Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you support an 18 game regular season schedule?

SkinsHokieFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There seems to be a meme from the owners that the fans want an 18 game schedule.

My opinion is that we fans don't want to be charged full price for a preseason game but also want to keep the 16 game schedule.

I am hoping this poll will actually reach someone in the organization who can inform the owner of the feelings of the Redskins fan base.

Personally I do want an 18 game season. Four months of football isn't nearly enough for me. I'd support two bye weeks for each team and an 18 game schedule... that'd add 3 weeks onto the NFL schedule. Increase the roster sizes to deal with injuries, ensure there is a better health/wellness program for current and ex-players, and bump player salaries up to account for the extra games and I'd be happy.

The NFL used to play 10, 11, 12 game schedules... I don't think the product sucks because there are 16 games now. So I don't see the quantity vs. quality argument of going from 16 to 18.

Shorten the preseason. Create a developmental league where each team has a farm team and have that season play sometime during the dead 7 months of the NFL. That would allow hidden talent that might be unearthed during the preseason to prove their worth.

While I'm dreaming I'd like a pony...

Well played football is fun to watch, unfortunately the league's quality of play has only declined with more teams and will continue to do so with more games. Too many penalties, too many teams that just plain stink (Redskins included) but also too many franchises that just don't matter. (At least Redskins fans give a ****)

Neither. I support a 17 game season, with the extra game being played at a neutral location either in another country in in a large market like LA that doesn't have a team. With 16 extra games to spread out to various locales, London could see 2-3 games a year and they might actually see a good game, SF and Oakland could square off in LA every other year, Toronto fans have a chance to see 2 real football teams play instead of 1 football team and the Bills; and this way the game could expand into other markets without teams being at the disadvantage of losing 1 of their 8 homegames. And in a minor improvment (in my opinion) it truly splits the league into winners and losers. No longer will there be 5-6 teams sitting on a .500 record.

I would much, and I emphasize much, rather see an 18 game regular season, 2 exhibition game schedule over a 16 game regular season, 4 game exhibition schedule. I think most people voting for the 16 game schedule are doing it because they feel the 18 game proposition will cause a work stoppage. Remember the 14 game/6 exhibition split? the 16/4 split is much better and the 18/2 will be even better.

I voted for the 18 games just for the fact of paying full price for the preseason tickets. If I wouldnt have to pay for the preseason tickets then I would say stay at 16 but we pay good money to watch mostly guys that wont be on the team and for me thats a waste of about $ 850 a yr with food and travel expenses.

Personally I do want an 18 game season. Four months of football isn't nearly enough for me. I'd support two bye weeks for each team and an 18 game schedule... that'd add 3 weeks onto the NFL schedule. Increase the roster sizes to deal with injuries, ensure there is a better health/wellness program for current and ex-players, and bump player salaries up to account for the extra games and I'd be happy.

The NFL used to play 10, 11, 12 game schedules... I don't think the product sucks because there are 16 games now. So I don't see the quantity vs. quality argument of going from 16 to 18.

Shorten the preseason. Create a developmental league where each team has a farm team and have that season play sometime during the dead 7 months of the NFL. That would allow hidden talent that might be unearthed during the preseason to prove their worth.

While I'm dreaming I'd like a pony...

i love the idea of a developmental league. dont quite understand why we dont already have one. if this was implemented i would have no problem with an eighteen game schedule

I like the idea of a 17 game season (drop 1 pre-season, and add a bye), with the 17th game being a AFC vs. NFC rival.

So for example, you'd have Washington vs. Baltimore, NYJ vs. NYG, Dallas vs. Houston, Oakland vs. SF, etc...every year. This would be a fun way to kick off the season, and get good meaningful rivalries going.

No, more is not always better. Also dump overseas games and 2 of the pre season snoozers.

That isn't going to happen. No way the owners agree to play fewer games. It's either 18/2 or 16/4. If you are a season ticket holder you are going to pay for 10 games no matter what.

Dan Patrick had an interesting idea on his show a few weeks ago....

The NFL is looking for more revenue and wants to add two more regular-season games. This will mean two more weeks of TV revenue the league says it needs to make the deal work. Ticket revenue will be a wash, since they’ll shrink the preseason by two games.

Here’s how the NFL can get that extra revenue without having to deal with the health risks of an 18-game regular season:

1. Add a second bye week to the regular season.

2. Add two playoff teams in both conferences.

This way the NFL gets two more weeks of television revenue. It also adds interest by brining two more teams into the postseason.

The extra bye won’t hurt the competitive balance of the league. And the playoffs would be just as exciting.

interesting way to please both sides of the table.

There seems to be a meme from the owners that the fans want an 18 game schedule.

My opinion is that we fans don't want to be charged full price for a preseason game but also want to keep the 16 game schedule.

I am hoping this poll will actually reach someone in the organization who can inform the owner of the feelings of the Redskins fan base.

Thanks for starting this thread HSF but I get the impression that the current owner is pretty well insulated from the voice of the fanbase.

Okay....now where's that idiot who said that there was no way in hell that fans on ES didn't really want an 18-game schedule, that the reasons didn't make sense, and that he was sure we were all just posturing :doh:

Hey jackass, check out the poll (not directed to anyone in particular in this thread...unless you're that guy :))

I like the idea of a 17 game season (drop 1 pre-season, and add a bye), with the 17th game being a AFC vs. NFC rival.

So for example, you'd have Washington vs. Baltimore, NYJ vs. NYG, Dallas vs. Houston, Oakland vs. SF, etc...every year. This would be a fun way to kick off the season, and get good meaningful rivalries going.

I voted for the 18 game season as I would like to see more football that matters but I also understand the arguments against. Still I would rather have football next season with 16 games instead of no football if the 18 game season proposal is a CBA deal breaker. I think Diesel Hog has a great idea here, I would love to see a schedule set up like he proposes. I think it would add more interesting meaningful games and amp up rivalries which is a good thing imho.

I would much, and I emphasize much, rather see an 18 game regular season, 2 exhibition game schedule over a 16 game regular season, 4 game exhibition schedule. I think most people voting for the 16 game schedule are doing it because they feel the 18 game proposition will cause a work stoppage. Remember the 14 game/6 exhibition split? the 16/4 split is much better and the 18/2 will be even better.

I didn't. I think the number is good for scheduling. If you added 2 games, you have to find where to add those games. If they did add the games, they would have to be intra conference games. I couldn't see say us having to play Baltimore every year, when the Vikings would get the Bills. We currently play the 4th place teams (Carolina and Minnesota) along with the NFC West. I could see both 4ths and 3rds playing each other and both 1sts and 2nds playing each other. In this case we would add Detroit and Tampa Bay to our schedule.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 01:12 PM ----------

But some teams would get lesser opponents every year on their schedule. Let's face it, the Ravens, Jets and Steelers (Phi) are far better teams than the Texans. Or like I said, Minnesota may end up playing Buffalo every year.

Nope.

Not only are the preseason games essential for team building and development I enjoy watching the them.

People who dislike the quality of play during preseason better prepare themselves.

I'm certain that smart coaches that are out to playoff hunt early will use there last few games as defacto preseason games.

Archived