Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing on Gabbert - Worth it? (merged)

Truant

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The Redskins still could have drafted Ryan Mallet because he was still available in the 2nd round. But Allen and Shanahan decided to select Jarvis Jenkins after drafting Ryan Kerrigan in the 1st round. Mallet was selected by New England five picks before the Redskins drafted Leonard Hankerson. So, they could have definitely drafted Mallet.

Right because Jarvis Jenkins looked terrible in preseason before he got hurt while it's totally clear Ryan Mallet is a can't miss QB prospect. Also having drafted one OLB it made zero sense to also draft a DE - I mean it's a different position and all but still!

Just in case it's not totally clear I am being VERY sarcastic.

Note: The author of this thread is not me, but burgundy burner who is a friend to both ES and BGO. I thought this might be a nice diversion from the topics we've been beating our head's over and besides, we need something to feel positive about.

------------------------------

This thread will be used to compare specific draft choices from 2011. The Redskins passed on a chance to take QB Blaine Gabbert. As a result, they were able to pick Ryan Kerrigan and add five additional players by continuously trading down with that one extra pick (49th in the 2nd round). It netted six players overall - five more from that 49th choice.

Redskins

Ryan Kerrigan

Leonard Hankerson

Roy Helu

Dejon Gomes

Aldrick Robinson

Maurice Hurt

Jaguars

Blaine Gabbert

Best draft the Skins have had since they drafted Arrington and Samuels. (Too bad Vinny screwed that up) Hoping the Allen / Shannahan team can get us another super draft like this past draft with the first pick being Matt Barkley. Looks like we will be sitting 4th or 5th in the draft with 3 of the 4 teams already having a QB from last years draft.

Yup -- In retrospect trading back was a great move and I loved it when the Skins did it. But I will admit there was a part of me that had that feeling of "did the Skins pass on a future franchise, stud QB?",...and I'm sure most on this board felt the same way whether or not they'd care to admit it or not.

The jury is out on Gabbert though, he's young and can still end up being a good QB -- it was a bad situation he was going into. They'll have a new coach next year and there's a good chance they go another direction QB-wise

I was not sold on Gabbert and was happy with acquiring the picks and the players that should be on the roster for the next 3 years. Now if we have similar results with trading down our second round pick that while addressing our offense that would be great.

The draft is looking better with each subsequent week too... at least the Gabbert selections are... who'd have thunk that Hurt would be stabalizing the line? Gomes doesn't seem like a weak link when he's inserted (by the way, I saw him get helped off the field last week. Anyone know how he's doing). Hankerson... well, hopefully he comes back full strength from his injury, but that was a heck of a nice debut. Kerrigan clearly was a good choice, a strong effort guy who even is pretty good in coverage.

Hindsight is 20/20 and no one knows who is going to be good or bad. The player could be the #1 overall pick in the draft and never amount to a hill of beans (Ryan Leaf) or get drafted in the 6th or 7th and become a Superstar player (Tom Brady). So no one really knows because sometimes the player you pick never gets beyond the college level of play and ends up on the street. Then you can have a guy like Walter Payton who was told he was too small to play in the NFL but became one of the greatest RB's of all time and held the NFL rushing record and is a Hall of Famer. So we did very good in last years draft and I think that Shanahan is getting too much credit for that draft when Bruce Allen is the GM and had some say in who was drafted. But the results are encouraging. At the end of next year will be the telling signs of either a resurrection or a new burial plot in the long list coaching ranks of the Washington Redskins.

After we draft RG3 we wont even be thinking about Gabbert :D
I hope youre right. The last time I was pumped up this much for a player was Sean Taylors draft...I wanted the skins to draft Taylor so bad and when they did I was super excited. If you remember we were also thinking about drafting Kellen Winslow.

Archived