Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

abcnews: Aidan Elliot, 8, pepper sprayed by Colorado police

Toe Jam

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aidan-elliot-pepper-sprayed-colorado-elementary-classroom-police/story?id=13307371&page=2

Elliot is filing a complaint against the police for pepper spraying her son.

"I think they should have approached him, tried to talk to him, even if it was from a distance. You talk to him and you find out what it is that's botherhing him as well. You don't just walk in, ask him to stop and then spray," Elliot said.

Police defended their decision.

"It was a situation that had to be diffused and it had to be done very quickly. No one went home injured that day," Davis said.

School officials told the Denver Post that they are seeing more elementary and pre-school students who are increasingly violent.

"As a district we've been very concerned about it," Polly Ortiz-Lutz, the school district's director of special education told the Denver Post.

School officials said that Aidan would be welcome back to the school if his behavior improves.

"That would be our hope and goal. I hope that he is getting the services he needs so that he is able to return," said Peg Kastberg from Jefferson County Public Schools.

Aidan's mother said that she's tried putting her son on medication to improve his behavior, but it didn't work.

Aidan said that he needs to work on cooling down his temper.

"I don't know how my future is going to be--rich, happy, good life road or bad, homeless, poor road," he said.

click link for more

TJ, why did you post the second page and not the beginning of the article? It's kind of an odd lead-in the way it is posted currently.

Anyway, reading the article, it sounds like they need to pepper-spray the mother out of her state of denial.

"even threatening teachers and students with a sharp piece of wood he held like a knife." "Lakewood Police Officer Steve Davis said that when they arrived on the scene Aidan told them, "I will kill you mother effers," Davis said."

and this is why he was pepper sprayed. Another option would have been to taze him. Another option would have been to point a gun at him. What was not an option was to allow him to continue to tear up the classroom, and hold everyone hostage until he decides to calm down. Pepper spray is non-lethal, with no lasting effects beyond how long it takes it to wear off. He has a better chance of being hurt from being spanked. Maybe he'll think twice now. I have no doubt that whatever the cops had decided to do other than let him calm down on his own would have been wrong in her (the mother's) eyes.

"even threatening teachers and students with a sharp piece of wood he held like a knife." "Lakewood Police Officer Steve Davis said that when they arrived on the scene Aidan told them, "I will kill you mother effers," Davis said."

and this is why he was pepper sprayed. Another option would have been to taze him. Another option would have been to point a gun at him. What was not an option was to allow him to continue to tear up the classroom, and hold everyone hostage until he decides to calm down. Pepper spray is non-lethal, with no lasting effects beyond how long it takes it to wear off. He has a better chance of being hurt from being spanked. Maybe he'll think twice now. I have no doubt that whatever the cops had decided to do other than let him calm down on his own would have been wrong in her (the mother's) eyes.

Dude. He's 8 ****ing years old. You can take him down without pepper spray even if he's holding a piece of wood.

Dude. He's 8 ****ing years old. You can take him down without pepper spray even if he's holding a piece of wood.

so you would rather the officers go hands on with the kid? then the mom would complain the officers were to rough with him. kid got what he deserved, end of story.

I've been pepper sprayed and maced several times and it isn't that bad.

The army/navy store in town started selling to me and all my friends when we were about 16 and we spent weeks spraying everything, including each other.

If this kid is talking about killing cops, he better toughen up a little.

Maybe he'll think twice about being a little turd next time when he remembers the face full of pepper spray?

If it was a special class for kids with behavioral problems, 'the little ****' didn't have it coming. That kid has something going on, and yes, a cop should be able to handle an 8-year-old with a piece of wood without having to pepper-spray him.

I don't expect that most of you have a ton of experience dealing with special needs kids. That's not an unusual meltdown. Teachers in a special ed class should be better prepared to deal with that sort of thing. Calling in the cops? You gotta be kidding me.

If it was a special class for kids with behavioral problems, 'the little ****' didn't have it coming. That kid has something going on, and yes, a cop should be able to handle an 8-year-old with a piece of wood without having to pepper-spray him.

