Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT- Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract voids, heading to free agency

GEAUX SAINTS

Imagine if the Eagles signed him? Been reading they want a top corner to play along side Samuel. One fallacy that some have is that our division rivals just build through the draft but it simply isn't true. They sign free agents all the time, Asante Samuel among them. Our division rivals though rarely trade picks for players, IMo that's the main difference. But IM we have to use FA. FA hasn't per se been a total loser for us, imagine the team without guys like London Fletcher? to me the losing play is trading picks for players.

Here's one of the few free agents who might be worth signing to a big contract.

Pros:

- Nnamdi is a shut-down corner PERIOD

- He's a character guy...don't let playing for the Raiders fool you. He honestly loves being part of the community and putting his time and money into his charities of choice.

- He's super-smart (I like quoting Gibbs)

- He's played with D.Hall before

- We don't want him going to any other NFC East team

Cons:

- He's been injured (this is the only thing that gives me pause)

- If we bring in another high-priced CB, will D Hall be ok with it? Will there be any "here we go again" attitude from the team?

- We need more than just a CB to strengthen the team, so how will it affect the cap?

50/50

His age is not that big of a concern to me. When did Charles Woodson go to the Packers? I thought he was done when he went there. Then he has a couple of outrageous seasons. But with the injuries to Nnamdi, age will be a factor in healing.

The only thing that scares me away is he will be signing a record deal. I'd much rather have a guy like Jonathon Joseph, Ike Taylor, or Antonio Cromartie then have cap space to go after real needs on the D like Lamarr Woodley, David Harris, Antoine Bethea, and Chris Hoke. Those additions would make our 3-4 a beast.

heres a simple way to look at it, an elite player coming to free agency can basically choose his team:

if said player chooses a team with a shot at a championship it is because he wants to win, and will most likely be dedicated to doing whatever is necessary to win.

if said player chooses a crappy team it is because he wants money, and most likely his full dedication will not be there.

though this is not the case 100% of the time, it is usually. this is has been a problem with the skins over the years.

Second he is a guy who excels playing press man while we tend to play more off man and zone. Not sure he is a great fit schematically for what we do then you add in he is 30 and will cost a fortune.

Great player but I would like to see us build from the front to back and inside out on defense. Spend that cash on a NT and RDE in free agency and look for an OLB in the draft. That's my view.

Not sure how many times we can gloss over the fact that a big name FA who is 30 and older and not a schematic fit, simply because he is a big name.

The collective intelligence of this fan base has been supremely damaged by the past decade. It's going to take years for people to stop thinking in this knee jerk, quick fix manner.

Asomugha, at 30 years old is the type of player a Wildcard playoff team should be signing to get them over a gap. The 'Skins have far too many holes, especially up front on the D-line for a signing like that to make too huge of an impact.

We need to find a way to get consistent pressure on the QB, before anyone in the secondary is going to matter.

i say if we can get him for a reasonable price and not AH92 money then go for it and if rogers wants to stay since he like playing nickel which is likely he will with hall and asomugha on the roster

and ll30 in the back with kareem or whomever then the secondary is set lets get an olb and a nt and i think our d will increase amazingly.... this is all hope though

now lets get another ot or og and qb to develop and give it 2-3 years sb bound PLEASE!

I, for one, think it'd be the first very high price free agent acquisition that would actually turn out well for us.

Isn't that what Redskins fans say every time they want to sign a top tier free agent? They complain about Synder and then pray for us to sign just about every big-name free agent on the market. For example, I first joined this board when we signed Haynesworth. I railed against the signing, but I think about 90% of this board was wholly in favor of signing him.

I like Nnamdi, but he's going to get paid for what he did over the past five years, not what he will do over the next five years. Since he's going to be 30 years old, that means he's going to get overpaid.

If this had been an 8-8 season in which our defense performed decently, I'd say let's absolutely go for Nnamdi-- he might be the player to put us over the top. But we're a couple years away from having a really good D and a competitive team, and he's 30 and is going to be the highest paid non-QB in history. As much as I love Nnamdi, I vote pass. If we do end up signing him though, I won't be upset.

I wonder if the Saints will make a play at him, considering how their pass defense did yesterday, lol.

We've got some really underrated CB. Jabari Greer was one of the best last season and slumped this season but still very solid, Tracy Porter is still young and has shown a lot of potential, Randle Gay was put on IR mid-season, Patrick Robinson (32 pick in 2010) has shown flashes, Malcolm Jenkins (probowl caliber FS) can also play CB but was injured last week so he didn't play and Leigh Torrence is a solid enough backup. Not enough of a need to spend +50 million when our dline is still mediocre and plenty of FA to resign.

I like to see him in NY as a Jet. Revis and Asomugha....Brady against that secondary would be fun.

If there is a salary cap there is no way you can afford to have the two highest paid corners in the NFL. If the cap does come back anything is possible I guess if the owner has deep enough pockets.

Isn't that what Redskins fans say every time they want to sign a top tier free agent? They complain about Synder and then pray for us to sign just about every big-name free agent on the market. For example, I first joined this board when we signed Haynesworth. I railed against the signing, but I think about 90% of this board was wholly in favor of signing him.

I like Nnamdi, but he's going to get paid for what he did over the past five years, not what he will do over the next five years. Since he's going to be 30 years old, that means he's going to get overpaid.

I didn't support the Haynesworth signing. I was never that excited for Taylor, though I was stupidly in the camp that thought it was necessary. I think McNabb can still help a team out there, so I don't feel bad supporting him coming here. I think London was a top tier free agent, and strongly supported him as the best acquisition that year. I'm proud of that. Who else?

You can't just lump everyone into one pile. I support the coaches, and try to be positive, but I rarely openly support free agents.

Archived