Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Liberty's Pondexter apologizes for Japan tweets

Forehead

New York Liberty guard Cappie Pondexter has apologized after causing an Internet uproar with comments on her Twitter account that were deemed insensitive toward victims of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami.

On Saturday, Pondexter tweeted: "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes."

She later tweeted: "u just never knw! They did pearl harbor so u can't expect anything less."

Pondexter also used used the racially derogatory term "jap," when referring to someone who was offended by her comments.

On Monday morning, Pondexter issued an apology on her verified Twitter account "cappa23."

"I wanna apologize to anyone I may hurt or offended during this tragic time," the tweet said. "I didn't realize that my words could be interpreted in the manner which they were. People that knw me would tell u 1st hand I'm a very spiritual person and believe that everything, even disasters happen 4 a reason and that God will shouldn't be questioned but this is a very sensitive subject at a very tragic time and I shouldn't even have given a reason for the choice of words I used.

"The least thing I wanted was to hurt or offend anyone so again I truly apologize. If you've lost respect for me that's totally fine but please don't let me or my words lose the respect of u the WNBA and what it stands for.

"I'm very strong woman evn strong enough 2 admit an apologize when I'm wrong. Twitter is a voice and wth tht I wanna apologize again."

ESPNNewYork.com has reached out to the Liberty for comment.

Pondexter, a four-year pro, averaged a career-best 21.4 points per game for the Liberty last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=6215398

My only contribution. God needs to punish her for her eye-bleed inducing grammar. We can now go back to our regularly scheduled "not giving a ****" about the WNBA.

Its such a back handed apology. She apologizes and then tries to defend what she said. She is immature. I hope she feels a little heat for her lack of thinking before she spews her thoughts in a public forum.

Why do all modern apologies use the words "People I may have offended?"

I wish that was a technique that was really effective.

I wish to apologize to my wife who may have been offended when I compared her ass to one of those heart pillows at IKEA.

I wish to aplogize to my boss who may have been offended when I called him a crypto-facist Jew hater.

I wish to apologize to my sister in law who may have been offended when I said her son has a future as a wife beater once he develops better aim.

Yes, in America you are not allowed to have opinions.

I mean, I agree with you to some degree. What gets me is the reference to "how they treat their own people" as if Japan is some sort of oppressive regime. Did she get them confused with North Korea? And the Pearl Harbor thing...I wasn't aware that God would hold a 70 year grudge.

To me, its more comical than anything, and combined with her atrocious use of the english language...well, she'd better hope the league never folds.

shes hood rat what do you expect?

Well, this thread just took an unexpected turn.

---------- Post added March-14th-2011 at 02:53 PM ----------

Yes, in America you are not allowed to have opinions.

What does that mean?

Can I say, "I think all Indians should be chemically castrated" and no one is allowed to criticize me?

What if I followed up with "Dot not feather."

It's just, like, my opinion, man.

I mean, I agree with you to some degree. What gets me is the reference to "how they treat their own people" as if Japan is some sort of oppressive regime. Did she get them confused with North Korea? And the Pearl Harbor thing...I wasn't aware that God would hold a 70 year grudge.

To me, its more comical than anything, and combined with her atrocious use of the english language...well, she'd better hope the league never folds.

lol.... you have got some reading to do...

lol.... you have got some reading to do...

Yes, I'm aware of the Bible. Then again, I don't think anyone he was trying to instruct or bring into the fold flew planes into battleships. :ols: What I should have said was "I wasn't aware he would hold the grudge on our behalf" since we kind of took care of business ourselves.

I mean hell, if Japan is getting punished for Pearl Harbor this much time later, are we about to have to pay the piper for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings?

To show you how in touch I am with the WNBA' date=' I thought she was at Liberty University and was about to make a Jerry Falwell joke.[/quote']

I had the same initial thought. :ols: I had no idea what the New York Liberty was until near the end of the OP. But this is a win for the WNBA, because any publicity for them at this point is good, right?

What gets me is the reference to "how they treat their own people" as if Japan is some sort of oppressive regime. Did she get them confused with North Korea?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Apparently to "Cappie" it's all one country called Asialand. :)

I also love the condescending apology. This chick went to college?

BTW- We all know it was God's revenge for the whaling. :paranoid:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Apparently to "Cappie" it's all one country called Asialand. :)

I also love the condescending apology. This chick went to college?

Her alma mater should apologize for giving her a degree.

Archived