Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing on Gabbert - Worth it? (merged)

Truant

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Here's what we got for passing on Blaine Gabbert and dropping six spots in the draft.

Ryan Kerrigan

Leonard Hankerson

Roy Helu (this was a trade up, so not purely from the Gabbert trade)

Dejon Gomes

Aldrick Robinson

Maurice Hurt

The question in 3-5-7 years will be if we made the right move. But, for the fun of it, let's ask right now. :)

Would you rather have Gabbert or the players listed above?

I think the bottom line is that Shanahan didn't think that he could mold Gabbert into a franchise QB. People might be critical of Shanahan a few years down the line if Gabbert does well, but that still doesn't mean he'd fit with this team.

I rated Gabbert highly and would have taken him in a heartbeat personally, but if Shanny had doubts or we just did not rate him that highly we did the right thing in passing. You don't take a QB top ten unless you feel strongly he can be the guy for you. The 49ers who need a QB passed on Gabbert as well for the record.

It's going to interesting seeing how things play out over the next few years.

Titans did draft Locker over Gabbert as well.

6 players for one? Even if only 2 ends up behind starters and 1 or 2 solid contributors, I'd say would have been worth it. In the end, any QB you'll throw in the mix will benefits from the weapons he have around him.

I agree with passing on Gabbert because he didn't show me anything more than Chase Daniels did a few years back. The only sure fire guy in the draft was Newton and he may end up as another guy with no ring. Name the last QB that went #1 overall that won the Super Bowl?

I agree with passing on Gabbert because he didn't show me anything more than Chase Daniels did a few years back. The only sure fire guy in the draft was Newton and he may end up as another guy with no ring. Name the last QB that went #1 overall that won the Super Bowl?

peyton manning. eli manning ;)

Newton has great ability but he is far from a sure thing, if such a thing exists.

There is one Matt Ryan (jury still out)... one Matthew Stafford (relatively injury prone)... one Andrew Luck (didn't declare this year) in every draft. Normally the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rated/drafted QB has about a 50% shot at becoming a marginal NFL starter. Possessing the championship intangibles that Tom Brady, Big Ben and Peyton Manning all seem to have is a very very rare thing. Fans are so uninformed and therefore most of their conclusions are based more in what is normally an "amateur" opinion at best... moreso than expert analysis. With all that being said... its not really possible or realistic for the average football fan to know as much as a career NFL executive about the draft process. Now I'm no expert but I wouldn't have picked any QB in this draft at the 10th spot (including Cam Newton) if a team was offering a 2nd round pick in exchange for moving back 6 spots. The only way I would have nixed that deal is if Andrew Luck was on the board when the 10th pick came. None of the QB's in this draft were worth a mid round 1st & a mid round 2nd too. Simply put... there is no way I would trade two defensive starters for any of the quarterbacks that were available in the 2011 draft. The top 7 or 8 QB's in this draft may all end up being playoff caliber QB's in the NFL at some point in their careers but to me the only slam dunk college guy with bona fide championship pedigree this year was Andrew Luck...and he decided to wait a year. People need to get off this infatuation with drafting a QB just to draft a QB, regardless of their skills and accomplishments.

It's safe to say that Shanny didn't believe he was our guy and worth the 10th pick. And I can respect that. I'm glad that we didn't draft a guy that we didn't love simply because it was a position of need. I kind of get the feeling that that was our draft philosophy this year. And as frustrating as it might be to still have a glaring hole at QB, I think we drafted some guys with very few red flags and that they think can realistically succeed on this team.

From what I've read we were high on Ponder. And I don't think Shanny or anyone else in the football world could predict that the Vikings would take Ponder at 12. We may have been trading down to pick him instead of Kerrigan, But, who the heck knows?

Imo you don't pass on QB for value/trade down sake and you also don't pass on a value pick at QB like Mallett unless you already have a 'guy' in mind.

mallet isn't a qb shanny wanted, so what is the point in taking him? he's not an athletic DE converting to OLB, he's a statue of a quarterback who can't play with pressure up the middle and has character concerns.

what part of that is so hard to grasp. i don't think there is a worse fit for our system than mallett.

but like all the other idiots on here you just keep throwing it out there.

taking a qb that you don't feel strongly about is possibly THE WORST draft decision a team could make

Their draft position coupled with the amount of time the team will take evaluating him and starting him has the ability to set the franchise back a long time (where we are now)

Teams address the QB issue, label it as solved and try to work on it for 5 years, while never looking around to see if theres a better fit.

Doing what we did is what smart teams do. If you're not convinced about a guy, you do NOT take him. No matter what "needs" your team has. Ultimately, if you're looking at a guy to draft at a higher pick (1-3), you ask yourself: Is this guy better, or is going to develop and be better, than the people you have in place at that position?

The Shanahans did not feel that way about Gabbert, and did not take him for the simply the sake of taking a QB. Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, and Helu? Undoubtedly, yes they are upgrades. I'd rather have four sure fire upgrades, over one guy who MAY be an upgrade, even if that is at QB.

I do like we're building our team up, and seem to be setting a foundation for getting a top notch young QB. The Rams actually did that, and it translated into how well Bradford is playing now (along with him being the real deal).

Others are completely jaded (or will be proven correct in the future), and have no trust in the current regime.

I, however, still trust Shanahan. Especially when it comes to "his" QB. And Gabbert obviously wasn't it, even though I loved him, and just sat in my chair with my mouth open for ten minutes after seeing "Pick traded to Jacksonville Jaguars" on the screen.

But, that's enough for me. I voted accordingly.

i don't think there is a worse fit for our system than mallett.
Fast and loose with insults there huh? Very mature.

If you had any clue what you were talkng about you would realize the offense we saw last year was far more Kyle's Houston version then Mike Shanahan's traditional Denver WCO.

You don't see Matt Schaub out there scrambling around in Houston right?

Open your eyes and look at the actual offense you see on the field, before you start showing too much of your own football ignorance.

I guess Bill Bellichick that terrible evaluator of talent made another poor decision picking Mallett huh?

Others are completely jaded (or will be proven correct in the future), and have no trust in the current regime.

I, however, still trust Shanahan. Especially when it comes to "his" QB. And Gabbert obviously wasn't it, even though I loved him, and just sat in my chair with my mouth open for ten minutes after seeing "Pick traded to Jacksonville Jaguars" on the screen.

But, that's enough for me. I voted accordingly.

Good post. It's really not about us, is it? I would have liked Mallet, but it's hard to not appreciate what the FO did.

Here's something I haven't seen too much... we saved a boatload of cash. Most likely we'll have a rookie cap next year. We just traded out of a 10th overall QB contract. That will not be a cheap signing. Granted, we might have a CBA with a rookie cap for these picks, but as it stands right now we saved a ton of money.

Archived