Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

abcnews: Aidan Elliot, 8, pepper sprayed by Colorado police

Toe Jam

If that child was brandishing a sharpened piece of wood and threatening to stab people with it, I can't fault the police for using pepper spray. Sure they could have bum-rushed the kid, but they risked getting stabbed in the process. I don't care if you're 8 or 38, swinging a knife-like object can inflict serious injury.

Bum-rushed?

One normal 20-year old adult could easily disarm this child without injuring either party. So, you'd have to assume a trained police officer could do so as well. This is ridiculous. Some of you are painting a picture like this kid had created some elaborate weapon. A young, special needs child was holding a piece of wood and having a fit. I would assume that any grown up, but certainly the trained special needs teacher, could have diffused the situation.

Bum-rushed?

One normal 20-year old adult could easily disarm this child without injuring either party. So, you'd have to assume a trained police officer could do so as well. This is ridiculous. Some of you are painting a picture like this kid had created some elaborate weapon. A young, special needs child was holding a piece of wood and having a fit. I would assume that any grown up, but certainly the trained special needs teacher, could have diffused the situation.

i agree completely that an average person could disarm the kid, but not without taking a few whacks from whatever the wooden object was...why not avoid getting hit altogether and temporarily disable the kid with pepper spray?

so you would rather the officers go hands on with the kid? then the mom would complain the officers were to rough with him. kid got what he deserved, end of story.
Maybe he'll think twice about being a little turd next time when he remembers the face full of pepper spray?
You probably have a greater chance of injuring him that way...
Of course someone could take him down... The problem is there would be a lawsuit that would quickly follow. The mother's attitude towards the police and teachers provide enough evidence to support this. As a teacher, I wouldn't go anywhere near that kid... not only is he volatile and dangerous ... he is what teachers refer to as a career-ender. He and mom will lie through their teeth to place blame on anyone but themselves. If they made enough of a fuss... someone would eventually listen.

Can't agree with these.

He's 8. Eight. E-I-G-H-T.

I'm sure plenty of you were miserable little ****s at that age at some point. And you probably don't have behavioral issues, which this kid probably does.

The police officers were in the wrong to pepper spray him. If he had a gun I would completely understand. In fact, if he has a gun you shoot him. Horrible story at the end of the day but if someone is brandishing a firearm and you can't immediately subdue them, they get shot.

Its a 'sharp piece of wood'. I'm sorry, but I'm not a big guy and I'm not scared of an eight year old with a piece of wood. Plus I'm not wearing a bullet-proof vest and I haven't been through police training. I think that if a police officer can't physically take down an 8 year old with a piece of wood without resorting to pepper spray, I question their competency as a cop.

I get that pepper spray isn't permanently damaging, but it REALLY sucks. If you've been pepper sprayed with the **** that cops use, you'd understand and I haven't even been hit straight in the face.

This isn't a horrible example of police brutality or anything like that but I think the cops panicked and made a mistake.

i'm sure they'll remember feeling like they dipped their face in napalm the next time they decide to act up!!!

Don't be so sure. I don't know how well you know your cousins but when an autistic kid has a meltdown, responding violently only makes it worse. The more violent the response, the worse the meltdown will be. In fact, spanking or (good grief) pepper spraying an autistic kid having a meltdown, while it may make you feel good to let the little **** have it, will do far more damage to your ability to discipline him.

And I don't expect some random person to know any of this. I do expect teachers in a class for kids with behavioral issues to know how to deal with those issues though. And while this kid may be a lost cause, it's also as likely the teachers don't know what the hell they are doing. Without knowing more, none of us can really say.

i agree completely that an average person could disarm the kid, but not without taking a few whacks from whatever the wooden object was...why not avoid getting hit altogether and temporarily disable the kid with pepper spray?

I don't know...maybe due to the principle of spraying an 8-year old with special needs with pepper spray? That's good enough for my value system.

Why stop at pepper spray? Taser the **** out of the little brat.

A few whacks from a wooden object is serious business.

TJ, why did you post the second page and not the beginning of the article? It's kind of an odd lead-in the way it is posted currently.

Anyway, reading the article, it sounds like they need to pepper-spray the mother out of her state of denial.

Didn't realize I did that. I'll fix it, thanks.

As for pepper spray, it's not pleasant stuff.

I use a variant of it at work (pepper foam) and ended up with some of it in my eyes during training. Took two days for me to get it out completely.

But we are taught to use other tactics to diffuse the situation before resorting to the use of something like pepper spray. Doesn't sound like the cops did that here.

