Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing on Gabbert - Worth it? (merged)

Truant

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

mallet isn't a qb shanny wanted, so what is the point in taking him? he's not an athletic DE converting to OLB, he's a statue of a quarterback who can't play with pressure up the middle and has character concerns.

what part of that is so hard to grasp. i don't think there is a worse fit for our system than mallett.

but like all the other idiots on here you just keep throwing it out there.

Thats what i always thought too and have no clue why people are so upset that we didn't take Mallet. Good riddens i would rather have the DE we drafted Jenkins and all the extra picks we got by trading down 6 spots and using that extra 2nd round pick to get a bunch of later picks too.

Fast and loose with insults there huh? Very mature.

If you had any clue what you were talkng about you would realize the offense we saw last year was far more Kyle's Houston version then Mike Shanahan's traditional Denver WCO.

You don't see Matt Schaub out there scrambling around in Houston right?

Open your eyes and look at the actual offense you see on the field, before you start showing too much of your own football ignorance.

I guess Bill Bellichick that terrible evaluator of talent made another poor decision picking Mallett huh?

i can be as immature as i want when every single draft thread in here has some version of "we didn't draft a QB, the draft was a failure"

let me tell you what "version" of offense we ran last year:

46 sacks allowed, 5th most in the NFL.

anyone who watched could tell you that inside pressure was a huge problem with Rabach.

and what does the mallett struggle with? pressure. especially up the middle because of his lack of athleticism.

and as for bill belichick picking him, he has a pretty good offensive line, quarterback, and receivers/tes. mallett will get 4 years until Brady's contract is up to sit on the pine and learn.

he would have to be a day 1 starter here or at least play this season. so adding into the lockout he would be that much more under prepared.

kyle and mike didn't like him, neither did 31 other teams, including buffalo, arizona, minnesota, san fransico, etc.

the patriots have the luxury of throwing away picks on guys that are projects, but last time i checked we aren't perennial super bowl contenders.

i would comment on your football intelligence, but i think you've said enough to prove how little you have.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 05:12 PM ----------

Could have taken Mallet in the 3rd. Drafting 3 receivers and no QB is terrible. Most of the players listed above are garbage.

i'm glad you can give an accurate assessment of college players before they have ever stepped on an NFL field. i would have like to seen your evaluation of other late rounders since apparently they don't count and you can only focus on the receivers we took at not the other players that we drafted.

Ok with passing on Gabbert, but Mallet may have been worth a shot late

he was picked in the third round before our pick. we would have had to take him in the second.

i don't think of the second round as "late" but maybe you have a little vinny in you.

Kudos because you're doing a great job of that.

Me? I like to talk football with mature poeple so I guess there's no need for any further discourse.

Cheers!

exactly, i gave you facts to show how off base your assessment was and you run away. have fun trying to push your flawed beliefs on weaker people.

i like to talk facts.

If you had any clue what you were talkng about you would realize the offense we saw last year was far more Kyle's Houston version then Mike Shanahan's traditional Denver WCO.

Open your eyes and look at the actual offense you see on the field, before you start showing too much of your own football ignorance.

I guess Bill Bellichick that terrible evaluator of talent made another poor decision picking Mallett huh?

Maybe you should watch the film a little more?

We did a TON of qb bootleg motion last year.

Belichick has a QB already and can afford to have Mallet just sit there and watch.

Being unsure about a wr/de/lb/cb/ol is completely different than being unsure about a QB. Only one QB plays, if its not the one for the present and future that is on the field, then you are wasting your time getting him.

Maybe you should watch the film a little more?

Belichick has a QB already and can afford to have Mallet just sit there and watch.

Being unsure about a wr/de/lb/cb/ol is completely different than being unsure about a QB. Only one QB plays, if its not the one for the present and future that is on the field, then you are wasting your time getting him.

shh, your sound logical argument has no place with him. if you don't agree he's taking his ball and going home.

those roll out throwback plays we ran every single game last year didn't even exist!

Do you have any idea what my OP was?

Or do you just blindly join a discussion with the sole intent of arguing?

It depends on what happens with our QB situation.

BTW-We did not run a 'ton' of bootlegs in comparison to a Mike Shanahan offense.

Second if Matt Schaub can execute Kyle's offense there is no reason Mallett can't.

The bootleg/swap keep was part of Arkansas offense too just look below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-U_2DSy1A

If you ever seen Mallett play you would now that was obvious.

