Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What political type are you? (w/ quiz) WaPo Blog/Pew Research Center

#98QBKiller

Main Street Republicans

11% OF THE PUBLIC

What They Believe

Highly critical of government

Strongly opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage (strongly opposed to abortion. My take on same sex marriage is more nuanced)

Less enamored of business than the Staunch Conservatives

Generally negative about immigrants (this is way off base)

Mostly opposed to social welfare programs (government run...I'm a big believer in non-profits)

Confident that hard work pays off

Supportive of government efforts to protect the environment

Who They Are

76% are Republicans

Most are homeowners (84%); 51% have a gun in the household (I don't want a gun but I strongly support your right to own one)

Predominately non-Hispanic white (88%)

Highly religious (91% say religion is a very important part of their lives)

Concentrated in the South and Midwest (most politicians I like are Midwesterners)

Nearly one-quarter (24%) follow NASCAR racing (ugh....how embarrassing)

Most say they have enough income to lead the life they want (if I wanted a different income, I'd get a different job)

This said I was a Post-Modern making up 13% OF THE PUBLIC

What They Believe

Generally supportive of government, though more conservative on race policies and the safety net (Pretty much)

Strongly supportive of regulation and environmental protection (Not really but I can't say I don't care about the enviroment at all. I love trees)

Most (56%) say Wall Street helps the economy more than it hurts (Yes it does help my pocket :)

Very liberal on social issues, including same-sex marriage (Absolutely. Anyone against same sex marriage needs to get a clue)

One of the least religious groups: nearly a third are unaffiliated with any religious tradition (Yup. Believe in God, religion not at all)

Favor the use of diplomacy rather than force (Always. Loss of life is never a simple decision to me)

Who They Are

The youngest of the typology groups: 32% under age 30 (I am older then this)

A majority are non-Hispanic white and have at least some college experience (Yup I'm a whitey)

Half live in either the Northeast or the West (Or in Texas ****es!!)

A majority (58%) live in the suburbs (Sure I do)

63% use social networking (Have over 3000 friends on FB so this is true lol)

One-in-five regularly listen to NPR; 14% regularly watch The Daily Show (Daily show is a must, NPR are you ******** kidding me??)

I got "Libertarian", but I'm not going to agree with it, since five of those questions had answers that didn't fit my feelings very closely at all. I picked the "closest"... bt that would be like standing in the Mississippi and pointing to the closest ocean.

~Bang

Mainstreet Baby....Not a winger like you Staunchers........Actually a little surprised

Main Street Republicans are still conservative on most issues, but less so. They are less enamored of business than staunch conservatives and more supportive of government efforts to protect the environment. They also prefer a less aggressive foreign policy. Smarter than most liberals except Jimmy Carter :finger: (11%)

I'm the RIGHT Type. :D

We have seen what happens to the economy when you do things the liberal / progressive way instead of the Right way

:secret: We've been following the GOP playbook religiously for the last 30 years.

But keep drinking that Kool Aid.

Are you sure that's what you meant to say?

Well, I had a couple of choices that lead to the same conclusion:

S&L debacle: transfer of wealth upward. Rich get richer, poor get poorer, middle class takes a hit.

From 2001: 2 illegal invasions of sovereign nations costing us billions of dollars. Surplus turned into increasing deficits. Republicans say deficits don't matter. Then we have the mortgage crisis, banks get bailed out without any restrictions on what to do with the money which is doled out in large bonuses to employees, economy is tanking, result of outsourcing jobs to maximize profit is at an all time high, record numbers of people on unemployment, people losing their homes in shady foreclosures in an unregulated finance industry, huge tax cuts for the rich. Rich are still getting obscenely rich, poor still getting poorer, middle class getting it in the behind and not liking it.

That sounds like "tanked" to me.

Post Modern.....which says I am very liberal on social issues, which I don't quite agree with. Maybe I just don't like being associated with the word "liberal" at all!

One time I was in a round-table discussion about politics etc in seminary one of my fellow classmates called me a liberal, I still remember the look of confusion on his face when I didn't take offense. :ols:

Well, I had a couple of choices that lead to the same conclusion:

S&L debacle: transfer of wealth upward. Rich get richer, poor get poorer, middle class takes a hit.

From 2001: 2 illegal invasions of sovereign nations costing us billions of dollars. Surplus turned into increasing deficits. Republicans say deficits don't matter. Then we have the mortgage crisis, banks get bailed out without any restrictions on what to do with the money which is doled out in large bonuses to employees, economy is tanking, result of outsourcing jobs to maximize profit is at an all time high, record numbers of people on unemployment, people losing their homes in shady foreclosures in an unregulated finance industry, huge tax cuts for the rich. Rich are still getting obscenely rich, poor still getting poorer, middle class getting it in the behind and not liking it.

That sounds like "tanked" to me.

I think you misread NavyDave's post then.

I considered myself a libertarian for a long time. I'm still socially liberal and mostly financially conservative, but my idea of the role government should play has changed over time.

Oh, frankly, I think the label Libertarian has changed. A lot.

Used to be, the definition of Libertarian was "loony who thinks drugs should be legalized".

Then for a while, on many of the "political tests", you couldn't be a Libertarian unless you believed that the income tax should be repealed.

Now it seems to mean "loony who thinks that all corporations should be exempt from all regulations".

Or proof the quiz sucks ;)

Seems to have you and I about right. ;)

Mainstreet Baby....Not a winger like you Staunchers........Actually a little surprised

Main Street Republicans are still conservative on most issues, but less so. They are less enamored of business than staunch conservatives and more supportive of government efforts to protect the environment. They also prefer a less aggressive foreign policy. Smarter than most liberals except Jimmy Carter :finger: (11%)

Archived