Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season Ticket Renewals

bryantlc

I have upper deck tickets on the 5th row on the home side and they cost 79.00 before taxes. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the 100.00 for upper deck. The 100 level seats are 99.00 for the most part.

When you add in the taxes, preseason games, and "processing fees," I'm quite sure those upper deck tickets come out to $100 each for the regular season, or damn close to it, which I'm sure is what he's getting at. Preseason games are a tax - nobody wants them, most people don't go to them, and they have a cash value of about zero. His point about spending that money instead in the aftermarket to get better seats for the reg season is completely legit.

My brother in law used to be a Ravens STH, and the Ravens would actually include an envelope so you could mail them to a charity and take a small tax write-off.

When you add in the taxes, preseason games, and "processing fees," I'm quite sure those upper deck tickets come out to $100 each for the regular season, or damn close to it, which I'm sure is what he's getting at. Preseason games are a tax - nobody wants them, most people don't go to them, and they have a cash value of about zero. His point about spending that money instead in the aftermarket to get better seats for the reg season is completely legit.

FYI, it is much closer to $90, but no biggie. I completely understand what you are saying. I believe most other pro sports teams -- the 3 other D.C. sports franchises definitely do -- include tax in the "face value" of tickets. If I am not mistaken, the Redskins changed this practice in 2006 when they raised ticket prices so they could say they only raised "face value" XX number of dollars. In reality, actual cost was significantly more.

79 (face value) X .1 (10 percent tax) = 7.90

25 (cost of shipping/handling fee) / 10 (games) = 2.50

3 (cost of fee if you pay online) / 10 (games) = .30

79 + 7.90 + 2.50 + .30 = = $89.70 (real cost to STH)

I am planning atrip to DC with my son in the next two years for attending a home game. We are both die-hard Skins fans that want to see a Redskins game at Fed Ex among the Redskins faithful. We often watch you tube videos that are filmed at the stadium and have longed to be there. I am wanting any information on good seats, angles, and costs that would be associated with attending a home game. Hotels in the area and best areas near the stadium would also be greatly appreciated. We are attending the Redskins-Saints matchup this coming season at the Super Dome (we live two hours away) and are looking forward to watching the Skins dominate them. And yeah, we are sporting our Redskins gear in all its glory. Again, any info is greatly appreciated.

FYI, it is much closer to $90, but no biggie. I completely understand what you are saying. I believe most other pro sports teams -- the 3 other D.C. sports franchises definitely do -- include tax in the "face value" of tickets. If I am not mistaken, the Redskins changed this practice in 2006 when they raised ticket prices so they could say they only raised "face value" XX number of dollars. In reality, actual cost was significantly more.

79 (face value) X .1 (10 percent tax) = 7.90

25 (cost of shipping/handling fee) / 10 (games) = 2.50

3 (cost of fee if you pay online) / 10 (games) = .30

79 + 7.90 + 2.50 + .30 = = $89.70 (real cost to STH)

...and if you build the cost of the preseason games into 8 regular season games the cost is $109.45 per ticket ($790 divided by 8 rather than 10). All depends on your perspective, I guess.

I have upper deck tickets on the 5th row on the home side and they cost 79.00 before taxes. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the 100.00 for upper deck. The 100 level seats are 99.00 for the most part.

Yeah, others have hinted at what I was getting at with the taxes and preseason added in.

I get it. I enjoyed being a season ticket holder. I liked when the tix would come in the mail, looking at who was on each ticket, the excitement of the upcoming season...all of that. But I just realized that I could sit in a lot of different sections, and get better seats for the same price buying in the aftermarket. I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to be a season ticket holder. It just wasn't enough for me after a while. And for anyone who claims that people are not as diehard for giving up season tickets, I call shenanigans.

Edited by dockeryfan

So you have been a STH since you were 16?

Yeah. Always been in my name. My dad helped me pay for them in HS and freshman year of college, but other than that, I've paid.

My name was put on the waiting list in the early 1990s. We had a family friend that worked in the ticket office and in the summer of 2003 got us tickets right before he left the Skins.

just renewed my seats for next year...

I have the $44 seats from the upper endzone sections that were removed. I am now in the corner. I checked that I do not want a price increase, but would like to be moved lower in my section. I wonder if they'll upgrade me and keep me at $44 or if I'm not eligible to be upgraded without a price increase since that ticket price really doesn't exist anymore...

Been a STH for years and definitely going to renew again this year. Is there any advantage at all to paying in full now rather than waiting until April 1? Will that help my chances of upgrading?

