Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing on Gabbert - Worth it? (merged)

Truant

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not a huge fan of orton as the QB. I don't understand why the skins keep on getting other players esp at the QB position. the last time the skins drafted and started a qb was campbell I guess, and ramsey.. but at the time the coaching staff was never consistent so I don't believe they got a fair shake. What I really mean is I'd love to see what this coaching staff can do with a rookie QB. Maybe we will see it our backup to Rexy sometime in the future.

As for the the topic, I of course voted for the 6 players. Gabbert may end up doing very well but remember the coaching staff must have felt that he was NOT a good fit for their offense. So that being the likely case I'm ok with not getting him, Mallett who I wanted, or anyone else.

but you can't win in the paloffs without a franchise qb, so if we have one then we're in the paloffs!

Unless it's the wrong QB that we only selected because we panicked. Then we would have just set our franchise back another few years. At least. I don't know, that's just imho.

P.S. Im assuming you're just joking by using the patented paloffs. :hysterical:

the upside may not be as high drafting a bunch of non-flashy guys, but the downside of swinging and missing drafting a QB high and not addressing the depth and especially 3-4 depth is more risky than the other way around.

Well done - agree completely!

If Shanny thinks there are other more important needs, so be it and that goes for Gabbert and anybody else we could have/ should have gotten in some peoples eyes. It took us a few years to get into this mess and it is going to take a few years to get us out. We can't fix it all in one draft, or one year for that matter.

For the ones who swear they know whats best for the team, please remember that your day job pays your bills. If you knew as much as you think you do, your name would appear on the list below:

Redskins Coaching Staff

Hail Skins

Oh gee...first off all, everyone said this year QB class is weak, average at best. They also predicted a lot of teams who need QB will REACH for one. Sure enough, teams did and we are not one of them. THANK GOD!!!! Shanny knows QB and if he passed up a "FRANCHISE" QB, then that should say a lot. I will take 6 players over 1 any day, especially for this team right now. We are not the Packers, Steelerss, or Patriots. We have HOLES every where. So instead of gambling on a QB, we got at least 2 starters - Hankerson(3rd round which we didnt have) and Helu(4th round which we didnt have). Shanny rarely trades up unless he REALLY impresses with that player. Then the we should take Malett cries. We were not the only team that passed on him. Why waste a pick on a QB that WE(Shanny and Bruce) don't want? Because YOU like him? BECAUSE we HAVE TO Draft a QB? That's so Vinny like. We don't have to draft a QB just for the sake of it if he doesn't fit in our system. We might have draft Ponder but not at 14. These QB at best late 1st round, 2nd or third. So what did we do? We fill other holes and didnt go after flashy players. Players that NFL and ESPN trumped for weeks leading into the draft. We draft blue collar players with great attitude. Kudos to Shanny and Bruce for steering this team back on track. A few more drafts and FA signing, we will be there.

This team has/had so many holes and so many issues with youth it was unbelievable. Taking a flyer on a 2nd-3rd round QB prospect in any normal NFL year in terms of free agency and QB's in the draft at 10th overall would have been a terrible error.

It of course is always going to come down to how these guys turn out.

I will say that if Hankerson and Kerrigan prove to be good multi-year starters with one of the other guys being solid depth while Gabbert becomes a top 10 QB then it'd likely be a wash. If Hankerson and Kerrigan don't pan out, or if Gabbert ends up being an All Pro then things change. If Helu, Hankerson, and Kerrigan all prove to be substantial starters than unless Gabbert is the next Manning or Brady then I think it'd definitely be worth it.

Ultimately I think Hankerson is going to be a good WR that's just outside Pro-bowl material in a few years, and Kerrigan is going to be a solid and continual starter who by himself is above average but whose presence allows Orakpo to become borderline all-pro rather than just pro-bowler. I think Gabbert is going to be a middling, above average QB. So add the fact Helu could prove to be extremely helpful for us, and those other 3 may have a shot at being good depth, I definitely think we came out better at first glance.

