Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

abcnews: Aidan Elliot, 8, pepper sprayed by Colorado police

Toe Jam

And somewhat OT, but who else would be utterly mortified to be in the news because this was their kid?

I think that says a lot, quite frankly, about the mindset we're dealing with here. "I'm a victim, my son is a victim, why do bad things always happen to us, etc." :jerk:

I think that says a lot, quite frankly, about the mindset we're dealing with here. "I'm a victim, my son is a victim, why do bad things always happen to us, etc." :jerk:

probably the same kind of parent who gets upset when their "little Angel" torments a fat kid until the kid snaps and takes action to defend himself.

For the other parents in here, would you rather have your son forcibly subdued by a cop, or pepper sprayed? Am I the only one who would much prefer pepper spray?

Having seen a cop forcibly subdue a belligerent senior citizen wielding a cane, I'd rather have said cop pepper spray my kid then put him in the hospital.

And somewhat OT, but who else would be utterly mortified to be in the news because this was their kid?

I absolutely agree.

It's not OT at all. Wrestling with what sort of information to share about my own kid is something do a lot on here. And this is some random, relatively anonymous messageboard. Whatever injustice that boy may or may not have suffered, the mom is ultimately revealing a lot of highly personal information about her son that he may not appreciate later in life. I can't imagine parading my kid around on TV like that. Not unless he was a lot older and understood and agreed with the purpose.

But maybe that's just me.

I'm worried about the fact that people think the reasonable solution to this type of situation is to call the cops and pepper spray a kid. Not that I feel sorry for the kid, but how could this have not been handled in a better manner? Are the teachers in this special ed class not trained to subdue children who have violent outbursts like this??? Because this isn't a rare occurence with certain types of special ed students...

I'm worried about the fact that people think the reasonable solution to this type of situation is to call the cops and pepper spray a kid. Not that I feel sorry for the kid, but how could this have not been handled in a better manner? Are the teachers in this special ed class not trained to subdue children who have violent outbursts like this??? Because this isn't a rare occurence with certain types of special ed students...

Get ready for the backlash.

Why do you hate our policemen? Why do you support the decline of our society from lack of spankings? Why do you take the side of mothers who sue everyone for no damn reason!!!!! :ols:

Get ready for the backlash

Like the honey badger...I just don't give a ****.

In all seriousness though, I support our police officers, I support teachers, and I support mothers trying to raise their children the best they can (although this mother sounds like an idiot to me, but that's besides the point). I also support spankings. I don't have kids, but I'm certainly not ruling out beating their little butts if I have to ijn the future.

That's not even the point I'm focusing on. Let's put all that superfluous crap aside and focus on the real issue: why is there NOT protocol already in place in a SPECIAL ED ENVIRONMENT to subdue a small child having a meltdown. This is not an unusual event with this type of demographic. There should be procedures in place, mutually agreed upon by the administration, teachers, parents, and adminstrative legal advisors as to exactly what should take place when a situation like this occurs...something besides grown adults barricading themselves away from a small child with a stick and calling the cops because they are afraid of the child (which is absurd) and/or afraid of a lawsuit.

That's not even the point I'm focusing on. Let's put all that superfluous crap aside and focus on the real issue: why is there NOT protocol already in place in a SPECIAL ED ENVIRONMENT to subdue a small child having a meltdown. This is not an unusual event with this type of demographic. There should be procedures in place, mutually agreed upon by the administration, teachers, parents, and adminstrative legal advisors as to exactly what should take place when a situation like this occurs...something besides grown adults barricading themselves away from a small child with a stick and calling the cops because they are afraid of the child (which is absurd) and/or afraid of a lawsuit.

I'm sure there is, Keestman, but those procedures go out the window when the child arms himself with a potentially lethal weapon and threatens repeatedly to use it.

Let's put all that superfluous crap aside and focus on the real issue: why is there NOT protocol already in place in a SPECIAL ED ENVIRONMENT to subdue a small child having a meltdown. This is not an unusual event with this type of demographic. There should be procedures in place, mutually agreed upon by the administration, teachers, parents, and adminstrative legal advisors as to exactly what should take place when a situation like this occurs...something besides grown adults barricading themselves away from a small child with a stick and calling the cops because they are afraid of the child (which is absurd) and/or afraid of a lawsuit.

Well said. Thank you!

I can understand this issue from a cop's point of view. You're called in knowing nothing about and having no history with this child. The problem is that cops were called in. The teachers and school should have been better prepared.

---------- Post added April-8th-2011 at 09:10 AM ----------

I'm sure there is, Keestman, but those procedures go out the window when the child arms himself with a potentially lethal weapon and threatens repeatedly to use it.

They should expand their procedures to include cases where kids pick up classroom items during a meltdown. You can't plan for everything, of course, but I think "child has a stick" shouldn't be a show-stopper. As has been mentioned numerous times, people at the school with experience dealing with special needs students are much more qualified to handle this situation. And, the risk of a small child injuring himself or someone else only increases the longer the meltdown is going on.

Get ready for the backlash.

Why do you hate our policemen? Why do you support the decline of our society from lack of spankings? Why do you take the side of mothers who sue everyone for no damn reason!!!!! :ols:

If that's what "glad the situation was resolved successfully, with no injury to anyone" means, then you're smack dab on the money.

Thanks.

It is ironic that Southpark is based on hellraising ankle biters from a little town in Colorado, keeastman country. :D

well to be honest, there is a lot of underlying intelligence in south park, like futurama, but to get it you have to take off your (not yours, but your in general) family guy, stare blankly at a tv and laugh, glasses

Again, the school called the cops twice before on this kid and the cops were able to calm him down without pepper spray. If cops, who are not specially trained to deal with kids like this, can talk him down why couldn't the teachers, who supposedly DO have training to deal with him?

It's not just this one incident. It sure looks like the school doesn't know how to handle this kid.

Katie is exactly right. You won't see something like this happen at a school with a decent special needs program. Cops shouldn't be called every time a kid has a meltdown, because meltdowns happen a LOT with some kids

---------- Post added April-8th-2011 at 02:10 PM ----------

That's hilarious, but completely ineffective. All you'll end up with are screaming kids. You beat 'em again and they scream louder. Rinse and repeat for ten minutes until they completely freak out and grab a sharp object ...

And because you don't know what you're doing some kid gets pepper sprayed.

I wonder if they tried calling the mom to ask her to come settle the kid down.

*soft sweet secretary voice*

"Mmmmhi, Mrs. Elliott? This is Sandy at the elementary school. Mmmyes, I was just calling to let you know that Aiden is throwing TVs and chairs, ripping wood off of the walls with his bare hands, and threatening to kill a bunch of mother ****ers? Mmmyes, do think you could come talk to him pretty please? Thanks. Mmmbuh bye."

*soft sweet secretary voice*

"Mmmmhi, Mrs. Elliott? This is Sandy at the elementary school. Mmmyes, I was just calling to let you know that Aiden is throwing TVs and chairs, ripping wood off of the walls with his bare hands, and threatening to kill a bunch of mother ****ers? Mmmyes, do think you could come talk to him pretty please? Thanks. Mmmbuh bye."

:ols: :ols:

Archived