I'm sure plenty of you were miserable little ****s at that age at some point.

i wouldn't go that far...i didn't do anything like this because i had what apparently this kid lacks...parents that actually held me responsible for all my actions and didnt blame everything on someone else...if i messed up, i dealt with it plain and simple. no blaming anyone else...fear goes a long way in children

I was going to post something about the cops tazering a kid, but when I went to youtube, I realized that there is actually a lot of videos of that actually happening. Even a pregnant woman being tazed. One of the stories was cops tazering a 6 year old girl, because she didn't want to go to bed and her mom said for the cop to tazer her if he wanted to.

i wouldn't go that far...i didn't do anything like this because i had what apparently this kid lacks...parents that actually held me responsible for all my actions and didnt blame everything on someone else...if i messed up, i dealt with it plain and simple. no blaming anyone else...fear goes a long way in children

That's not fair. Parenting can't prevent these types of meltdowns. The child is in a special needs class for a reason. But hey, way to be better than an 8 year old with special needs, RM52. A+!

"Video game loving 8-yr old" .... a connection?

Usually I don't believe in the "violent video games leads to violent behavior" theory.

But I think an exception can be made here. If he's 8, and he's playing Grand Theft Auto, he's going to be much more impressionable than a 13 year old.

I couldn't imagine going to school and having some 8 year old kid shouting on top of a desk with a piece of wood saying he's going to kill all us mother*******. Why is this generation so out of control and looney?

When I was in elementary school grade in rich, white McLean Va, a kid got so mad that he picked up a desk and threw it at a teacher with Hulk-roid strength. A cuople years later, a kid bit a gym teacher's hand down to the bone (coach was a cruel bully and deserved what he got).

Anyhow, my point is that things are the same as they ever were. Kids are immature and some have issues and act out. We just didn't have the Internet to hear about it every time it happened in Denver Colorado or Lakeland, Florida, or wherever.

Usually I don't believe in the "violent video games leads to violent behavior" theory.

But I think an exception can be made here. If he's 8, and he's playing Grand Theft Auto, he's going to be much more impressionable than a 13 year old.

Pepper spray his mother then for doing a ****ty job. Don't pepper spray the kid.

I guess my question is, since when does half the student population have special needs? It seems to me (I could be wrong) that so many kids are labelled with special needs at such young ages, that they start to believe it themselves. I find the number of kids that are diagnosed with Autism and other behavioral problems mind boggling. Its weird that not only are kids today labelled as having some kind of problems, but the way they carry out their behavior is astonishing.

I couldn't imagine going to school and having some 8 year old kid shouting on top of a desk with a piece of wood saying he's going to kill all us mother*******. Why is this generation so out of control and looney? I'm thinking over half the kids that are diagnosed with some disorder, do not actually have the disorder and just need some prodding to get them over the hump. That's not to say Autism and other things don't exist, I just think they are over diagnosed. We had a high school of around 2,000 and I could count on my hands and feet how many "special needs" kids (not including the physically handicapped) in my high school.

It's different than when we were in school. There are more kids who really have autism. Go sit in a special needs class for ten minutes and tell me they are just badly raised kids faking it. Sure, some kids are misdiagnosed, but that's not the main reason for the increase. It's something else, and it's a growing problem. One that in my opinion is not being given nearly enough attention. Not only do we need to figure out what is causing this spike in cases, but we need to figure out how to make these kids functional members of society. And draconian measures such as pepper-spraying them all or throwing them into an institution (solutions presented in this thread) isn't going to solve anything.

When I was in elementary school grade in rich, white McLean Va, a kid got so mad that he picked up a desk and threw it at a teacher with Hulk-roid strength. A cuople years later, a kid bit a gym teacher's hand down to the bone (coach was a cruel bully and deserved what he got).

Anyhow, my point is that things are the same as they ever were. Kids are immature and some have issues and act out. We just didn't have the Internet to hear about it every time it happened in Denver Colorado or Lakeland, Florida, or wherever.

I had a friend in high school that would have angry outbursts and say crazy things.

We all thought he was a class clown, an attention seeker. Didn't take him seriously. We had a good laugh and thought nothing else of it.

Last summer he murdered a teenage girl, stole her car, and tried to leave the state.

The police resolved a situation with very real potential for injury of the assailant, the victims, and the police. The kid was not injured. Nobody was injured, actually. The situation was resolved with pepper spray.

If it were my child, I'd rather he be pepper-sprayed than taken down and "subdued" by an adult.

Really, I don't see what the big deal is.

Archived