No QB drafted. I am glad they did NOT over-draft a QB like 4 other teams did out of desparation. Currently Shanahan likes John Beck (cough) but he followed that statement up with he has a plan for the QB position.

Possible QBs that are available (in no specific order):

1. Donovan McNabb (he is still under contract with the Redskins)

2. Vince Young

3. Carson Palmer

4. Jimmy Clausen (Cam Newton is their guy)

5. Kevin Kolb

6. Alex Smith

7. Kyle Orton

8. Who the heck knows, plenty of options wihtout over-drafting a rookie.

Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson 1 Super Bowl Championship - Matt Ryan 0

Matt Ryan is really good but I wouldn't call him a stud. Take away Michael Turner and replace him with Ryan Torain or Keiland Williams and you'll find out quick how studly dude is? Don't get me wrong I think Matt Ryan has game and I do think he has a chance to be an exceptional nfl QB but imo the jury is still out on him ever attaining legendary/hall of fame status. that's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 01:39 AM ----------

Call me insane but I seriously think the best FA option out there right now for us at QB is TJ. That's right I said it...Tavaris freakin Jackson. I know he failed miserably in Minnesota but he's had an opportunity to watch a HOF qb do his thing up close and personal for 2 years. Surely he learned something. I'm not saying he would be the second coming of Sonny for God's sake but why not give this kid a shot to complete with Beck and Grossman for the starting gig until a Franchise QB is uncovered in a draft yet to be determined, assuming McNabb is gone of course? The price will definitely be right. I don't see a bidding war in TJ's future. He would be no riskier than a late round drafted rookie QB.

I hope we don't sign a FA QB like Hasselbeck...what's the point? we aren't even close to being a playoff team yet. i say give beck a chance and keep building the team. with a top 10 pick next year, draft a stud qb...fill more holes with rounds 2-7, another year of smart FA signings and we could be good for the next 5-10 years. I am totally against bringing in an old stop gap QB

Mallett is garbage. At least for us. His immobility and the way he comes apart at the seams when things don't go his way are probably as much to blame for is slide as his off the field issues. I think the Pats probably took him thinking they could groom him some and then trade him to someone later on ala Matt Cassel.

I was in the bowl thread and going in I didn't think too highly of Mallett, and leaving it just confirmed what I already saw earlier in the year. He was crap under pressure and had lead feet. Not a good fit for our offense in the least.

Mallett is immobile but mobility is only one factor in what makes a good QB and possible the least important. If Mallett had no red flags and issues with character he would have been a top half of the first round pick IMO and I'm sure Shanny could have tweaked our offense to fit a guy who throws the ball as well as Mallett.

Water under the bridge though, we are where we are and we have to play the cards we have been dealt but it's going to be interesting to see how Gabbert does verus the guys we took in the top 4 rounds. I feel good about those picks personally and I think we made a great start in getting younger which is not before time.

I keep seeing this 6 players for 1 comment in various threads. I thought the skins had 8 picks going into the draft, and ended up drafting 12 players. So all the trades, starting with dropping down in the 1st round, netted us an additional 4 picks. Not trying to be nit picky or anything but I'm not understanding the logic completely.

Hail.

Call me insane but I seriously think the best FA option out there right now for us at QB is TJ. That's right I said it...Tavaris freakin Jackson...He would be no riskier than a late round drafted rookie QB.
People in forum will probably call you insane and tell you that Tavaris sucks.

But, if the FO is considering Matt Hasselbeck, Vince Young and John Beck its logical that would consider Jackson also.

For a journeyman QB Jackson has decent career stats and he did put that string of games together that got the Vikes into the playoffs a few years ago.

the upside may not be as high drafting a bunch of non-flashy guys, but the downside of swinging and missing drafting a QB high and not addressing the depth and especially 3-4 depth is more risky than the other way around.

I think that you put it pretty perfectly right there. :cheers:

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

You guys are funny now if shanny was to pass on Andrew Luck then he would be gettin bashed..

You're comparing apple juice with orange fluoride paste that my dentist used in 1990.

Archived