My response from the TO last year was renewing before the deadline did not matter. As long as you paid by the deadline, you are eligible for an upgrade. After than it depends on location and seniority.

My response from the TO last year was renewing before the deadline did not matter. As long as you paid by the deadline, you are eligible for an upgrade. After than it depends on location and seniority.

That's what I thought was the case. Another question, in case you know the answer: If I choose to upgrade, can I be specific enough in renewing that I can choose to just move down as many rows as possible, while staying in the same section and preferably staying only a few seats from the aisle?

It's tough to spend the money every year at this time, and I know financially it may not make perfect sense and even if we start consistently winning 10+ games a year, I think tickets will be attainable on the secondary market for reasonable prices. But for me it's all about being in the same seats every game, knowing the people around me, and I guess a demonstration of loyalty that I'm a season-ticket holder. Is it worth the cost? Who knows.

That's what I thought was the case. Another question, in case you know the answer: If I choose to upgrade, can I be specific enough in renewing that I can choose to just move down as many rows as possible, while staying in the same section and preferably staying only a few seats from the aisle?

You are asked several questions when you checkout for your seat upgrade preferences. You can see the questions. Just go to your online account and look under your profile and upgrade options/preferences....I forget the exact location.

You can also ask the ticket office to put a note in your file for something "special". For example, when I was in the upper deck, I put a note in my file that I wanted to be upgraded as close as possible to the home team side. I got put in section 109 while some got put in end zone sections closer to the visitor side. This year, I asked the TO to "downgrade" me to the 200 level so I do not have to stand all game long. As you move toward the lower level sidelines, people stand the entire game because Danny's Dream Seats force people to stand to see over the players, media and cheerleaders. Consequently everyone behind them have to stand the whole game long also to watch the game. Doesn't happen in the 200 level because of the elevation. Personally, I think the 200 level seats are the best seats in the house....but that's just MHO. Hopefully, I move forward a section but get put in the 200 level.

I just emailed my request to the TO and got a positive reply the next day. They will work with you folks......if you are reasonable with them.

After waiting for 10 years I finally got offered ST's... super pumped about it. I live in the Lehigh Valley in PA, so the drive down for me is like a mini vacation. Can't wait to find out where they stick me... heh. Any tips on what I should put in my special instructions for the Box Office?

Edited by SkinsWarrior81

After waiting for 10 years I finally got offered ST's... super pumped about it. I live in the Lehigh Valley in PA, so the drive down for me is like a mini vacation. Can't wait to find out where they stick me... heh. Any tips on what I should put in my special instructions for the Box Office?

Yes, tell them that you will pass on the offer since you can buy much better seats in the secondary market for $1K less a season.

I just got contacted by the TO after only being on the waiting list for about 2 years... is it possible that the secret waiting list is really just a myth? For all the contributors to this post I read your statements about not buying them and I agreed fully with your reasoning.... right up until I got that email lol.

HTTR

The Niners are tripling the face cost of their prime sideline seating to an average of $350 per seat in the new stadium. That's up from an average of $135 per comparable seat in 2011. PSLs range from $20, $30, to $80,000 per seat. But hey, its interest free if they pay up front.

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_19853863

Makes our ST ownership look like a bargain, which is still overpriced IMO.

The Niners are tripling the face cost of their prime sideline seating to an average of $350 per seat in the new stadium. That's up from an average of $135 per comparable seat in 2011. PSLs range from $20, $30, to $80,000 per seat. But hey, its interest free if they pay up front.

I could charge $10K to sit on my front lawn on Sunday and watch cars go by, but that doesn't mean anyone's stupid enough to pay me. I don't blame teams for jacking up ticket prices - I blame fans for being dumb enough to pay those prices.

I could charge $10K to sit on my front lawn on Sunday and watch cars go by, but that doesn't mean anyone's stupid enough to pay me. I don't blame teams for jacking up ticket prices - I blame fans for being dumb enough to pay those prices.

I don't blame the teams either. You charge the mo$t the market will bare. Some people will buy those seats, but it won't be many of their long time STHs in comparable seat locations today. Most of the good seats will go to corporations who won't actually pay the advertised rates. It would be the same way here if we ever move again.

On the bright side of it all, single game tix will always be available at true market value whether its here, SF, NY or Dallas. Preseason of conference championship game, the real worth isn't what the teams sell the tickets for.

http://www.mercurynews.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4213777

Congrats man!! Hope the Skins make your trip worth it this year...