Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

You guys might as well give up this Andrew Luck pipe dream...

I really don't think we'll be the first pick in the draft and whoever has that pick is going to take him and won't trade it away. I really doubt someone with a top tier franchise QB is going to come in dead last and have a reason let the Andrew Luck pick go.

I would **** a brick if we did this. I think I would actually vomit in disgust. I really think we have a chance at the number one pick next year and grab Luck. Just grab the people with the highest ceilings this year.

What sort of scenario would end us up with the #1 overall pick? Seriously. If everyone on the team gets injured? Honestly, what is a realistic case that can be made for us going 1-15?

I would **** a brick if we did this. I think I would actually vomit in disgust. I really think we have a chance at the number one pick next year and grab Luck. Just grab the people with the highest ceilings this year.

we went 6-10 with a tough schedule, next years schedule looks easier -- how are we getting Luck, we are going to nosedive unexpectedly or some team is going to trade away what the draft geeks think is the next Peyton Manning? Only shot I see is lets say Carloina drafts Newton he's a hit and they got the #1 pick again.

Not gonna happen. Because it's nuts.

Think about how many needs we have. Compare us to the rest of the division. If we trade the farm for Gabbert we will have to play him at some point, probably behind a suspect line, along with the worst defense in the division. That's a recipe for 4-12. And our top five pick will belong to the Broncos, who will take Luck.

how many games did peyton manning win in his first season in 1998 or did Troy Aikman win in 1989....aikman beat us on thanksgiving day and that was it....both are hall of famers....but will you be happy with another decade of winning between 7-9 games like we have done in the last 2 decades ex a season in 1999?

This makes sense on the face of it, but I believe it was jsteelz who said that both Mike and Kyle were very high on Gabbert and LL56 had said before that apparently Mike was the one who was high on Locker, but Kyle was somewhat iffy on him.

I'm just trying to connect the dots. And I don't think what you said is any different than what I'm saying. Mike is high on both, so to him, why trade the farm for Gabbert if he likes them both. Kyle is the one that apparently likes Gabbert but not so much Locker. It's Kyle's offense not Mike's, that much is clear. Schaub is a very different QB than Cutler.

If the Shannys like Gabbert I'd be all about getting him... at #10. If they traded up to 6 or 7 to jump ahead of the 49ers or Titans to grab him, that'd even be way more stomach-able than trading the farm to move to #2.

I wonder what would happen if we already had this deal in place with the Broncos (in principle) on draft day and then the Panthers passed on Newton--which I think is a good bit more likely than all the experts are making it sound like...

Not gonna happen. Because it's nuts.

Think about how many needs we have. Compare us to the rest of the division. If we trade the farm for Gabbert we will have to play him at some point, probably behind a suspect line, along with the worst defense in the division.

Not necessarily true.

Eventually there will be free agency and I expect us to be very active.

I agree with you. But I think that Franchise QB is Luck. So this move would make more sense next year. This year? I'd rather see us stock up picks in the 2012 draft. Then break the bank for Luck.

It'd be the exact same scenario as last year. The Rams wanted and needed Bradford badly enough that no realistic offer would pry that pick away from them.

Even if we can't get Luck, there are some studs next year. Nick Foles is going to be an absolute stud. You heard it here.

nick-foles.jpg

Ok, but what if we don't have a top 5 pick? What if Shanny is aware of guys like Foles and likes Gabbert better? It does occur to me that if they do this Shanny is staking his rep big time on this. He did whiff on McNabb, if he whiffs on this one, he will look awful. I presume if he does that he really really likes Gabbert a lot. Shanny blew it with McNabb but he's gone against the grain and proven draft geeks wrong -- Cutler wasn't the top rated QB that year, Clady wasn't the top rated LT, Hillis was off the radar screen as a big time player, B. Marshall, C. Portis and the gazillion RBs he found lower in the draft.

Edit: I recall when there was a similar debate last year, some argued against Bradford saying wait till next year and get someone better like Locker and Ponder.

At least we're not trading up for a TE! QB is the most important position. Just remember Shanny traded up for Cutler.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

He's not going to fire his own son. I don't care what people say.

If he's gonna trade to the 2nd pick to get the QB his son wants he needs to fire him. I'd rather keep my picks and take Locker than trade up and give up all my picks

meanwhile our defense coaches are really good and are capable of finding the next sean taylor? i love how they jumped all over carriker who had one sack the entire season....took a top 10 defense and turned it into the 31 ranked defense.....and dont give me that arguement that we didnt have the pieces...why did we need to have a 3-4 to get a bunch of turnovers and then give up 600 yards a game...sounds like a winning formula....lets just load up where we have strenght in coaching.....ie shanahan....hazletts defenses have never ranked in the top 10 ever....even i can call 90m blitzes a game and come up with a few turnovers

I'm just trying to connect the dots. And I don't think what you said is any different than what I'm saying. Mike is high on both, so to him, why trade the farm for Gabbert if he likes them both. Kyle is the one that apparently likes Gabbert but not so much Locker. It's Kyle's offense not Mike's, that much is clear. Schaub is a very different QB than Cutler.

