Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

Blaine Gabbert better be a perrenial pro bowler to make this move. Seriously. He can't just be a good "solid" qb as I've seen many in here post. You don't make a trade like this for a "solid" QB. You make this trade for a superstar QB and nothing else.

I'd like you to quantify that, if you can. I think I disagree, but I want to be sure I know how you define "good" and "solid". Going from unsettled to having a 10- to 15-year starter at QB would be an exponential improvement for the Redskins. Think about it...every two years, we are steering in a different direction at QB. So I don't believe that Gabbert would have to be Manning or Brady for this to be the right move. If he can be our guy for the long-term and do a good job, we're immediately in a much better situation in that we'd have our guy at the most important position. I would take a Schaub, Rivers, Big Ben guy (second tier) in a heartbeat...to my knowledge, none of those guys are superstars.

Now if you are including any QB in the top 10-12 in that class...then I guess I agree with your post, just don't agree with how you're labeling them. There aren't 10-12 SUPERSTARS at any position in my opinion.

In short, any QB that can be our franchise leader for 10 years and be successful (even if he's never elite) would be a HUGE step in the right direction.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 09:08 AM ----------

Taking a QB in this draft, for the Skins, is dumb. Too many other holes. Plug in starters. If anything, trade up next year to get Luck, after you rebuild defense, OL.

That sounds great in theory, but the other team has to want to trade. Luck has so much hype that it appears it will be even tougher to wrangle away the first pick next year than it was to get Bradford from the Rams.

This is OLD news. He's reporting off of the same news that the reporter out of Houston reported off of. This was news about a month ago, so just because JLC got around to doing his job doesn't mean this is NEW news it just means he's a lazy POS.

Fine by me, it just makes it even more apparent that NO ONE in the league has any clue what the Skins will do in the draft. Also, I like JLC's "I think Gabbert will be there at 10".

Thank you draft guru, I'm sure you're an idiot. No way 49ers, Tennessee, Bengals, and Cardinals pass on him. One of those guys will pick the guy before #10.

Rotoworld -

The Cardinals reportedly want to trade back from No. 5 overall.

This come as no surprise since GM Rod Graves sent out the signals a week ago. All of the top Cardinals beat writers are convinced the team will not draft Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert. Graves is expected to field offers if Gabbert, Patrick Peterson, or A.J. Green fall to the fifth pick.

Rotoworld -

The Cardinals reportedly want to trade back from No. 5 overall.

This come as no surprise since GM Rod Graves sent out the signals a week ago. All of the top Cardinals beat writers are convinced the team will not draft Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert. Graves is expected to field offers if Gabbert, Patrick Peterson, or A.J. Green fall to the fifth pick.

Yet the same writer that reported (and that JLC is quoting) the Skins were trying to trade to #2 "like crazy" also said the Cardinals were in competition for the pick. So, like I said before, NO ONE has any ******* clue what's going on. It's 3 1 day before the draft, no one is sure what's going on.

Two things about Shanny's track record. 1. He has an excellent history of evaluating QBs. 2. He has a history of finding absolute studs in the late rounds.

So with him spending a top 2 pick for the first time EVER (also one that Kyle agrees on), I'm pretty comfortable with him trading up for his guy. He must be very confident in Gabbert. I'm also still comfortable with this draft because we have 6 picks in rounds 5-7. I'm positive we will get at least one stud late. If we come out of this draft with a stud QB, stud RB (Ryan Williams at 41), and another late round stud, the class will be a huge success. Those first two picks will change the trajectory of this organization.

As for next years picks, the Jason Campbell compensation softens the loss of the 3rd. And we probably would've had to give up a future 1st at some point to move up in whichever draft we were looking to get our franchise QB. And as the insiders have pointed out, there might not even be a draft next year.

The goal of playing in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. In the modern-day NFL, you're not going to do so without a top-echelon QB.

If Mike / Kyle believe there are only a couple guys in this draft that can get us there, they don't believe they can get them where we are, and they think they're within reach ... I say go get 'em. I'm not a pro scout, but I know you need a QB to win.

It would suck losing future picks, but it sucks worse not having a QB for years and being continuously mediocre. I trust the Shanahans opinions on QBs.

