Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iowa wrestler defaults rather than face girl

LeesburgSkinFan

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/17/sports/main20032962.shtml

This story about a high school wrestler in Iowa refusing to compete against a girl in the state tournament is getting lots of traction on the Web right now. What do you think?

good for him for standing by his convictions. i doubt this thread plays out like that, but to me, that's the story.

I read this yesterday, I can kind of see two schools of thought on this. First of all, the guy and his family were really classy and he bowed out with respect. I can understand that he doesn't feel comfortable competing against a girl and that's fine. But IMO, if the girl qualified and she volunteered then more power to her and if you happen to be the guy that gets matched up with her, then wrestle her. If you win, then great. You beat a qualified opponent in your weight class. If you lose, be humble and learn from your loss.

The funny thing is that another girl competed in his weight class and lost in the first round, so there's a chance he could get matched up with her in the consolation bracket lol.

I would take the loss.

Wrestling with a girl for fun (playfully, not dirty) is one thing. Competitive situation is not even close to being the same.

Same goes for other sports like boxing.

As Maj stated, Good for this kid to stand by his convictions.

EDIT: Although perhaps he was afraid of losing ?

Because the Bible clearly states that girls shouldn't participate in sports with boys.

Thats not really fair to the kid and you know that isnt the rationale.

His religious beliefs, as described in the link, are that they believe young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," and they believe in the "elevation and respect of woman" and they don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. They dont think that a full contact sport is how to do that.

be fair to the kid and respect his choices.

I think he handled himself well. It's an odd situation.

I also agree with TWA that mixed wrestling at that age is asking for trouble.

Hell, how do you wrestle a girl and not cop a feel, even unintentionally, and at what point can the girl claim he did and have him DQ'd or worse?

Good for her for her competitive spirit,, good for him for handling his objection with class, and I don't blame him.

~Bang

Thats not really fair to the kid and you know that isnt the rationale.

His religious beliefs, as described in the link, are that they believe young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," and they believe in the "elevation and respect of woman" and they don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. They dont think that a full contact sport is how to do that.

be fair to the kid and respect his choices.

You're saying then that he believes it's ok to touch another boy in a familiar way?

Basically they are Christian fundamentalists who have very old fashion views about women. Women have their rightful place and the wrestling mat isn't one of them.

I like a man(or woman) of convictions,and salute his choice.

I do not agree with his opinion,but agree mixed gender wrestling at that age is a poor choice.

At what age would it be a good choice?

I certainly agree with most that I can respect his choice, but also figure that the girl deserves her shot. Because she got her opportunity to compete I think it's cool, but if everyone forfeited or refused to wrestler her then it would be a different story. Still, it's a story worth wrestling with even though you would have thought that after hearing this story played over and over again through the years that it wouldn't be a "story" much anymore.

I think he handled himself well. It's an odd situation.

I also agree with TWA that mixed wrestling at that age is asking for trouble.

Hell, how do you wrestle a girl and not cop a feel, even unintentionally, and at what point can the girl claim he did and have him DQ'd or worse?

Good for her for her competitive spirit,, good for him for handling his objection with class, and I don't blame him.

~Bang

Yes

I like a man(or woman) of convictions,and salute his choice.

I do not agree with his opinion,but agree mixed gender wrestling at that age is a poor choice.

Yes

Because the Bible clearly states that girls shouldn't participate in sports with boys.

thanks ms. garrison, :rolleyes:

sp_1012_11_v6.jpg?width=480

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 08:29 AM ----------

You're saying then that he believes it's ok to touch another boy in a familiar way?

Basically they are Christian fundamentalists who have very old fashion views about women. Women have their rightful place and the wrestling mat isn't one of them.

wow you are way off, way to miss the target guy. even if that was his belief, who are you to tell him he can't have it? it's his right, his families right, and his church's right to believe what they want to. just like it's your right to think about boys touching in a familiar way.

I'm saying he balanced his beliefs as well as could be expected and at his own personal sacrifice (even to the point of ridicule by closed minded strangers who have to inject personal judgement because they dont believe as he does). All young men should be as filled with character as he is.

Why not drinking age?...I would say 18

endzone...the wrestling match against men you mean

I hated co-ed sports since I am afraid of hurting women.

Interestingly, I thought the answer was going to be between 5 and 9 years old. After about 10, other issues begin to come into play. :)

I'm saying he balanced his beliefs as well as could be expected and at his own personal sacrifice (even to the point of ridicule by closed minded strangers who have to inject personal judgement because they dont believe as he does). All young men should be as filled with character as he is.

very good response

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 08:35 AM ----------

Interestingly, I thought the answer was going to be between 5 and 9 years old. After about 10, other issues begin to come into play. :)

lol, that's what I though too. Although if Gina Carano wanted to wrestle, lol, :D

"wow you are way off, way to miss the target guy. even if that was his belief, who are you to tell him he can't have it? it's his right, his families right, and his church's right to believe what they want to. just like it's your right to think about boys touching in a familiar way."

I think teaching a boy an old fashioned view of women only hurts the boy, that's all. They can do whatever they want.

it's a tough situation. i've seen guys wrestle girls a fair amount; i've never seen a guy default instead of wrestling a girl.

for the guys that do wrestle a female opponent, it's a no win situation. they are 'supposed' to win, but the guys usually have a tough time because they don't want to use their full force and hurt the girl. if they do end up losing (and i've had guys on teams that i've coached lose to a girl), they catch a lot of flack... even if the girl is the better wrestler. there's no glory in victory over a girl, and a ton of crap if you lose.

What are boys doing wrestling girls anyway? It's not like boys' basketball teams are going to be playing the girls.

i would tend to agree with this, they separate less violent sports, why not separate a full contact sport like this? i think it stems from there just not being enough girls to keep it separate.

my first year as an AD, we had a female wrestler. in the middle of a match, a boob plopped out.

i'm glad i don't have daughters.

In Europe that wouldn't even be post worthy.

The boy and girl were 112 lbs soaking wet. He is a scrawny boy wrestling a girl, not a man. One thing is for sure, had he lost to her, he would have been embarrassed. I am sure there was a TON of jokes going on about him facing a girl. My opinion, he caved like a girl in fear of a loss.

Archived