Maybe because they would rather have a QB they are both really high on than pick one that could possibly be divisive or they aren't both sold on (after the McNabb fiasco I'd think they would really prefer to be on the same page as OC and HC)? Or maybe they really just like Gabbert much more than Locker but would settle for Locker if they can't get Gabbert. Who knows. Just speculating.

I think eventual FA and trading would mean a less chance of trading up for any player. When FA does eventually hit, its going to be madness. If they've done their homework well beyond sportscenter highlight guys, they could have Redskins One scooping up a dozen lunchpale players that would cost the same as 2 or 3 top priced guys.

Nick Foles isn't all that imo. Everything he throws is within 10 yards. It may be his scheme but when he goes down the field he seems a lot less accurate. I need to see alot more from him because I saw some things from him in 2009.

This also describes Gabbert oddly enough

god if we do trade up to this then one it would suck because we still havent learned to keep our damn picks but, jesus please no, don't draft cam newton, please. If Newton is there then I pray that we don't draft him... huge mistake

If he's gonna trade to the 2nd pick to get the QB his son wants he needs to fire him. I'd rather keep my picks and take Locker than trade up and give up all my picks

Yeah but I doubt Kyle is even making this decision on his own in the first place. It will go through Shanny and Bruce, so they'd probably all be fired if this doesn't end well.

This also describes Gabbert oddly enough

Some critics have said that but when I tell u Foles doesn't theow past 10 yards I'm dead serious. When his team is down and he's forced to throw down field really bad things happen. Gabbert didn't throw deep that much this past year simply because he had no one to stretch the field. Plus he did throw alot of intermediate routes

Nick Foles isn't all that imo. Everything he throws is within 10 yards. It may be his scheme but when he goes down the field he seems a lot less accurate. I need to see alot more from him because I saw some things from him in 2009.

Trust me, you'll see a lot more. They run a spread and he has a very similar game to Bradford. Very accurate. Quick release.

My reason for bringing up Foles is throwing out a guy that will be available next year that isn't named Luck. I truly feel that next year will be a better QB class. Many experts are saying that this is a very difficult year for evaluating QBs. That's not just fans with a grass is greener approach.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 03:19 AM ----------

Some critics have said that but when I tell u Foles doesn't theow past 10 yards I'm dead serious. When his team is down and he's forced to throw down field really bad things happen. Gabbert didn't throw deep that much this past year simply because he had no one to stretch the field. Plus he did throw alot of intermediate routes

How much of Foles have you seen? I hate him because I went to ASU and I live in Tempe, AZ. Foles' complete body of work is impressive.

Watch at 3:49 of this link if you want to see some downfield accuracy. See the throw at 1:20 and tell me that it's not very impressive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ERCcaalEA&feature=fvsr

Whoops, I meant 3:50 in this clip.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmcKu5PVmw&feature=related

Still, the 1:20 from above is pretty impressive, although incomplete.

Trust me, you'll see a lot more. They run a spread and he has a very similar game to Bradford. Very accurate. Quick release.

My reason for bringing up Foles is throwing out a guy that will be available next year that isn't named Luck. I truly feel that next year will be a better QB class. Many experts are saying that this is a very difficult year for evaluating QBs. That's not just fans with a grass is greener approach.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 03:19 AM ----------

How much of Foles have you seen? I hate him because I went to ASU and I live in Tempe, AZ. Foles' complete body of work is impressive.

Watch at 3:49 of this link if you want to see some downfield accuracy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ERCcaalEA&feature=fvsr

Specifically I watched the game versus Iowa last year. He was great as was the team in the first half of the season. After he hurt his knee tho he wasn't the same guy. Terrible against Luck and Stanford. Ok in a big game vs Oregon and most of all Okie St murdered them in that bowl game. That game was painful to watch. He looked terrible when he was forced to throw the ball down the field. His arm strength looked real bad when he had to fit the ball into tight spots down field

Why not just tank this season. Get all the players you can with the picks you have. Next year get lucky with your 1st rounder. ;)

But then again we are talking about a FO who wanted to win so badly last year that they got McNabb. Oh well..whatcha' u gonna do?

Archived