Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iowa wrestler defaults rather than face girl

LeesburgSkinFan

This kid should be commended, for taking a stance he believes in for religious reasons and not passing judgment on those who have different beliefs. This is a religious argument I can listen to, I don't have to agree but at least this time the person taking the religious moral stance is not trying to force his view onto others, and for that I have a tremendous amount of respect for the kid and his family.

Unless she was pinned after it was 5-1, that's not really getting her butt whooped. That's pretty repectable for her, if she went all three periods and lost by 4. That's the LAST thing you want as a guy wrestling a girl....to go all three periods and barely win. Only thing worse is losing.

You're right, I'm sorry to use the terminology "butt whomp." I am very aware of the way wrestling scoring works. :) I meant to say got "beat." Is that better? :D

thats actually a strong match, i wish i knew if that was in the round of 16 or 1/4 finals......

Quarters.

The female wrestling debate happend 10 years ago. And real wrestlers got over it beat down their opponent and moved on.

This is true, this is exactly why I said my husband's response would be what it would be. I wouldn't care either way: if my son wanted to stick to something he truly believed, I would support him...if he wanted to wrestle, and potentially hurt the girl, I would support that too. Just an example, Steve Frasier pretty much beat the hell out of one of the female wrestlers at practice a few months ago. The wrestlers (male and female) were laughing during the match. It's definitely a different mindset they have. But the female wrestler wasn't damaged by the experience (mentally, she was physically). It's what she wanted. If I had a daughter who wanted to do that, I'd allow her to and do everything I could to support her.

While I respect the kid for sticking to his personal beliefs, all the Team USA and collegiate female wrestlers I know are extremely tough chicks. While the guys at that level (college and olympic) beat them pretty handily , I don't agree with the overall notion that guys shouldn't wrestle or fight females if they have to during a tournament.

You're right, I'm sorry to use the terminology "butt whomp." I am very aware of the way wrestling scoring works. :) I meant to say got "beat." Is that better? :D

Quarters.

This is true, this is exactly why I said my husband's response would be what it would be. I wouldn't care either way: if my son wanted to stick to something he truly believed, I would support him...if he wanted to wrestle, and potentially hurt the girl, I would support that too. Just an example, Steve Frasier pretty much beat the hell out of one of the female wrestlers at practice a few months ago. The wrestlers (male and female) were laughing during the match. It's definitely a different mindset they have. But the female wrestler wasn't damaged by the experience (mentally, she was physically). It's what she wanted. If I had a daughter who wanted to do that, I'd allow her to and do everything I could to support her.

While I respect the kid for sticking to his personal beliefs, all the Team USA and collegiate female wrestlers I know are extremely tough chicks. While the guys at that level (college and olympic) beat them pretty handily , I don't agree with the overall notion that guys shouldn't wrestle or fight females if they have to during a tournament.

a 5-1 loss in the quarters, to what imma assume was the #4 seed, beacsue i beleive the kid that Forfeited was the #1 seed???

Not bad, she needs to win to more matches to be top 6 in the State in IOWA, and that would be a much bigger story then the original....OH...how about this, the kid that forfeited, wrestles his way back through the consolation brackets and has to go against her again.........not sure how they "cross-bracket" in Iowa, but it would most likely be for 3rd/4th place match....

Stay tuned, it could happen.

I am being somewhat serious here, in wrestling there is a move called the whirly bucket. The whirly bucket is used to change a wrestlers position by basically sticking the knuckle of your thumb up your opponents ass.
I've never heard of the move called by that name...

cause it doesnt exist...i pointed that out already. 30 plus years in this sport, and someone throws out a Whirly bucket!!!???!!?!

Maybe it was a name used in that locale, who knows. :) I've just never heard any of the OTC athletes use that terminology. Regardless, I've seen guys get punched at practice for moves resembling that :ols: Do you coach now?

ahh. Ok.

I was a good wrestler in H.S and have coached it for 15 years, taking off this year, because my son is in HS and gonna give it a shot. I have to be there to be dad....So my HS Coaching career in Football is about to go through the roof. Freshman HC and Def Coordinator right now, but am looking at some JV and V Def assistant jobs ....I plan to coach Football another 25 years!

As long as you don't instill your cowboys beliefs on the kids :D

I think he handled himself well. It's an odd situation.

I also agree with TWA that mixed wrestling at that age is asking for trouble.

Hell, how do you wrestle a girl and not cop a feel, even unintentionally, and at what point can the girl claim he did and have him DQ'd or worse?

Good for her for her competitive spirit,, good for him for handling his objection with class, and I don't blame him.

~Bang

I have 2 girls and i guess i'm supposed to come down on here side. But i can't as i agree with Bang.

You spend your entire life being told not to hit girls...then your put into an unwinnable situation.

there are probably 20 possible scenarios and he comes out a winner in 1 of them.

ohh yeah: Get off my lawn.

His decision no ones business but his

We had a girl in HS and she beat the boys, all the boys did not want to wrestle her simply because they were afraid of losing to a girl. I think the boys were more afraid of her coping a feel that she was of them coping one.

