Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

Trading up for Gabbert is nuts.

Yes, nuts. trading down is what really needs to be done, gabbert has almost just as good (or bad) of a chance of being a real franchise quarterback as Locker, Ponder, or Kaepernick do. IMO...

The goal of playing in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. In the modern-day NFL, you're not going to do so without a top-echelon QB.

If Mike / Kyle believe there are only a couple guys in this draft that can get us there, they don't believe they can get them where we are, and they think they're within reach ... I say go get 'em. I'm not a pro scout, but I know you need a QB to win.

It would suck losing future picks, but it sucks worse not having a QB for years and being continuously mediocre. I trust the Shanahans opinions on QBs.

Sigh.....

There is likely no franchise QB in this draft. If this move happens, it screams desperation.

And if it does, I will once again wonder when we'll have a front office that "gets it". I'm tired of being jealous of teams like Pittsburgh, New England, etc who know how to work the draft. I want to be one of those envied teams.

There is something fishy about this . Firstly who would the Broncos be looking at potentially at No10 - there is talent there but it thins out right about 8 top top tier players . 9-15 are the next level and this brings me to point no.2 .

Isn't 2011 1st(10), 2012 1 and 3 a little low to swing a trade into the top 3 ? When we traded up for Samuels didn't we trade 12, 24th and a couple of mid round picks. The 2012 1st and 3rd are 2011 2nd and 4th equivilent and with this labor situation 2012 picks are very dubious .

A better deal for the Broncos would either be the 2 firsts + a little more from the Pats or a trade with the Cards something along the lines of thier 1st No 5 and a 2nd for No.2. overall , maybe with some later picks thrown in. I doubt the Cards make the move for Gabbert but they could move up to make sure they get their pick of Peterson or Miller (who has had a meteroic rise in draft stock).

Point is there are an awful lot of teams who have so much more to offer than us to get that No2 pick and I have the feeling this rumor is to set a floor for other negociations .

Yes, nuts. trading down is what really needs to be done, gabbert has almost just as good (or bad) of a chance of being a real franchise quarterback as Locker, Ponder, or Kaepernick do. IMO...

I do think Gabbert is the best QB in this draft, but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot IMHO. I'm in line with Scruffy's post - this is not Bradford. I think it was evident Sam is and was a special QB with deadly accuracy. Sam was worth trading last years entire draft for and even dipping into this years draft I think. If we want Gabbert, trading up to #2 is likely necessary unfortunately.

Trading up for Bradford? I could've understood that. Heck, I could've seen trading up for Sanchez 2 years ago. But, trading up for Sunshine Gabbert???? He's a long way from being ready for the NFL, if that ever actually happens. Spread offense QB and he's apparently not comfortable under center.

I guess no one in the Skins front office has seen the ESPN commercial for the draft that shows all the picks the Packers made that got them to last year's Super Bowl.

Hopefully, someone will save us from ourselves yet again.

hopefully Shanny and his old bosses in Denver are kind of helping each other out with a smokescreen. Denver is seeing if anybody else is willing to trade up now that there is a dollar in the tip jar. The Skins hopefully are playing a little misdirection with everybody else. Even though until now I didn't realize that both McNabb and Haynesworth would fit in Denver.

Did anyone watch the Parcels draft show last night? Even he said there are no franchise QB's this year. I will take his word over anyone elses. There may be a few good ones however none worth trading away a top 10 pick for. Which next years pick will be a top 10.

Yeah and he thought the same about Matt Ryan too thats why he took Jake Long.

For what it's worth, many "experts" are saying that this is a mediocre draft as far as QB talent goes and there are several players with great potential but no locks for a franchise QB. If the front office is determined to trade the farm to move up, then I'd say trade down this year to acquire more picks and then move up to #1 next year to get Andrew Luck. I'm not saying that I'm in favor of mortgaging the future for one guy, but if they're hell bent on doing it then wait a year and make it happen for someone that is more likely going to produce dividends and be a stronger prospect to be a franschise QB.

I really pray this isn't true. LL said earlier that if he's a franchise QB "a few picks" is no big deal. I understand that sentiment and we are starved for a QB but I have to ask why we have to be the team that trades away future FIRST ROUND draft picks to get a QB when we are already horribly depleted. Its not just a "few picks" its a future starter and with our likely record this season it is a top 10 pick.

