Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing on Gabbert - Worth it? (merged)

Truant

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd take Tyler Gabbert over Blaine Gabbert any day of the week.

I hope you are joking. I assume you are joking...this could get me going on a huge rant. I know both of them...

---------- Post added December-6th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

It's a shame to see Blaine Gabbert do so poorly, but I'm not saying he will be a bust yet.

He's really only played 2 years of high school football and 2 years of college. He is a good kid, with a great work ethic. He does seem to get happy feet when he is pressured, but hopefully that is something he can work on.

Obviously the Jags have zero weapons outside of MJD. Maybe an offensive coordinator can come in and they can put him in a more suitable situation.

I assume there are plenty of stories where QBs have looked terrible their first year or two and turned it around to have a good career.

Best wishes to Blaine, I hate seeing so many people trash the guy after 7 starts...he should have never been a starting QB this year...probably a little too early for him.

I hope you are joking. I assume you are joking...this could get me going on a huge rant. I know both of them...

I was serious. I was emphasizing that I truly think Blaine Gabbert will be a bust and Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan did the right thing but trading back and taking Jacksonville's 16th pick and allowing the Jags to take Gabbert. And by the way, I believe that once Tyler gets to the pro level, he'll be okay.

I think Gabbert would be performing better here than in Jax, we have better pieces (ok, had, before Hightower and our O-line got injured, and Williams and Davis got suspended). He's shown flashes of capability, but he's having a hard time being consistent.

I do think we got much better value for the trades.

I also think that the top 3 this year are better than Gabbert, so if we get one of them I think we'll have made the right decisions.

I was serious. I was emphasizing that I truly think Blaine Gabbert will be a bust and Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan did the right thing but trading back and taking Jacksonville's 16th pick and allowing the Jags to take Gabbert. And by the way, I believe that once Tyler gets to the pro level, he'll be okay.

Have you followed Tyler at all? I don't want to slander the kid, but lets just say I don't even know if he is school right now. He didn't get the starting job at Mizzou so he transfered (I'm sure there were other reasons, too but it looked like James Franklin was going to win it). Last I heard he went to Louisville and then quit school there, too.

Tyler is maybe 6 foot and not half the physical specimen Blaine is. He may be a better passer, but I would have no clue since he never sniffed the field at Mizzou.

I don't really know them well (I know Blaine more) but just being around the two - Blaine is a great person, friendly, and has his head on his shoulders. Tyler - I'm not sure about...it might be unfair for me to judge but he seemed either shy or too stuck up to care about anybody around him.

Just my two cents.

I think if you look at Blaine, he's got everything you want in a quarterback prospect. But everyone that was anyone said that he was going to need to go to a team that was going to be patient and going to work with him to ensure he was successful. Dare I say, if he did come here, and Mike and Kyle really worked with him, he probably would be much better off. Mike wouldn't start the young guy before he was ready.

The Jags took the youngest, least experienced QB in the draft (maybe Cam had slightly less experience, but no one thought Cam would do what he's doing now) and shoved him to the wolves and basically wished him the best of luck in all his future endeavors. If I didn't know better, I'd think Jack Del Rio flat out sabotaged his team because he knew he was on his way out. It's the only way to explain what they did in free agency on offense. I know Garrard had back problems, but that's why you bring in Luke McCown; have Luke McCown start some games, like Garrard's back heal up, and then play him. With Peyton Manning out of the AFC South race, this was a perfect time for Jacksonville to make a run.

Blaine does shy away from contact, though. I've never seen a quarterback literally duck when the rush is coming like he does. I don't know if that's something you get away from, but he really needs a Jim Harbaugh kind of coach that's going to instill some confidence. There were times when he was doing what he was supposed to last night and his receiver completely runs the wrong route and he looked like he was going to lose his ****ing mind.

Have you followed Tyler at all? I don't want to slander the kid, but lets just say I don't even know if he is school right now. He didn't get the starting job at Mizzou so he transfered (I'm sure there were other reasons, too but it looked like James Franklin was going to win it). Last I heard he went to Louisville and then quit school there, too.

Tyler is maybe 6 foot and not half the physical specimen Blaine is. He may be a better passer, but I would have no clue since he never sniffed the field at Mizzou.

I don't really know them well (I know Blaine more) but just being around the two - Blaine is a great person, friendly, and has his head on his shoulders. Tyler - I'm not sure about...it might be unfair for me to judge but he seemed either shy or too stuck up to care about anybody around him.

Just my two cents.

I thought Tyler Gabbert is 6-2? But anyway, yes, I heard that he transferred to Louisville once he lost the starting job in Spring camp. Then I heard that T. Gabbert visited Wyoming, Central Florida, and then tried to go back to Missouri but they didn't want him. Then I heard that he's sitting out the 2011 year. I think he is in college, but I haven't heard anything truth telling about which university he's attending right now.

The reason I say he has a shot in the NFL is because as you mentioned, he's a very good passer, and two, he's as mobile, similar to how Joe Theismann was.