Oh, btw:

Mallett has the “best NFL skill set” in the draft, with a physical presence in a muddied pocket.....Mallett re-set in the pocket and threw better than conventional wisdom suggests....based on watching 400 snaps that on a number of plays Mallet moved, re-set, and delivered the ball accurately

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

Posters like you and tiger are what's wrong w/ this forum anymore

snip

still don't want to address what i said, fine keep on running.

here's your guy under pressure:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=310040008&period=4

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 05:51 PM ----------

Posters like you and tiger are what's wrong w/ this forum anymore

and by that you mean posters that disagree with you. he said nothing inflammatory towards you, all he did was disagree and give a reason why.

you are just pathetic, take your worthless opinions and get out of the thread if you don't want people to give you sound arguments that you have no way to refute.

thats all fine and dandy, but shanahan wasn't sold on him, or else he would have drafted him and at this point, that is all the matters

The LAST thing I want, is for the Redskins to be pressured into another must start QB because of draft selection or investment

Seems to me that Gabbert's perceived flaws pre-draft were real. Somebody brought up the fact that his third down complettion precentage was 44 percent (if I remember correctly) that his play was considerably worse against better competition and that his pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired. Plus his overall production was just pedestrian. I absolutely think we did the right thing in passing up a QB this year. No need to risk a top pick on an iffy prospect. Next year could feature some of the best guys to come out since 2004. Luck, Landry Jones and Barkley are all guys that could be better than any guy in this year's class.

Love the fact that we got Kerrigan and were able to parlay that extra 2nd rounder into a few more selections. Hankerson was an absolute steal in the third thanks to that extra pick.

Seems to me that Gabbert's perceived flaws pre-draft were real. Somebody brought up the fact that his third down complettion precentage was 44 percent (if I remember correctly) that his play was considerably worse against better competition and that his pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired. Plus his overall production was just pedestrian. I absolutely think we did the right thing in passing up a QB this year. No need to risk a top pick on an iffy prospect. Next year could feature some of the best guys to come out since 2004. Luck, Landry Jones and Barkley are all guys that could be better than any guy in this year's class.

Love the fact that we got Kerrigan and were able to parlay that extra 2nd rounder into a few more selections. Hankerson was an absolute steal in the third thanks to that extra pick.

when i heard about blaine gabbert i remember looking up his stats and saying "how the hell is this guy a top prospect?"

16 tds 9 ints in his senior year, 6.71 yards per attempt and they weren't playing world beaters every week like an SEC team.

as for this thread, check out helu vs. gabbert the game last year they played each other. not that it matters, it's just funny.

18 of 42 for 199 1td and 1int vs. 28 carries for 307 and 3 tds

i don't know why i watched that game but i remember those 3 td runs by helu

Yes it was worth it. I'm not sure why everyone is building up Gabbert that much. Especially when we have so many other needs. Do we need a Franchise Quarterback? Yes. Did Shanahan see one in this draft that he thought would be worth a pick? Obviously not. Better to acquire more picks, shore up our other needs, and see what Grossman/Beck/incoming FA can do. You can't rebuild a team overnight.

Yes it was worth it. I'm not sure why everyone is building up Gabbert that much. Especially when we have so many other needs. Do we need a Franchise Quarterback? Yes. Did Shanahan see one in this draft that he thought would be worth a pick? Obviously not. Better to acquire more picks, shore up our other needs, and see what Grossman/Beck/incoming FA can do. You can't rebuild a team overnight.

but you can't win in the paloffs without a franchise qb, so if we have one then we're in the paloffs!

Yeah Tiger, I saw Helu's highlights. He was on fire. Gabbert was underwhelming in that game. I watched his game against Iowa and came away thinking I like the way he slings it, but there was really no feeling of yeah, he's gonna be good. I like to see good games by QB's in Bowl games. That's one of the reasons I liked Sanchez the year we were rumored to trade up for him. He played well against Penn State, who had a really good D that year. Sanchez isn't a world beater, but he makes some good throws at critical times.

I'm gonna keep an eye on Landry and Barkley next year assuming that we won't be in position to grab Luck.

Yeah Tiger, I saw Helu's highlights. He was on fire. Gabbert was underwhelming in that game. I watched his game against Iowa and came away thinking I like the way he slings it, but there was really no feeling of yeah, he's gonna be good. I like to see good games by QB's in Bowl games. That's one of the reasons I liked Sanchez the year we were rumored to trade up for him. He played well against Penn State, who had a really good D that year. Sanchez isn't a world beater, but he makes some good throws at critical times.

I'm gonna keep an eye on Landry and Barkley next year assuming that we won't be in position to grab Luck.

i'm with you on bowl games. no matter what level you play at it's basically your super bowl, so you better show up.

it's a big reason i didn't like mallett. i'm a big ohio state guy and i watched a guy just fold under pressure in that game. as soon as anyone got close to him you knew he wasn't going to do anything.

there was a thread on here during that game and a lot of people had a bad taste in their mouthes at the end of that one.

Bill Bellichick had nothing to loose - I think it is a poor pick - but if Billichick cuts him no one will remember Mallett in 12 months -

I'm more than okay with passing on Gabbert and picking up all those picks with that second rounder. What seems to be the word is that next years QB class is suppose to be much stronger than this year anyways.

Mallett is garbage. At least for us. His immobility and the way he comes apart at the seams when things don't go his way are probably as much to blame for is slide as his off the field issues. I think the Pats probably took him thinking they could groom him some and then trade him to someone later on ala Matt Cassel.

I was in the bowl thread and going in I didn't think too highly of Mallett, and leaving it just confirmed what I already saw earlier in the year. He was crap under pressure and had lead feet. Not a good fit for our offense in the least.

Archived