I don't expect that most of you have a ton of experience dealing with special needs kids. That's not an unusual meltdown. Teachers in a special ed class should be better prepared to deal with that sort of thing. Calling in the cops? You gotta be kidding me.

I find it hilarious that the teachers barricaded themselves in a nearby classroom because a little 8 y/o had a piece of wood, seriously? Grab it out of his hand. It's not that hard. To be quite honest their motor skills still aren't up to par with an adults, so it should be quite literally, like taking wood from a baby.

EDIT: just to be clear, i still think the kid got what was coming to him, but come on teachers, what a bunch of pansies.

if he is a special needs kid, apparently whatever they have been doing hasnt been working...maybe next time he'll remember his face feeling like it was on fire and think twice. they cant make excuses for this kid. whats gonna happen when he is 17 and does the same thing?

if he is a special needs kid, apparently whatever they have been doing hasnt been working...maybe next time he'll remember his face feeling like it was on fire and think twice. they cant make excuses for this kid. whats gonna happen when he is 17 and does the same thing?

I'm curious, what is your experience with special needs kids?

Of course someone could take him down... The problem is there would be a lawsuit that would quickly follow. The mother's attitude towards the police and teachers provide enough evidence to support this. As a teacher, I wouldn't go anywhere near that kid... not only is he volatile and dangerous ... he is what teachers refer to as a career-ender. He and mom will lie through their teeth to place blame on anyone but themselves. If they made enough of a fuss... someone would eventually listen.

As for the child's violent outbursts... you need to remember, teachers are not allowed to hit back or even restrain a child in self defense (unless they are certified... even then at least 4-5 people need to be present). They are only allowed to place space/objects between themselves and the violent student.

I have a student in my class now that has a history of these types of outbursts... he stabbed a teacher several times with a pencil at his last school. When I asked the administration, "What do I do if he tries to stab me?".... "Try to grab the pencil...otherwise, consider yourself a pincushion." <---- While this was more in jest... according to protocol... that is technically the truth.

If my father read this, he'd definitely say something about how in his day, the teachers would have just beaten the kids ass, and then when they went home, the parents would have beaten his ass harder. I don't know how "special needs" kids were treated in the 50's however. What I do know is that the kid appears to be quite capable of communicating, and is self aware enough to know he needs to calm down. Which means I have less sympathy for him, and possibly even less for his mother, who as I said before, probably needs a face full herself to wake her ass up.

People are saying the teachers should have just taken it away from him/subdued him, but I don't think they're really allowed to do that anymore. If teachers were allowed to kick some ass in the classroom (and were paid better)....

I'm curious, what is your experience with special needs kids?

One of my good friends works with special needs kids and has been telling me exactly how it works for years. She has the bruises and injuries to prove it and she works with them into the teen years when they are much stronger.. Typically they have males on staff strong enough and well trained to deal with them when something goes wrong. Rarely is a child injured by those dealing with the meltdown and when they are it's typically a very minor injury like a scraped knee from falling over. They don't pepper spray children and the teachers don't run into another room and hide.

http://officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=57700

"Asked on ABC's "Good Morning America" whether he meant it when he told police he wanted to kill them, the boy responded: "A little."

Police say pepper-spraying the boy was the safest option.

"I kind of deserved it," Aidan conceded to "Today." "

that right there tells you he was thinking clearly and his "special needs" have nothing to do with it...he realizes what he did was wrong and he got what he deserved.

One of my good friends works with special needs kids and has been telling me exactly how it works for years. She has the bruises and injuries to prove it and she works with them into the teen years when they are much stronger.. Typically they have males on staff strong enough and well trained to deal with them when something goes wrong. Rarely is a child injured by those dealing with the meltdown and when they are it's typically a very minor injury like a scraped knee from falling over. They don't pepper spray children and the teachers don't run into another room and hide.

I still think the kid getting pepper sprayed was a good wake up call for him, but the highlighted is right, what the heck? why are they hiding?

Archived