My sentiments exactly.

And we probably would've had to give up a future 1st at some point to move up in whichever draft we were looking to get our franchise QB. And as the insiders have pointed out, there might not even be a draft next year.

I would much rather use 2 number ones on Luck or Barkley, than Gabbert.

If we are going to go all in on a QB, shouldn't it at least be more of a polished prospect?

Yet the same writer that reported (and that JLC is quoting) the Skins were trying to trade to #2 "like crazy" also said the Cardinals were in competition for the pick. So, like I said before, NO ONE has any ******* clue what's going on. It's 3 1 day before the draft, no one is sure what's going on.

totally agree

Two things about Shanny's track record. 1. He has an excellent history of evaluating QBs. 2. He has a history of finding absolute studs in the late rounds.

So with him spending a top 2 pick for the first time EVER (also one that Kyle agrees on), I'm pretty comfortable with him trading up for his guy. He must be very confident in Gabbert. I'm also still comfortable with this draft because we have 6 picks in rounds 5-7. I'm positive we will get at least one stud late. If we come out of this draft with a stud QB, stud RB (Ryan Williams at 41), and another late round stud, the class will be a huge success. Those first two picks will change the trajectory of this organization.

As for next years picks, the Jason Campbell compensation softens the loss of the 3rd. And we probably would've had to give up a future 1st at some point to move up in whichever draft we were looking to get our franchise QB. And as the insiders have pointed out, there might not even be a draft next year.

I've been saying basically the same thing in the other thread gore. I'm a bit surprised so many people are so risk averse to acquiring a potential franchise QB. Sitting around waiting for one to fall into your laps on draft day is wishful thinking IMO. Maybe Gabbert falls, maybe he doesn't. Better to go and pay and make sure you get him because this is the QB position we're talking about.

Like you say, excellent OL FAs + a franchise QB + a probowl caliber HB in this year's class truly does change the trajectory of the organization. You're talking about a completely done over offense. A freaking good offense. The kind of top passing and rushing offense that can take you deep in the playoffs if you compliment it with an opportunistic defense that controls the LoS fairly well and shuts down the pass in stretches. You know how we can get that kind of defense? Draft or sign one impact defensive lineman. Maybe you sacrifice the Williams pick this year for such a player at 41 (Stephen Paea/Adrian Clayborn).

It's not like trading a 2012 first clamps the window shut and eliminates all of our avenues towards improvement.

We gave up 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for a 34 year old washed up QB and a 30 year old injured OT last year and people near universally appluaded the moves. That's a much worse price to pay because of their much lower potential for return IMO. Indeed, we got almost no return on those moves and we still improved. Shanahan weathered that, he can weather anything. Would people really be so opposed to a move that could bring us a true franchise QB?

You either trust Shanahan's ability to pick and develop a QB or you don't. I do, and I hope he does this.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 09:57 AM ----------

I would much rather use 2 number ones on Luck or Barkley, than Gabbert.

If we are going to go all in on a QB, shouldn't it at least be more of a polished prospect?

Let the Luck dream die. No team picking first is going to trade him because they're going to be a team needing a QB.

As for Barkley... not a huge fan and there is no guarantee either come out in 2012 anyway.

I'd rather not move up to #2 to get Gabbert, especially because talk of late is that he seems to be slipping down draft boards. I'd be happy with him at #10. I'd rather us acquire picks, rather than trading them away. We have some many holes and so little picks. But if Kyle and Mike believe he can be our franchise QB, then I say go for it.

Of course everyone would rather he slipped to ten. We'd be having our cake and eating it too.

But that's unlikely and banking on it happening isn't smart if you're in striking distance of him.

Mike Mayock said TN is Gabbert's floor at 8. Apparently he's the #1 player on their board.

o.k.. I've thought about it for a bit.

Mike and Kyle have good QB records... they have a lot of really good QB's in their wake and not many bad ones. Elway, Schaub, Cutler..

If they both agree and are both high on Gabbert.. I have to think the kids good. If he's that good.. then the picks are worth it. Build around him.

They would be putting their jobs on the line for the kid though.. if he turns out sucking.. that will be the end of their rein.

Archived