A top 10 pick is not something you throw away lightly even for a QB you really like. That is a serious player. Even we don't generally screw up that pick. We could get a franchise player at any position with that pick next year. A YOUNG franchise player. Bradford, Stafford, Freeman, etc, these teams didn't have to give away TWO first round picks (geez and a third too!) to get their franchise QB? Why the hell should we? If anything our lack of picks makes it MORE damaging to do so. Not less.

Blaine Gabbert better be a perrenial pro bowler to make this move. Seriously. He can't just be a good "solid" qb as I've seen many in here post. You don't make a trade like this for a "solid" QB. You make this trade for a superstar QB and nothing else. If Shanny thinks this guy is a SUPERSTAR QB, and he ends up being right, then I know why I am not employed in the NFL because I don't see that from gabbert at all. Certainly, not on this team who has no receivers, no lineman other than Trent, and the absolutely dead last ranked defense to support him. The funny thing is if we make this deal, the great likelihood is we will actually finish with like 2 wins and we WILL be in a position to get Andrew Luck next year.

I'll gladly eat my words but I am willing to say right here, if we make this move, Denver gets Andrew Luck with our pick next year or our pick is very much in play (ie trade etc) for Andrew Luck. I can totally see all the Peter Kings and Florio's and Chad and Dukes types constantly pointing out how Mike traded away Andrew Luck for Blaine Gabbert etc etc.

Mark it down. This is an awful idea.

Yeah and he thought the same about Matt Ryan too thats why he took Jake Long.

Yes, you're right. He also said that over 60% if QB's taken in the 1st are busts. Thats not a risk i would want to take by giving up a 1st and 3rd to pick a QB from a spread O.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 08:49 AM ----------

I'll gladly eat my words but I am willing to say right here, if we make this move, Denver gets Andrew Luck with our pick next year or our pick is very much in play (ie trade etc) for Andrew Luck. I can totally see all the Peter Kings and Florio's and Chad and Dukes types constantly pointing out how Mike traded away Andrew Luck for Blaine Gabbert etc etc.

Totally agree. And what i think is going to be the worst part about this is IF he ends up being a bust Shanny will be gone. He will be fired/quit and we will be stuck in the same position we are now

Every year we don't draft the QB of the future we waste a year of Williams, Orakpo, and Landry's prime. You need a franchise QB to win in the NFL- period. We can't wait for next year banking on a fluke like that to occur

I'm beginning to agree with this line of thinking. Not necessarily that we have to rush to fit guys into other guys' primes, but more that it's about getting a talented QB and developing him into a winner rather than there only being one or two potential franchise QBs.

There's a reason we've seen franchise QBs drafted anywhere from #1 overall to the 6th round. It's not always just about a guy who's going to be ready "out of the box" to win. It's about getting one of a handful of potentially great QBs and molding them into the guy you want within your system. If this FO believes that Gabbert is one of those guys, get him now and start working with him now.

I don't know about you guys, but a season with a young, potential franchise QB (even if it's a 4-win season) is more exciting than the status quo. And yes, I WAS excited about the last half of 2006 and 2007 with Campbell. It didn't pan out, but it was a much more exciting time than the first half of 2006 under Brunell.

If we were to move up that far, I'd take Patrick Peterson or AJ Green over any 2nd string QB. Cuz lets face it. Picking a QB in this years class is like throwing darts, and it's more so this year then ever before. None of them are true sure fire first round picks worthy of the selection, and there might be a Tom Brady to come out of this years draft (meaning somebody under the rader who gets picked late and gets and opportunity and makes good on it)... matter of fact I'd say there's more likely to be a good starter picked late in this years QB class than there is one that's picked in the first round with high expectations.

Let's be real... the only QB that was worth trading up like this for was Sam Bradford and we couldn't do it. Bradford is a once in a generation QB. This years class is a bad QB class. Next years will be better.

I say upgrade elsewhere where their is more sure success players to be picked. (IE Patrick Peterson). The whole offense needs help. A rookie QB with backup talent isn't going to help anything. Upgrade the Oline and get some recievers and RBs first. Once the QB can be protected, then get a good one in future drafts. And one that is better than any of this years prospects. I'm looking at Andrew Luck!