If i am correct she was the first girl to qualify for the MD HS state tournament.

Because the Bible clearly states that girls shouldn't participate in sports with boys.

Closet thing i could find

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

I had to wrestle a blind kid and I pinned his ass in about 15 seconds because if I were him, I wouldn't be out there if I expected special treatment. I don't believe he did and I felt not too bad about it. Still bothered me a little I couldn't help it, specially seeing his mom&dad up in the stands. That's where sports add to your character though, when you have to face some pretty heavy ****. I think I did the right thing and I think this kid should have just wrestled the girl.

Story mentioned on Tony Kornheiser's show today, I was surprised co-ed wrestling was even allowed in high school.
In a perfect world, there would be enough support for high school wrestling for girls and guys to both have teams. Hell, in a perfect world there would be much more support and funding for wrestling, just in general.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

I had to wrestle a blind kid and I pinned his ass in about 15 seconds because if I were him, I wouldn't be out there if I expected special treatment. I don't believe he did and I felt not too bad about it. Still bothered me a little I couldn't help it, specially seeing his mom&dad up in the stands. That's where sports add to your character though, when you have to face some pretty heavy ****. I think I did the right thing and I think this kid should have just wrestled the girl.

FWIW, I think you did the right thing. I would have done the same thing, and I would encourage my children to do this as well. I think you would have been insulting the wrestler had you not pinned him. No one should play sports, or attempt anything competitive in life, IMO, expecting pity and/or someone coddling them.

Actually, you showed him a lot of respect. Not sure if he appreciated it in the moment (no one likes getting their ass kicked), but you treated him like you would anyone else and that is as it should be.

Maybe it was a name used in that locale, who knows. :) I've just never heard any of the OTC athletes use that terminology. Regardless, I've seen guys get punched at practice for moves resembling that :ols: Do you coach now?

this year football only, my son is wrestling in High School, and not the school i have been coaching since 2003. Which is Archbishop Spalding, in Anne Arundel County Maryland! So I am still working with them very closely but not on staff. i am also helping the school where he is wrestling, and also covering the sport and writing articles for Varstysportsnetwork.com

I am being somewhat serious here, in wrestling there is a move called the whirly bucket. The whirly bucket is used to change a wrestlers position by basically sticking the knuckle of your thumb up your opponents ass. To me, for a male to use this technique against a female would be bordering along the lines of sexual assault. Maybe his decision wasn't completely based on religion but also on him being a male not wanting to wrestle a female.
over 30 years of wrestling here, and never heard a coach wrestler or anyone use the term Whirly bucket......that does not exist.....However a butt drag does, and that is what you described, but some kids will not stick a knuckle in the rear.........and also a crotch lift exist.......

But still.

Yeah...not only does a move by that name not exist, it also is not "used" to expressly stick your finger up someones ass, make them uncomfortable, and hence make them switch positions. What you're describing can easily be done without any type of anal penetration :ols:

Two more thoughts here:

1) You had a weird-ass coach

2) Explanations like yours are why wrestling is considered ghey by those who don't get it.

But I will admit that I laughed my ass off after reading your explanation, and then seeing Bang's pictures of it :ols:

And on another note: I don't think girls who wrestle go into a match worrying about getting groped. Especially at tournaments, there are hundreds of people watching...something naughty isn't gonna go down on purpose. I've never seen a girl get offended by anything in a match, or say anything after...and I wrestled for almost ten years, with more girls wrestling every year.

Hell, I just went to the first day of my brother's States today, and watched the entire gymnasium erupt as a girl (who was actually pretty damn good) pulled a 5-point move and then pinned the kid. And she wasn't even butch at all! ;)

On the other side of the situation, I also saw 5 or 6 girls pinned in the first period in a bunch of different rat-tail matches right at the beginning of the tournament.

All together, I personally saw 6 or 7 girls wrestle just today...now, to be fair, only two of them will be moving on to day two at all, and only one still in the championship bracket. But the point is, more girls are wrestling around here than ever before, and not one screamed sexual harassment or was bothered when they got their ass kicked. Or did anything other than shake hands and move on after winning.

Yeah...not only does a move by that name not exist, it also is not "used" to expressly stick your finger up someones ass, make them uncomfortable, and hence make them switch positions. What you're describing can easily be done without any type of anal penetration :ols:

Two more thoughts here:

1) You had a weird-ass coach

2) Explanations like yours are why wrestling is considered ghey by those who don't get it.

The nickname given to "the move" by my buddies may not be the correct term, but shoving your knuckle up someones ass is a legitimate wrestling move, and yes, it does make people move...... see Bangs pics, those dudes in the pic are 4 deep and I guarantee their opponent changed position. Yes, it is a legal move, my problem with female wrestlers is, yes, this move could be used on them.

The nickname given to "the move" by my buddies may not be the correct term, but shoving your knuckle up someones ass is a legitimate wrestling move, and yes, it does make people move...... see Bangs pics, those dudes in the pic are 4 deep and I guarantee they changed position.

Oh, definitely. Its not something I've ever intentionally done though haha. It just happens, especially when someone is working up on you after they shoot.

Archived