Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you support an 18 game regular season schedule?

SkinsHokieFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What is wrong with football the way it is right now? Why continually expand the season just because it used to be shorter...in the 70's. It isn't at the point yet, but if you add a few more games and make it 18...maybe it'll be 20 in a few years...it cheapens the importance of each game. I don't like to sit down and watch baseball games or hockey games because they play their games multiple times per week and it doesn't really mean all that much if they lose. I love to sit down and watch Redskins games because every game is important and winning or losing means a lot to the team you follow.

bingo!!!

Actually, bigger rosters would DECREASE the quality of a game as much as not doing it would decrease the quality of the season.
In reality, this is not a valid statement. I realize that tauting the talent level of NFL players is the in-thing, but there are MANY players who were not thought as having much talent that have lead the pack.

Tom Brady, for instance, a six round pick, was not thought of as much. Had he not have lucked out by having Bledsoe go down with that freak injury, chances are that the entire football world would still think of Brady as a nobody, if he was even thought of at all. Chances are, he might not even be in the league now.

Kurt Warner was bagging groceries, fought his way through the "less talented" leagues and still barely made it onto an NFL roster. Again, he probably would have never amounted to anything if it had not been for a freak accident to Trent Green. I'm sure there are plenty of other potentially great to incredible NFL players that were never given their shot and are "bagging groceries" as I write this.

On the flip side, throughout the league EVERY year we see players on the field that are not NFL worthy. Even huge, first round draft busts dominate NFL conversations.

So, how can one say that the talented level would be watered down by having larger rosters? It is easy to argue that many rosters are watered down now because of the players that have been excepted and the lack of opportunity for more players that were never given a chance. All in all, I truly believe that the talent level would not change much either way if we changed to an 18 game schedule.

I also think that if we did go to an 18 game schedule, that we should eliminate regular season inter-conference games, and every team should play each team in their own conference every season. For instance, The Redskins schedule would look like this:

Games 1-6: Cowboys x 2, Eagles x 2, Giants x 2

Games 7-10: Each team in the NFC South

Games 11-14 Each team in the NFC West

Games 15-18 Each team in the NFC North

Of course, the schedule would have the opponents mixed throughout the season (we wouldn't play each division straight in a row). This would lead to a more complete playoff scenario. If you get to the NFC Championship game, you would literally have to face every team in the NFC to prove yourself worthy. Just a thought.

I voted for the 18 games just for the fact of paying full price for the preseason tickets. If I wouldnt have to pay for the preseason tickets then I would say stay at 16 but we pay good money to watch mostly guys that wont be on the team and for me thats a waste of about $ 850 a yr with food and travel expenses.

simple solution stay at 16 charge half price for preseason

---------- Post added February-25th-2011 at 10:13 PM ----------

Now I can definitely roll with that! But something tells me the owners dont want that either. The players would'nt mind having 8 playoff teams and an extra bye week.

---------- Post added February-25th-2011 at 02:17 AM ----------

they are looking out for us season ticket holders that are getting screwed on preseason games

I cant understand why season ticket holders would want it? The fans barely come to games now unless they are big matchups. So why do we want to see a half empty stadium watching second stringers at the end of the season.

In reality, this is not a valid statement. I realize that tauting the talent level of NFL players is the in-thing, but there are MANY players who were not thought as having much talent that have lead the pack.

Tom Brady, for instance, a six round pick, was not thought of as much. Had he not have lucked out by having Bledsoe go down with that freak injury, chances are that the entire football world would still think of Brady as a nobody, if he was even thought of at all. Chances are, he might not even be in the league now.

Kurt Warner was bagging groceries, fought his way through the "less talented" leagues and still barely made it onto an NFL roster. Again, he probably would have never amounted to anything if it had not been for a freak accident to Trent Green. I'm sure there are plenty of other potentially great to incredible NFL players that were never given their shot and are "bagging groceries" as I write this.

On the flip side, throughout the league EVERY year we see players on the field that are not NFL worthy. Even huge, first round draft busts dominate NFL conversations.

So, how can one say that the talented level would be watered down by having larger rosters? It is easy to argue that many rosters are watered down now because of the players that have been excepted and the lack of opportunity for more players that were never given a chance. All in all, I truly believe that the talent level would not change much either way if we changed to an 18 game schedule.

I also think that if we did go to an 18 game schedule, that we should eliminate regular season inter-conference games, and every team should play each team in their own conference every season. For instance, The Redskins schedule would look like this:

Games 1-6: Cowboys x 2, Eagles x 2, Giants x 2

Games 7-10: Each team in the NFC South

Games 11-14 Each team in the NFC West

Games 15-18 Each team in the NFC North

Of course, the schedule would have the opponents mixed throughout the season (we wouldn't play each division straight in a row). This would lead to a more complete playoff scenario. If you get to the NFC Championship game, you would literally have to face every team in the NFC to prove yourself worthy. Just a thought.