I really pray this isn't true. LL said earlier that if he's a franchise QB "a few picks" is no big deal. I understand that sentiment and we are starved for a QB but I have to ask why we have to be the team that trades away future FIRST ROUND draft picks to get a QB when we are already horribly depleted. Its not just a "few picks" its a future starter and with our likely record this season it is a top 10 pick.

A top 10 pick is not something you throw away lightly even for a QB you really like. That is a serious player. Even we don't generally screw up that pick. We could get a franchise player at any position with that pick next year. A YOUNG franchise player. Bradford, Stafford, Freeman, etc, these teams didn't have to give away TWO first round picks (geez and a third too!) to get their franchise QB? Why the hell should we? If anything our lack of picks makes it MORE damaging to do so. Not less.

After the McNabb drill, Shanny's job I'd gather and rep is big time on the line with a transaction like this. Thus, I gather he would have to be very confident in this. My take is this team isn't another Rocky McIntosh, Larony Landry and Kevin Barnes from becoming an elite team again. (and i am going with pure hit draft picks and ignoring the possibility of blowing one like a Chad Rinehart or having a more mediocre pick like C. Rogers)) versus what a Phillip Rivers would bring. It takes generally at least 2 years for a Qb to find their stride so waiting to find your franchise QB slows down rebuilding. Am I glad the skins didn't end up trading up for Bradford and Sanchez. Heck no. and yeah plenty of teams trade up for QB's -- including Shanny with Cutler, the NY Giants with Eli, the Jets with Sanchez.

The Redskins have tried everything through our two decade drought but an elite Qb and passing game. In stretches we have had good o lines, we've had good running games, we've had good defenses. Sometimes all three at once. the only year where we had a good passing game arguably was with Brad Johnson, and that arguably was the season where we looked at our best. There aren't too many teams with franchise QBs that stink.

If they did make the Gabbert/Luck connection it will unlikely make much sense unless the Skins indeed become the worst team in the NFL next year. Otherwise it would imply if the Redskins didn't give away a first rounder they'd have TWO first rounders that year which they could have used to trade up -- and no if we don't make this trade we aren't ending up with two first rounders. And yeah I don't get all the people saying we will get Luck if we put together the right trade package. If Luck is really the real deal, the next Peyton Manning, etc -- why would the team that could land him deal him, they'd be explaining that to their fan base for years. Don't get me wrong anything is possible. But IMO banking on Luck is banking on a long shot trade.

Yes, you're right. He also said that over 60% if QB's taken in the 1st are busts. Thats not a risk i would want to take by giving up a 1st and 3rd to pick a QB from a spread O.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 08:49 AM ----------

Totally agree. And what i think is going to be the worst part about this is IF he ends up being a bust Shanny will be gone. He will be fired/quit and we will be stuck in the same position we are now

This might change your mind on Spread Offense QB's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6355471

I'd rather not move up to #2 to get Gabbert, especially because talk of late is that he seems to be slipping down draft boards. I'd be happy with him at #10. I'd rather us acquire picks, rather than trading them away. We have some many holes and so little picks. But if Kyle and Mike believe he can be our franchise QB, then I say go for it.

If we were to move up that far, I'd take Patrick Peterson or AJ Green over any 2nd string QB. Cuz lets face it. Picking a QB in this years class is like throwing darts, and it's more so this year then ever before. None of them are true sure fire first round picks worthy of the selection, and there might be a Tom Brady to come out of this years draft (meaning somebody under the rader who gets picked late and gets and opportunity and makes good on it)... matter of fact I'd say there's more likely to be a good starter picked late in this years QB class than there is one that's picked in the first round with high expectations.

If Shanny takes him he clearly disagrees with your take on Gabbert. You got me if Gabbert is a franchise Qb. Some draft geeks think he is, some don't. The question IMO becomes do we trust Shanny's ability to decipher whether Gabbert is the real deal. IMO the ones that question this for the most part don't trust Shanny's acumen, the ones who do like it if it happens do trust it. Because yeah if Gabbert is the real deal, who will be crying over this two years from now? Yeah we got a franchise QB but gosh we could have had JJ Watt and Justin Houston? I doubt we'd be saying that. but yeah if he's a bust or mediocre, we will hate the deal. I'll go for the ride one way or another.

Archived