Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

abcnews: Aidan Elliot, 8, pepper sprayed by Colorado police

Toe Jam

*soft sweet secretary voice*

"Mmmmhi, Mrs. Elliott? This is Sandy at the elementary school. Mmmyes, I was just calling to let you know that Aiden is throwing TVs and chairs, ripping wood off of the walls with his bare hands, and threatening to kill a bunch of mother ****ers? Mmmyes, do think you could come talk to him pretty please? Thanks. Mmmbuh bye."

You think you're joking.

"Mmmmhi, Mrs. Elliott? This is Sandy at the elementary school. Mmmyes, I was just calling to let you know that Aiden is throwing TVs and chairs, ripping wood off of the walls with his bare hands, and threatening to kill a bunch of mother ****ers? Mmmyes, do think you could come talk to him pretty please? Thanks. Mmmbuh bye."

Mrs. Elliott "don't your teachers carry pepper spray? If not, just tazer him. Calls him right down, before his Saturday morning cartoons.

Classic. This of course is a better option than pepper spraying him, no matter how long it takes her to get there.

:ols:

Classic. This of course is a better option than pepper spraying him, no matter how long it takes her to get there.

:ols:

Oh sure, because if the story was "8 students injured by flying TVs and chairs, 2 more stabbed with a shard of wood" the reaction here would be, "Well at least there was no police brutality!" :rolleyes::ols:

This one is simple. Situation diffused. No one injured. That is the best possible outcome for a police officer (and everyone else, for that matter) in ANY situation.

This is even more pathetic, lol

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/04/08/2011-04-08_caught_on_video_officer_pepper_sprays_baby_squi rrel_as_students_look_on_in_horro.html?r=news/national

Caught on video: Officer pepper sprays baby squirrel as students look on in horror

BY NINA MANDELL

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, April 8th 2011, 2:52 PM

Don't spray him bro!

A police officer in Texas made international headlines after he was caught on tape pepper spraying a baby squirrel.

A student at Kimbrough Middle School recorded the officer spraying the animal as voices in the background begged for the officer to stop.

"Nooo … I'm going to cry," one girl is heard saying.

"Don't spray him!" another adds as the hysterical voices grew.

The Mesquite Police Department said that the officer pepper-sprayed the creature because it had been chasing students around the school and he was worried it was rabid, CBS Dallas-Fort Worth reported.

Parents also claimed to the news station that the school's principal and the officer also kicked the animal.

"These adults should not get away with using Mace like that around all these kids for no reason," one upset parent told the television station.

The squirrel was later taken back to an animal shelter and released back into the wild, police said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDuAYH9SOSM

There's something wrong with these people.

Oh sure, because if the story was "8 students injured by flying TVs and chairs, 2 more stabbed with a shard of wood" the reaction here would be, "Well at least there was no police brutality!" :rolleyes::ols:

This one is simple. Situation diffused. No one injured. That is the best possible outcome for a police officer (and everyone else, for that matter) in ANY situation.

We understand that. The problem is people love to complicate things that really aren't that complicated. Their reaction is based on how the headline makes them "feel," what amounts to an "emotional" response. The mother's "whoa is me" attitude. All things remaining equal in this situation. The decision to pepper spray was sound even if it doesn't make us "feel" good to admit it.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's open season on 8 year olds, and every belligerent 8 year old can now be pepper sprayed without question. (I don't recall ever stating that, and I'm sure you didn't either) Fact is, there are some situations where a use of force against an 8 year old would be acceptable, though never desirable. This situation was one of them.

If I throw a TV at you, does my age matter when it splits your dome?
So you think an eight-year old can walk up to you, and split your head open with a TV set? :ols:

And just so I'm clear, I'm not saying the kid was handled too roughly. I'm saying that almost any adult could walk up to an eight-year old holding a short piece of wood, pull that "weapon" from the child's hands, and drag/carry that child to wherever he needed to go for punishment. I'm saying THAT'S what should have happened.

I hope this was a case of the school staff being scared of a lawsuit, if they used any force on the kid. But OMG, the child had those grown adults barricading themselves in an office? :doh:

We understand that. The problem is people love to complicate things that really aren't that complicated. Their reaction is based on how the headline makes them "feel," what amounts to an "emotional" response. The mother's "whoa is me" attitude. All things remaining equal in this situation. The decision to pepper spray was sound even if it doesn't make us "feel" good to admit it.

That doesn't make sense. Either people love to complicate things, or they react based solely on headlines. It's not both.

From where I'm sitting, there are a lot of people reading what the kid was doing, without any context, and then reacting with what makes them 'feel' good ... that the little **** deserved it, or he should have been tazed, or had a gun pointed at him. That all is well because he was incapacitated without getting the school sued.

This is my last post in this thread, because I am on the verge of taking this way too personally. The jokes about school calling parents and calmly explaining a meltdown to a parent ... you guys just pray you never get a call like that. Some of us actually do get calls JUST like that one, and it's not goddam funny. Be thankful most of you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's open season on 8 year olds, and every belligerent 8 year old can now be pepper sprayed without question. (I don't recall ever stating that, and I'm sure you didn't either) Fact is, there are some situations where a use of force against an 8 year old would be acceptable, though never desirable. This situation was one of them.

You don't know that. Trust me. You really don't.

I can tell you for 100% FACT that my response regarding the resolution of this situation was based NOTHING on how the headline made me "feel." Furthermore, the headline didn't make me feel anything, really. Eight year old is pepper sprayed...big whoop, I've heard of a lot worse.

Again, I'm more concerned about the protocol in place in this special ed class to address situations like this. It's clear this school has piss poor preventative protocol here.

Finally, can I just add here, for the record, that I'm personally not scared of an 8-year old boy with a pointy stick. Good Lordie. If he had a gun, yeah, I'd be barricading myself away from him. But a stick, even a pocket knife, I'm pretty confident in my ability to overpower an 8 year old and disarm him. I might get cut in the process, but there's no way a little kid could kill me with a stick.

With Henry's post in mind, this will also be my last post in this thread. I don't want things becoming personal, when that was not my intention. They always seem to in threads of this nature. I have no illusions about always being right, or having all the answers. However, this is a topic I will say with all humility, that I do know more about than the average person.

Again, in a perfect world an 8 year old should never have to be pepper sprayed. We don't live in that world, but hopefully one day our descendants will.

In closing, my last post was more of a general observation about the state of society at large, rather than directed at any one post here. Another way I could have explained what I was trying to say was that some people love to "complicate" issues, when sometimes they just are what they are. Others immediately indict based off an inflamatory headline and slanted reporting. Others immediately come to the defense of the cops, when well-intentioned scrutiny of the facts is called for. (Well-intentioned scrutiny is ALWAYS called for) I read the facts of the incident as reported, and in my professional and personal opinion find no wrong doing on the part of the police in this case.

People have passionate beliefs when it comes to topics like these, and each responds according to their own values and life experience. With that said.

:cheers:

Archived