The one thing that is perfect now is that the NFL has everyone playing each other and a regular basis and I wouldn't change that. Before there were some teams that you rarely played.

I have seen so many injuries from guys who held out out for a couple of weeks of preseason. Now they want the whole league to hold out for a couple of weeks and play two more games. Maybe ask some of the guys (like Fletcher) who have actually played in every game for 10+ years what they think about the whole ting; I pretty well would accept anything they have to say on the subject.

Personally I do want an 18 game season. Four months of football isn't nearly enough for me. I'd support two bye weeks for each team and an 18 game schedule... that'd add 3 weeks onto the NFL schedule. Increase the roster sizes to deal with injuries, ensure there is a better health/wellness program for current and ex-players, and bump player salaries up to account for the extra games and I'd be happy.

The NFL used to play 10, 11, 12 game schedules... I don't think the product sucks because there are 16 games now. So I don't see the quantity vs. quality argument of going from 16 to 18.

Shorten the preseason. Create a developmental league where each team has a farm team and have that season play sometime during the dead 7 months of the NFL. That would allow hidden talent that might be unearthed during the preseason to prove their worth.

While I'm dreaming I'd like a pony...

You mean like NFL Europe?

Or the UFL?

or My Little Pony?

I support a 17 game schedule eliminating 1 (if not 2) pre-season game/s - AND adding an additional bye week for each team. The addtional game (non-conference) can and should be held in neutral site in or out of country. This way no team has to give up a home game to play in a nuetral site.

The one thing that is perfect now is that the NFL has everyone playing each other and a regular basis and I wouldn't change that. Before there were some teams that you rarely played.
Agreed. Also I love how the NFCE teams play against extra-divisional opponents now, where you can compare wins and losses easier. I really think the NFL has the schedules system just right, now.

Agreed. Also I love how the NFCE teams play against extra-divisional opponents now, where you can compare wins and losses easier. I really think the NFL has the schedules system just right, now.

I am in favor of 18 game season because it means more football and I think all the concerns about it can be addressed. As a compromise, I suggest they just expand by 1 game and add another bye; hence you would get your 2 extra weeks of football.

If we get an 18 game season, curious how the 2 extra games would be scheduled. Could we have one game with a regional rival- ie Ravens- Redskins? Maybe another game is you play a division team a third time at a neutral site with that being rotated every 3 years.

I do think if there an expansion of the season- the regional rivalry should be included.

Well how do you get quality from pre-season games? Two games are not going to hurt the players. Any player can get hurt at anytime. Tom Brady was injured week one last year. Maybe the league should make it a 1 week season then. 16 teams that win go to playoffs and the other 16 go home with a fat yearly paycheck never to return again till next Sept..

There seems to be a meme from the owners that the fans want an 18 game schedule.

My opinion is that we fans don't want to be charged full price for a preseason game but also want to keep the 16 game schedule.

I am hoping this poll will actually reach someone in the organization who can inform the owner of the feelings of the Redskins fan base.

That's exactly what it is. Goddell and his cronies think they're clever with their spin. Goddell likes to refer to the "20 game format", as if preseason and regular season have anything in common. Nobody was ever clamoring for more games. If they just stopped charging full price for preseason, the problem would be solved.

But I never understood why people complained about preseason games. The season ticket holders have a legitimate beef and that's all well and good. But everyone else really doesn't. As if people were forced at gunpoint to turn their TVs to them.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 06:09 PM ----------

Agreed. People don't realize that these guys get paid millions upon millions. Their life expectancy after football is short? Cry me a river. What about police/firefighters and other careers that have a short life expectancy after they retire? And they do it for next to nothing. Not trying to start a whole different debate, just trying to show that shouldn't be part of the decision in another 2 games to their season.

I pay full price for 2 preseason games, so of course I would rather see one of those be a real game. As for watering down the game, were not talking about 30 games or something.

It should be part of the decision. What other professions go through is irrelevant to a football player's negotiations. When the police union negotiates, they don't worry about what a coal miner goes through. Can you imagine the owners sitting in the CBA negotiations talking about a police officer's career as to why there should be 18 games. It's totally nonsensical.

there are a lot of varying yet good opinions in this thread for either argument. i support the 16 game season. here are a couple reasons why.

all of the records would be rewritten. take time to think about this. it would be harder for a person to break brett farve's streak, yet easier to break brady's 50 passing tds in a season. it already happens in sports enough. do you want your grandchild saying in 30 years that player X's contributions werent important cuz he played in the 16 game era?. consider this with redskin players like art monk. his success will be seen as less important.

That's another angle that doesn't get discussed as much and one more reason I hope we never go to 18. I'll tell you what though, you know who I'm sure DOES want 18 games based on this?

The '72 Dolphins, that's who.

If we get an 18 game season, curious how the 2 extra games would be scheduled. Could we have one game with a regional rival- ie Ravens- Redskins? Maybe another game is you play a division team a third time at a neutral site with that being rotated every 3 years.

