is going to realize it, but this team is building with blue collar guys who are team oriented. I'll take Grossman or Beck over VY any day of the week.

If it were just media rumours I'd be sitting easy.

But the insiders amongst our number have called this recently.

Hail.

VY is a crap ton better than Mcnugget, imo. Dude had a 90+ rating overall last season. Nabby cat was what, under 80? I'll take upside with talent and perceived mental instability over downside with fading talent and apathy.

Archived