Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People say- "I am Christian"; so?

88Comrade2000

I'm gonna go ahead and bow straight out of this one, because I can't imagine good coming from this thread, especially this late after happy hour.

Typically it means someone wants to spend more time in the Word, stop being selfish, strive to be more like Christ.

I hate it when you call someone and they rudely say "hello" as though I want to be greeted. *******s!

What is worse is when they say "Have a nice day". Now that really puts pressure on me to have a nice day and usually ruins my day as a result.

Telling someone that I'm a Christian isn't about saying I'm better than someone else, I say it to help them understand more broadly who I am and where I'm coming from. If someone saying that they are a Christian makes you feel like they are saying they are better than you what might that be coming from in your own life? Feelings of inadequacy, unresolved guilt or something else maybe? I think it is interesting that the OP projected upon the Christian the idea of coming across as superior.

I noticed that phrase in conservations while eating out at the Waffle House. One waitress was taking about a coworker was basically a bad person because they did this or that, but she said "I'm a Christian" and wouldn't do such a thing.

Talking with someone about Obama, they first bring up, "I'm a Christian" then we talk about Obama.

I noticed that phrase in conservations while eating out at the Waffle House. One waitress was taking about a coworker was basically a bad person because they did this or that, but she said "I'm a Christian" and wouldn't do such a thing.

Talking with someone about Obama, they first bring up, "I'm a Christian" then we talk about Obama.

You're going to find people like that. But they're the minority.

Funny you should mention Waffle House. I was there this morning and the cook and waiter were talking about Matthew 6.

I suppose religion is a common topic at WH?

Prefacing something that is unchristian like with "I'm a Christian" is kind of funny. It's about the same as "I'm not a racist, but..."

If you need to point it out before or after you give your opinion as some means of trying to convince the person you're talking to that the bad thing you're about to say isn't bad, then you should probably rethink what you're about to say.

You're going to find people like that. But they're the minority.

Funny you should mention Waffle House. I was there this morning and the cook and waiter were talking about Matthew 6.

I suppose religion is a common topic at WH?

I guess so. I just notice people who seem to to wear their religion on their sleeve, whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc... aren't really what they say they are.

Being a non-Christian, maybe it's just coming off odd to me when people use that phrase in conversations.

When I've identified myself as a Christian here, it's usually been to explain why my perspective might be a little bit different. I've never, and will never, use it as a way to judge, belittle, or insult someone else. Besides, most Christian faiths are rooted in a sense that we need our Lord Jesus to forgive us for our sins. It's our view that He gave His life for us, because we're not good enough to "earn" heaven ourselves.

How the fact that I am fundamentally a deeply-flawed person could be used as an insult to you, I simply have no idea.

I think the OP is talking about people using at some form of credibility. "you're saying these bad things about me, but I'm a god-fearing Christian so I'm a good person."

And I would say that those are Christians who have a lot of growing to do. If, as a Christian, you believe you're "good enough" on your own, then you're probably not. But then, that's not my call.

I guess so. I just notice people who seem to to wear their religion on their sleeve, whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc... aren't really what they say they are.

Being a non-Christian, maybe it's just coming off odd to me when people use that phrase in conversations.

I think you've answered your own question good sir! :)

It happens to every faith, there are those who use it as a tool to make themselves sound better/superior than the next person, but as stated below, they are the minority. Thank God!

When I've identified myself as a Christian here, it's usually been to explain why my perspective might be a little bit different. I've never, and will never, use it as a way to judge, belittle, or insult someone else. Besides, most Christian faiths are rooted in a sense that we need our Lord Jesus to forgive us for our sins. It's our view that He gave His life for us, because we're not good enough to "earn" heaven ourselves.

How the fact that I am fundamentally a deeply-flawed person could be used as an insult to you, I simply have no idea.

That is one of the things many do not understand (did I just sound like a soccer snob? ;)), but that fault could possibly lie with us as well for not projecting that being a Christian means you admit to your flaws and accept Jesus as your Savior and He forgives them.

honestly, this may be the worst thread ever. HH has managed to bring some sense to it (among others).

lol, oh you owe me coffee and a napkin

And I would say that those are Christians who have a lot of growing to do. If, as a Christian, you believe you're "good enough" on your own, then you're probably not. But then, that's not my call.

Yes, this is exactly right, no one is perfect and if you find a Christian who believes they are and have no growing in Christ to do, they need to do some serious reflection on self.

Archived