I do think if there an expansion of the season- the regional rivalry should be included.

If they go 18, I assume that the extra games will be conference games, not regional rivals. Instead of first v first third v third, it'll be first/second v first/second in the extra games.....

As long as I'm required to purchase pre-season tickets as part of my season ticket package at the same price as a regular season game, I absolutely want an 18 game regular season. I haven't attended a pre-season game in years and generally I have a hard time giving the tickets away, much less trying to recoup some of my costs. For me, adding 2 regular season games is going make my expense worth it for 1 more game per year.

Obviously, this is not going to be a concern to any fan that doesn't have season tickets. Personally, I'd be as happy with a 16 game regular season if I didn't have to buy pre-season tickets -- but I know that is an unrealistic dream, the owners are trying to get more money as I speak right now -- not looking for ways to cut revenue. The bottom line, as long as I'm getting screwed - I want some form of change to the current structure.

I'm surprised that this issue is so divisive among fans. I understand why the players and owners are butting heads about it, but does it really impact the fans that much? I would love 2 extra games, but I'm not going to lose sleep if they stick with 16. I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why a random fan would be adamantly against an 18-game schedule.

The compromise for 18 games with the players is said to be less off season work. More games less training equals more injuries. Mark my words there will be a ton of season ending injuries in the first few games.

Sometimes I think the players do TOO much. There used to be an actual offseason and the teams would go to training camp to get back in shape. Problem is, the players hate TC even though it is technically only 2-3 weeks long. If they decreased offseason OTAs, they'd have to increase the length of TC to let the players get back in football shape. I think the players need to let their bodies rest.

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 12:58 PM ----------

When the schedule was 14 games, they played 6 preseason.

When the schedule went to 16 games, they played 4 preseason.

Now, they want to go to 18 games, with 2 preseason.

Personally I do want an 18 game season. Four months of football isn't nearly enough for me. I'd support two bye weeks for each team and an 18 game schedule... that'd add 3 weeks onto the NFL schedule. Increase the roster sizes to deal with injuries, ensure there is a better health/wellness program for current and ex-players, and bump player salaries up to account for the extra games and I'd be happy.

The NFL used to play 10, 11, 12 game schedules... I don't think the product sucks because there are 16 games now. So I don't see the quantity vs. quality argument of going from 16 to 18.

Shorten the preseason. Create a developmental league where each team has a farm team and have that season play sometime during the dead 7 months of the NFL. That would allow hidden talent that might be unearthed during the preseason to prove their worth.

While I'm dreaming I'd like a pony...

This.

Except, I don't want a pony. I want a mermaid...

One thing I hope they change is the Injured Reserve rules. Kelly could have been placed on IR for 6 or 8 weeks and then come back for the last half of the season.

I'd like to see teams be able to put some one on a "disabled list" for up to 8 weeks and be able to do this at anytime during the season. We have the PUP list, but that's just for the first 6 weeks of the season. And be able to use practice squad guys and then demote them back down to the practice squad when the injured player comes back. Austin could have been on the roster until Kelly was ready or we could have released Galloway when Kelly came back.

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 01:08 PM ----------

Is there any indication that the quality of play or the number of injuries has been impacted by this?

I wouldn't say quality has diminished, but just off the top of my head without researching, I'd suspect injuries have increased. They've increased rosters from 40, to 45 to 53 over the years. They'd have to increase rosters to almost 60.

I wouldn't say quality has diminished, but just off the top of my head without researching, I'd suspect injuries have increased. They've increased rosters from 40, to 45 to 53 over the years. They'd have to increase rosters to almost 60.

I'm sure injuries have increased, but the game has changed as well. Instead of 225-pound men colliding at relatively slow speeds, we have 300-pound men who are ridiculously fast. We also have people who sit out games for smaller injuries in today's game than we did a couple decades back. I'm curious if there's any way to attribute the increased injuries to the fewer pre-season games.

But I never understood why people complained about preseason games. The season ticket holders have a legitimate beef and that's all well and good. But everyone else really doesn't. As if people were forced at gunpoint to turn their TVs to them.

My beef with preseason, as a non-season ticket holder, is that they're blacked out unless you're in the MD/DC/NOVA area. That doesn't mean I want them gone, but if they're going to have them, at least let me watch.

I don't support an 18 game season. The reason is that I don't want to see a lot of regular season records get broken by today's players because they get 2 more games to accumulate their stats. I don't want to see a very good - but not great or HOF caliber - QB break records set by Favre, Marino, Montana, etc because of a longer regular season.

If they do go to an 18 game schedule (and even if they don't really) I think they need to revise roster rules. Going on injured reserve shouldn't necessarily end a player's season. There should be different levels of injured reserve - 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, or season-ending. As it is now, if you have a player go down in the first couple weeks, but you hope he can be back by the end of the season or the playoffs, you have to play with less players because you're holding his place on the roster. If you could place him on the 8 week IR, you can use his roster spot on another player for someone else during that time.

Archived