But Blaine Gabbert might succeed, but f Jacksonville doesn't get playmakers around him but his 3rd year in the NFL, Gabbert will be a bust if he's not traded. He might end up something similar to Jason Campbell.

I thought Tyler Gabbert is 6-2? But anyway, yes, I heard that he transferred to Louisville once he lost the starting job in Spring camp. Then I heard that T. Gabbert visited Wyoming, Central Florida, and then tried to go back to Missouri but they didn't want him. Then I heard that he's sitting out the 2011 year. I think he is in college, but I haven't heard anything truth telling about which university he's attending right now.

The reason I say he has a shot in the NFL is because as you mentioned, he's a very good passer, and two, he's as mobile, similar to how Joe Theismann was.

But Blaine Gabbert might succeed, but f Jacksonville doesn't get playmakers around him but his 3rd year in the NFL, Gabbert will be a bust if he's not traded. He might end up something similar to Jason Campbell.

He is listed at 6 foot. Side by side Blaine is a giant...from his build to his height...

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gabbert_tyler00.html

Gabbert is 6'6 right? Is it me or does he shy away from any sort of contact? I wouldn't call him a bust yet, but his 1st year is not looking good. Jags suck as a team, and with a young QB like him, you need more pieces around him.

as soon as there's pressure he stares it down and ducks his body, not to escape but to prevent getting plastered. he doesn't stand tall and he definitely won't take a shot to make a throw.

maybe he'll grow out of it, but right now the game and the players are too fast and too big for him.

he's playing scared and you can see it plain as day when you watch him.

Dude is looking bustable considering where he was picked. I would be surprised if they continue to support him unless he has a couple of break out games to end the year. It's not like they broke the house to sign him like in the old days. They will take a hit. But if you're the GM and you're already on the line for taking him and he's not showing what you though, you may have to cut your loses. Remember, the Jags were just sold. As a GM it's either you or Gabbert. And you picked Gabbert!

That's why they clearly take a look at Barkley and RG3. More RG3 for the buzz. Know one wants to hear that, but come April watch. The Jags are going to be an issue for us and RG3. Geez, even T. J. Yates looked better than him in one start.

Gabbert's struggles are common for rookie QBs in bad situations. Unfortunately for him, I doubt his situation will improve over time. An ownership change means he's going to probably see big changes from the FO down to the staff in the second and third years of his career most likely. His previous staff was dreadful though. Koetter is failing him and Del Rio was a lame duck heading into the season. Jacksonville's assistant coaches left en masse during the offseason, taking lateral jobs and going back down to the college level to get away. Del Rio had to block the lateral moves of two of his coaches because he couldn't fill their positions. It's a sinking ship and a terrible situation to step into.

What's worse is I don't see a good solution for them on the horizon. They can't stick with Mel Tucker and hope to develop Gabbert--that's a status quo move and Tucker has no HC experience at any level, much less experience developing a young QB from square one. Koetter has absolutely got to go given how plain his failure to get Gabbert comfortable has been. The new owner needs to clean house but he won't get the team until mid January and will have no time to conduct his coaching searches and he's going to have to lean on the old GM who was a significant part of the problem.

It makes you wonder why the Jaguars took a first round QB when the FO told Del Rio he had to make the playoffs to get his job and the owner was initiating plans to sell the franchise.

His organizagtion is failing to develop their QB, whereas ours failed to draft a QB to develop.

The end result will be the same for the both FOs unless Shanahan finds a good prospect this year. He'll be fired if we're in year four or five and we're still a sub .500 team either waiting on a QB to develop or waiting to draft a QB to develop.

---------- Post added December-6th-2011 at 06:54 PM ----------

Gabbert's situation is a bit like Tebow's was last season, except that Tebow didn't start many games his rookie year. Gabbert is going to need a new coach who will come in and be willing to do whatever it takes to get him comfortable like Fox eventually did with Tebow if he's going to find some consistency and some early success.

anyone who thinks we shouldn't have passed on gabbert is crazy. kerrigan alone is having a better season than gabbert in yeah 1, and in 3-5-7 years that same comparison may very well hold true. now taking into account helu, hankerson, gomes, robinson, and hurt. this past year, instead of trading away draft picks, etc, we flipped them and gained more, allowing us to build as a team. by passing on gabbert we began solidifying other positions of great need around the qb position. shanahan is trying to build young and what he did allows us to do just that. kerrigan, helu, and hankerson in particular have all had stand out games showing their great potential now and in the future. we aren't even mentioning jarvis jenkins either lol..qb is not a position u want to take a gamble on. we made more surefire picks, players that have great work ethic and have shown they can produce. Our first pick should land us a far better qb than gabbert, especially considering that we may be the second qb needy team to pick after the colts (assuming they pick luck). barkley, griffin, and jones all could be available for us when we pick, i'd take any of them over gabbert if i had the choice lol.

Gabbert is probably the worst QB in this entire draft. The guy just looks scared out there, not in control whatsoever. With Kerrigan, Helu, and Hankerson alone, we have some future studs in the making. Not to mention we'd be better off with RG III or Barkley in 2012.

