Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Argument Against Speeding Cameras

gortiz

Would you rather this, or increase in taxes?

No, I would rather them put these up and say we need to increase funding and don't want to raise taxes. Not this is all about safety in the community. Also, I don't understand why government contractors get worked over by the private sector so much. Companies like Lockheed need Government spending to be succesful, yet most private sector companies make out like bandits in most contracts.

I think for many, it IS actually about safety. Where I live, the speed cameras are only put in school zones or on Highway work zones. If they wanted to simply screw drivers, they'd hide them a lot better, and put then on divided highways...where speeds are probably exceeded by 15mph by most drivers.

I think for many, it IS actually about safety. Where I live, the speed cameras are only put in school zones or on Highway work zones. If they wanted to simply screw drivers, they'd hide them a lot better, and put then on divided highways...where speeds are probably exceeded by 15mph by most drivers.
This.

I speed a lot on major highways. Usually 7-10 MPH over the limit. However, I'm one of the few drivers who obeys work zone speeds. General speed limits are arbitrary, work zone speed limits serve a purpose. The same goes for school zones. I'll be going 25-30 while everyone else continues to go 50. I wouldn't mind those people getting a ticket.

How does the camera prove who was driving the car?

It can't, which is why if you get a camera ticket, you only pay the fine and don't get dinged by insurance, but for those states that use outside companies to set up cameras or collect tickets, the fines and fees are huge. I got a speeding camera ticket in Ohio, maybe Kentucky-either way I did not pay- and I was going 8mph over the posted limit and the fine was $280 and a service fee of $75 for a total of $355.

• 1 year later...

Md. State Highway speed camera tickets spike overnight

In work zones, speed enforcement cameras issue tickets even when roadway workers are home in bed

More than 40 percent of all speed camera tickets issued to drivers in Maryland highway work zones have been doled out between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., times when crews often aren’t on the job.

That picture emerged when The Baltimore Sun graphed, hour by hour, all million or so work-zone citations generated by the State Highway Administration between December 2009 and June 30.

Over 24 hours, the tally rises and falls like a wave. The highest number of tickets was issued between 11 a.m. and noon — nearly 102,000. The low point came between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m., with only 359 tickets for exceeding the speed limit by at least 12 mph.

Tabacek says the automated cameras have helped continue a decade-long decline in work zone crashes and speeding. When the program began three years ago, 7 percent of passing cars and trucks got tickets, he said. “Now we’re below 1 percent.”

Critics have complained that it’s unfair to ticket drivers when job sites are idle. Sen. Jim Brochin, a Baltimore County Democrat, has sponsored legislation to limit enforcement to times when work crews are present. More than 435,000 of the $40 tickets have been issued from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

But Tabacek says the state always wants people slowing down in work zones. Also, he said, “four out of five injuries that take place in work zones are to the motorists themselves.”

Click on the link for the full article

There are plenty of studies showing the benefit of cameras in reducing accidents, especially red light cameras.

For those who complain about fines, just make it impact your ability to drive. Accumulate enough penalty points within a certain time period and your driving privileges are removed, as you have demonstrated that you are not willing to respect the rights of other drivers..

I have no problem with Speed Cameras. I only been caught by three. Two of those were win Maryland brought out the cameras that look like generators and I didn't know what they were. :doh:

All I know is that when I see a "Photo Enforcement" or "Radar Enforcement" sign, I slow down.

Also, DC has come out with these cameras that just look like regular circuit boxes, but they are actually speed traps.

21185_293480207430865_1137037584_n.jpg

304668_267489610029925_1690922918_n.jpg

561728_267484723363747_1254863430_n.jpg

There are plenty of studies showing the benefit of cameras in reducing accidents, especially red light cameras.

You sure about that? Cause I've heard the exact opposite.

That red light cameras greatly reduce the numbers of MAJOR accidents. The t-bones that occur when a car running a red light collides with a crossing car.

But that they also cause a vast increase in MINOR accidents. Specifically, rear end collisions where the light changes to yellow, and a car slams on his brakes to avoid the hair-trigger red light camera and the intentionally shortened yellow light, and the car behind him sped up, in anticipation of making the light.

I just want to know why the intersection cameras that are up on the light poles don't point into the intersection, but instead point DIRECTLY into my windshield as i wait at the light?

I've asked this question a million times, and I've never gotten an answer.

these cameras point predominantly into the left turn lane, directly into the windshield of the car in front.

This camera isn't looking at any intersection.. they're looking at US.

They're not looking back to see how far a backup might be stretching if there was a wreck in the intersection it's not looking at. It is focused right into the windshield of the car who is front in line, and everyone else who comes through that left turn lane gets looked over in turn as they make their way through.

It looks at your face. Not at the traffic.

