Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What political type are you? (w/ quiz) WaPo Blog/Pew Research Center

#98QBKiller

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/what-political-type-are-you/2011/05/05/AF7zFO0F_blog.html

With all of the discussion on partisan politics I thought this was interesting.

Quiz is here:

http://people-press.org/typology/quiz/?src=typology-report

According to the quiz I'm a Post Modern.

What political type are you?

By Rachel Weiner

A new Pew Research Center survey finds that voters are increasingly divided — and not just in the ways they used to be. A growing number of Americans does not identify with either political party, and those voters are not just “moderates” in the middle. They’re all over the map, sometimes holding stronger ideological positions than the people on either end of the spectrum.

So, Pew has come up with new political typologies for every type of voter, along with a quiz that matches you with your typology. Below are all the types, their defining features and the percent of adult Americans they represent.

* Staunch Conservatives take extremely conservative positions on nearly all issues. They are highly engaged in politics and highly religious. (9%)

* Main Street Republicans are still conservative on most issues, but less so. They are less enamored of business than staunch conservatives and more supportive of government efforts to protect the environment. They also prefer a less aggressive foreign policy. (11%)

* Libertarians are secular and liberal on social issues but very critical of government and very supportive of business. They are more moderate on immigration than other Republican-oriented groups. (9%)

* Disaffecteds are financially stressed, pessimistic, and politically cynical. They lean Republican but break from the party on government support for the poor. They distrust both government and business and are skeptical about immigrants. (11%)

* Post-Moderns are very liberal on social issues and more supportive of government than libertarians. They support environmental and business regulations. They are more accepting of homosexuality than most Democrats and support immigration rights. However, they are conservative on racial issues and the social safety net. (13 %)

* New Coalition Democrats are highly religious and financially stressed. They support government generally but are divided on the size of the social safety net. They are racially diverse and pro-immigration, bu they are conservative on social issues. (10%)

* Hard-Pressed Democrats are blue-collar, financially stressed, and cynical about government but even more cynical about business. They are socially conservative, anti-immigration and very religious. They support environmental protection in general but fear the economic impact of new regulations. (13%)

* Solid Liberals are politically engaged, strongly pro-government and socially liberal. They support an expanded social safety net and are pro-immigration. They are not very religious. (14%)

* Bystanders are people who are ineligible to vote or uninterested in voting. They are racially diverse and lean Democratic in their views (10%)

Take the quiz and then tell us in the comments where you landed (and whether you think it’s accurate).

Well, they say I'm "solid liberal".

"Strongly pro-government"? Hardly.

"Socially liberal"? Yeah, that probably fits rather well.

"Expanded social safety net"? I don't know about "expanded". "Better" would be nice, though.

"Pro immigration"? Make that "pro legal immigration".

I was kind of torn, on the immigration questions. The questions didn't say "illegal immigrants". But my gut says that illegals outnumber the legals by a big bunch. But I was reluctant to just assume that "immigrant" means "illegal immigrant", even though I suspect that they are very much the majority.

Solid liberal according to that.

I'm definitely a more moderate Democrat/liberal.

Can't figure out someone's "political type" from 20 questions.

Yah, it's kind of funny. Apparently, there is no room on the American Polical Spectrum for actual Leftists. Angry ultra conservatives are one end of the spectrum, all liberals are at the other, and John McCain is now considered "middle of the road." :whoknows:

Solid Liberal. Yeah, baby! I didn't expect anything else. 14% are us!

I thought the questions really got to the heart of the matter and were good questions in framing the issues before us today. They forgot about abortion though, or maybe that was on purpose. And they didn't ask if Obama was born in the US.

lol it must be broken

new coallition democrat

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 08:29 PM ----------

Well, they say I'm "solid liberal".

"Strongly pro-government"? Hardly.

"Socially liberal"? Yeah, that probably fits rather well.

"Expanded social safety net"? I don't know about "expanded". "Better" would be nice, though.

"Pro immigration"? Make that "pro legal immigration".

I was kind of torn, on the immigration questions. The questions didn't say "illegal immigrants". But my gut says that illegals outnumber the legals by a big bunch. But I was reluctant to just assume that "immigrant" means "illegal immigrant", even though I suspect that they are very much the majority.

it was a bit ambiguous, i had the same problem

there were too many questions I refused to answer because I didn't like the options and as a result it labeled me post-modern saying I strongly support regulation and environmental protection (which were two topics refused to answer any questions relating to because the options were too polarizing). Also couldn't answer a bunch of financial questions as I am as of right now not supporting myself.

Post Modern. lol

Here's what they characterized Post-Moderns as:

Generally supportive of government, though more conservative on race policies and the safety net YES

Strongly supportive of regulation and environmental protection YES

Most (56%) say Wall Street helps the economy more than it hurts - Don't know enough to form an opinion

Very liberal on social issues, including same-sex marriage YES

One of the least religious groups: nearly a third are unaffiliated with any religious tradition - Yup not religious at all

Favor the use of diplomacy rather than force - Questions related to this were extremely vague

Archived