Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passing on Gabbert - Worth it? (merged)

Truant

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah he has basically only played two years of high school QB and two years of college QB. He is raw still.

So then why was he a first round QB? In this day in age when rookie QBs come in and have success right away, why would you spend a first round pick on a guy that you know is at least 3 years away from being a capable starter?

So then why was he a first round QB? In this day in age when rookie QBs come in and have success right away, why would you spend a first round pick on a guy that you know is at least 3 years away from being a capable starter?
Skillset.

3 years away from being a capable starter? Who knows maybe he turns the corner before the season is over (doubtful) maybe next year maybe never.

But no team drafts a QB 'knowing' or thinking that QB is 3 years away from being a capable starter they draft a QB because of skillset and acknowledge that the QB may need to be developed.

i was against gabbert even if we didnt get all those extra players from tradedowns.. i thought that the media (and this board) was overhyping the guy bigtime and that his performance in college did not back it up. it seemed as if the media needed a guy to prop as the next franchise qb because locker was having a rough year and there were a lot of boom/bust qualities and a scandal surrounding newton. i also didnt like his hair.. so yeah, i was glad then and remained glad that we passed on gabbert.

i do think gabbert will eventually be labeled a bust, though the jags certainly arent making it easy for him to be successful.

He should win the heisman I agree but I don't think he will for some reason.

It is looking quite clear that RG3 is winning the Heisman based on this actual voting system projection that ESPN has but I am keeping an eye on this Archie Manning and Oliver Luck situation. Archie is at it again trying to manipulate the number one draft pick by stating that Peyton and Luck would have a problem being on the same team.

It is looking quite clear that RG3 is winning the Heisman based on this actual voting system projection that ESPN has but I am keeping an eye on this Archie Manning and Oliver Luck situation. Archie is at it again trying to manipulate the number one draft pick by stating that Peyton and Luck would have a problem being on the same team.

Actually, he just pulled his foot out of his mouth and recanted the statement, saying the opposite could be true if Luck went #1 to the Colts.

Actually, he just pulled his foot out of his mouth and recanted the statement, saying the opposite could be true if Luck went #1 to the Colts.

I hope Archie keeps talking maybe that would have the Colts take another player and move Luck down in the draft and that would put the Skins in a position to grab a RGIII

Mock if you guys want. I think the Skins should go after Clausen. Clausen is an extremely smart Qb. He has all the tools, he just lacks the development. Since Fox and company didn't want him to begin with, they didn't try to develop him. There's a big chance that the Panthers release him after this season, since he has been third string/inactive the entire season. So the Skins could get him for next to nothing. It's a very, very low risk to give him a shot.

Archie just saving face he let that cat out of the bag.

Yeah, I'm starting to agree with you. I have a feeling that Payton or someone was like "Dad! (Archie!), what the hell are you doing!"

I imagine it like this: "God damnit Archie!"

Blaine Gabbert doing poorly? Who could have predicted that? After reading the comprehensive Database last year you would think Blaine was the next Peyton Manning, I've never seen someone get so over-hyped.

I'll never forget the onslaught I faced for entering into that thread and saying "cam newton has a higher ceiling then Blaine Gabbert" by a few members posting in this exact thread.

So Connskins and SteveMcQueen, is it possible that Cam newton has a higher ceiling than Blaine Gabbert? Lol

One day you'll be right about something fellas.

Blaine Gabbert doing poorly? Who could have predicted that? After reading the comprehensive Database last year you would think Blaine was the next Peyton Manning, I've never seen someone get so over-hyped.

I'll never forget the onslaught I faced for entering into that thread and saying "cam newton has a higher ceiling then Blaine Gabbert" by a few members posting in this exact thread.

So Connskins and SteveMcQueen, is it possible that Cam newton has a higher ceiling than Blaine Gabbert? Lol

I really liked Gabbert pre draft as well - though I did point out in the write up I did in the 'Closer Look' thread on Gabbert that he saw pressure that was not there and got happy feet bailing the pocket early rather than standing in and working through progressions. He also did a lot of pick 'n' stick throws - but so do most College QBs.

To be fair though I don recall many, if any,people saying Gabbert had a higher ceiling than Newton. I think the consensus was Newton had the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft. The worry was he also had pretty low floor and many of us saw Gabbert as a safer pick. That sounds silly right now.

I also recall saying a few times that anyone picking Gabbert needed to sit him for at least a year as he was raw and that he needed to have talent around him. Jacksonville have provided a great case study in how not to develop and handle a young QB. Its too early to close the book on Gabbert - many QBs who went on to have great/good careers looked bad in their rookie years - however its fair to say he has looked pretty poor so far.

Mock if you guys want. I think the Skins should go after Clausen. Clausen is an extremely smart Qb. He has all the tools, he just lacks the development. Since Fox and company didn't want him to begin with, they didn't try to develop him. There's a big chance that the Panthers release him after this season, since he has been third string/inactive the entire season. So the Skins could get him for next to nothing. It's a very, very low risk to give him a shot.

I would take Cousins or Moore over Clausen. But, you're right, you could get him cheap right now.

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 06:33 PM ----------

So right. Good post. People get more enamored about physical gifts and not about the real nuances of playing the position of quarterback effectively.

I hope Archie keeps talking maybe that would have the Colts take another player and move Luck down in the draft and that would put the Skins in a position to grab a RGIII

Yep! If Manning is fully healthy and the Colts decide to keep him, then they are still going to have to play up the possibility of drafting Luck. I don't think many will buy it, but Archie's comment doesn't help matters.

He should win the heisman I agree but I don't think he will for some reason.

For whatever reason I dont think that he will get it either. He has thrown for over 900 more yards than Luck this season on only 4 more attempts. Baylor is 9-3... BAYLOR

For whatever reason I dont think that he will get it either. He has thrown for over 900 more yards than Luck this season on only 4 more attempts. Baylor is 9-3... BAYLOR

Isn't it good for us if RGIII wins it? I think he would be more inclined to declare if he does.

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 08:25 AM ----------

I like the idea of this. We pick him up and let him develop like he needed and have him compete for 2nd or 3rd string. Nothing to lose here and the guy is smart. I was a fan of his when he came out, but he was put in a lose/lose position. I also wouldn't mind taking Cousins or Moore but this way we save the pick and he has NFL experience. Even if that experience is getting creamed every week, but hey, he has more wins than John Beck.

The Gabbert hype came out of left field. One day, no one knows who the heck this kid is. Then Luck says he's going back to college for another year, and all of a sudden one or two draft gurus start relentlessly hyping him up.

I thought I was going crazy because I didn't understand where it all was coming from. I went back, looked at his college stats, watched replays of his games.. it still left me scratching my head thinking "How the heck is this guy a better prospect than Newton, or any of the other rookie qbs?"

The Gabbert hype came out of left field. One day, no one knows who the heck this kid is. Then Luck says he's going back to college for another year, and all of a sudden one or two draft gurus start relentlessly hyping him up.

I thought I was going crazy because I didn't understand where it all was coming from. I went back, looked at his college stats, watched replays of his games.. it still left me scratching my head thinking "How the heck is this guy a better prospect than Newton, or any of the other rookie qbs?"

I was wondering about that too. I remember looking at his stats and even his highlights and not being that impressed with him.

Archived