~Bang

You sure about that? Cause I've heard the exact opposite.

That red light cameras greatly reduce the numbers of MAJOR accidents. The t-bones that occur when a car running a red light collides with a crossing car.

But that they also cause a vast increase in MINOR accidents. Specifically, rear end collisions where the light changes to yellow, and a car slams on his brakes to avoid the hair-trigger red light camera and the intentionally shortened yellow light, and the car behind him sped up, in anticipation of making the light.

That may be your problem, not the presence of a camera.

I just want to know why the intersection cameras that are up on the light poles don't point into the intersection, but instead point DIRECTLY into my windshield as i wait at the light?

I've asked this question a million times, and I've never gotten an answer.

these cameras point predominantly into the left turn lane, directly into the windshield of the car in front.

This camera isn't looking at any intersection.. they're looking at US.

They're not looking back to see how far a backup might be stretching if there was a wreck in the intersection it's not looking at. It is focused right into the windshield of the car who is front in line, and everyone else who comes through that left turn lane gets looked over in turn as they make their way through.

It looks at your face. Not at the traffic.

~Bang

Perhaps so that they can photograph the driver who ran the red light?

---------- Post added December-13th-2012 at 01:07 PM ----------

That may be your problem, not the presence of a camera.

Curious how you read "I've read that the cameras increase the number of minor accidents", and got "that may be your problem, not the camera".

Curious how you read "I've read that the cameras increase the number of minor accidents", and got "that may be your problem, not the camera".

The relevant part was bolded ... "the intentionally shortened yellow light".

If the folks installing the cameras mandate an artificially shortened yellow light in order to catch more people, that might be the cause of minor fender benders, not the presence of a camera.

I don't speed anymore, unless I'm on the beltway/highway, and in a hurry. I think the speed cameras are BS, but if the ultimate goal here is slowing down the majority of drivers who would otherwise be doing like 20 over, hten I guess it would be a success, after you get one of those big ass tickets in the mail. Not bad when you can do that, and make some nice $$ on top of it.

My only problem is the placement of them, whether it be on a wide stretch of road in a non residential area, where speeding wouldn't be potentially dangerous, and putting them on roads where there is an incline.

I get the impression that some of the posters in this thread are ones that drive 55 mph in the left lane to deliberately slow down traffic.

I'm more the type to buy a giant armored truck with decent acceleration so that I can t-bone the ****ers around here who run red lights. :evilg:

The relevant part was bolded ... "the intentionally shortened yellow light".

If the folks installing the cameras mandate an artificially shortened yellow light in order to catch more people, that might be the cause of minor fender benders, not the presence of a camera.

I disagree. I remember when they installed one on Lynn St and Wilson Blvd in Arlington. People stopped going through yellow lights and would slam on the brakes when the yellow light came on. They had no idea how long the yellow light would be, shortened or otherwise, and preferred not to risk it. The intersection functioned for a time as if there was no yellow, simply green and red, and a lot of car accidents happened as a result.

I've always wondered how these work on multi-lane roads. If A car is in the middle lane doing the speed limit, and I go zooming past him speeding, but I'm right by him as the camera snaps the picture, how does it decide who was speeding? How does this pick out a single car out of a group?

I disagree. I remember when they installed one on Lynn St and Wilson Blvd in Arlington. People stopped going through yellow lights and would slam on the brakes when the yellow light came on. They had no idea how long the yellow light would be, shortened or otherwise, and preferred not to risk it. The intersection functioned for a time as if there was no yellow, simply green and red, and a lot of car accidents happened as a result.

Sounds like a mix of crappy implementation and people behaving like dumbasses. :ols:

Neither should be an argument against safety improvements.

I completely disagree with speed cameras, and I am a driver who goes the speed limit in school zones, 5 over on regular roads and 7 over on major highways, unless the flow of traffic is faster and then I will follow that.

Until the speed limits are updated to be more realistic then speed cameras are enforcing an outdated limit. What they should be used for is monitoring traffic flow and be used to switch lights based on that flow.

To answer Stugein's question, newer cameras can target multiple cars. What they could do is target traffic flow and average speed, and then have a set number over that amount that if exceeded will trigger a ticket issuance. This would be similar to how cops typically target the speedster in a traffic flow and ignore the others who are all mildly exceeding the speed limit.

There also needs to be a nationally set and instituted time span for yellow lights so everybody knows it and reacts to it accordingly. Yellow is a transition from go to stop, it's time needs to be consistent everywhere. Or at least have it start flashing right when it's about to switch to red.

This (speed cameras) has been in the news a lot in Baltimore recently.

One guy got a ticket while stopped at a red light.

Others are getting tickets saying they are going 15+ over the limit. Then people do measurements on the distance traveled in the pictures, and the people who were issued tickets were going the speed limit.

Archived