I hope youre right. The last time I was pumped up this much for a player was Sean Taylors draft...I wanted the skins to draft Taylor so bad and when they did I was super excited. If you remember we were also thinking about drafting Kellen Winslow.

I was hoping that we would get him too. And I sure am glad we ended up with both him and Cooley instead of Winslow. If RG3 wins the Heisman (which he should) it may be hard for us to acquire him. I guess time will tell

Gabbert is probably the worst QB in this entire draft. The guy just looks scared out there, not in control whatsoever. With Kerrigan, Helu, and Hankerson alone, we have some future studs in the making. Not to mention we'd be better off with RG III or Barkley in 2012.

I was noticing your Redskins 2012 draft, I thought the Skins have two additional 5th round picks for the trade of Haynesworth and McNabb.

Gabbert sucks. I have not seen him make a single play this year. I don't blame him, I blame Del Rio. What kind of a knucklehead drafts a developmental QB and then cuts his vet days before the season opener? Gabbert should still be on the bench. This is exactly how you shell-shock a player and ruin their career. I am extremely worried they take RGIII or Barkley. I'm fine with whatever QB Shanny wants, I just hope he doesn't get taken before we pick and we settle for the next guy just because we have to. I hope to god that Jacksonville wins a few games.

I'm not going to hate on Gabbert, it's way to early to tell how he is going to be. But man I'm glad we passed on all of those QB's in the draft. Dalton was a diamond in the rough and is playing good. I'm glad we waited until this year, I want Mike to know exactly who his guy is going to be.

Gabbert's struggles are common for rookie QBs in bad situations. Unfortunately for him, I doubt his situation will improve over time. An ownership change means he's going to probably see big changes from the FO down to the staff in the second and third years of his career most likely. His previous staff was dreadful though. Koetter is failing him and Del Rio was a lame duck heading into the season. Jacksonville's assistant coaches left en masse during the offseason, taking lateral jobs and going back down to the college level to get away. Del Rio had to block the lateral moves of two of his coaches because he couldn't fill their positions. It's a sinking ship and a terrible situation to step into.

What's worse is I don't see a good solution for them on the horizon. They can't stick with Mel Tucker and hope to develop Gabbert--that's a status quo move and Tucker has no HC experience at any level, much less experience developing a young QB from square one. Koetter has absolutely got to go given how plain his failure to get Gabbert comfortable has been. The new owner needs to clean house but he won't get the team until mid January and will have no time to conduct his coaching searches and he's going to have to lean on the old GM who was a significant part of the problem.

It makes you wonder why the Jaguars took a first round QB when the FO told Del Rio he had to make the playoffs to get his job and the owner was initiating plans to sell the franchise.

His organizagtion is failing to develop their QB, whereas ours failed to draft a QB to develop.

The end result will be the same for the both FOs unless Shanahan finds a good prospect this year. He'll be fired if we're in year four or five and we're still a sub .500 team either waiting on a QB to develop or waiting to draft a QB to develop.

---------- Post added December-6th-2011 at 06:54 PM ----------

Gabbert's situation is a bit like Tebow's was last season, except that Tebow didn't start many games his rookie year. Gabbert is going to need a new coach who will come in and be willing to do whatever it takes to get him comfortable like Fox eventually did with Tebow if he's going to find some consistency and some early success.

I think they wasn't looking for success early on. I think they got Gabbert for 3 years from now. What he's 21 right now, think they just got their pup and hoping 3 years from now he will be good to go. What really messed them up was Garred got hurt. If that didn't happen we wouldn't have seen Gabbert this year. I can see them getting Orton next year and letting Gabb sit for a year.

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 07:17 AM ----------

I was noticing your Redskins 2012 draft, I thought the Skins have two additional 5th round picks for the trade of Haynesworth and McNabb.

We have an extra 6 this year and next year for McNabb and an extra 5 next year for Haynesworth.

The thing is, Gabbert wasn't knock your socks off impressive in college. He was good, but it's his workouts that got him the top 10 pick. He had the measureables and athleticism, but he didn't set the world on fire at Missouri. He probably should've stayed another year, from a football standpoint.

But for some reason, I thought his photographic memory would be great for a QB when it comes to learning an offense and gameplans. I see it's not all that big a deal. lol

And he needs to get himself an adult haircut.

I was hoping that we would get him too. And I sure am glad we ended up with both him and Cooley instead of Winslow. If RG3 wins the Heisman (which he should) it may be hard for us to acquire him. I guess time will tell
He should win the heisman I agree but I don't think he will for some reason.

The thing is, Gabbert wasn't knock your socks off impressive in college. He was good, but it's his workouts that got him the top 10 pick. He had the measureables and athleticism, but he didn't set the world on fire at Missouri. He probably should've stayed another year, from a football standpoint.

But for some reason, I thought his photographic memory would be great for a QB when it comes to learning an offense and gameplans. I see it's not all that big a deal. lol

Yeah he has basically only played two years of high school QB and two years of college QB. He is raw still.

Archived