Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT- Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract voids, heading to free agency

GEAUX SAINTS

Sorry if this shouldn't be it's own thread but thought it warranted one and no I do not think they should sign him.

If you thought firing Tom Cable annoyed Raiders fans, wait until they hear about this.

Adam Schefter of ESPN dropped a bombshell Sunday morning: Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract has voided because of a previously unknown option in his contract. Asomugha is headed for free agency.

Even the Raiders appear surprised by the development. They had a team option to keep Asomugha for the 2012 season at $16.8 million or the quarterback franchise tag number, whichever was higher. But Asomugha had a “little known” clause that said his deal would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010.

Asomugha played fewer snaps in 2010 than 2009, and made fewer big plays. That voided the deal. So Asomugha’s quieter season works against the Raiders in a few ways.

The Raiders can’t stop Asomugha from leaving if he wants to go. The contract also says they can’t use the franchise or transition tag on him.

Only 30 and arguably the league’s best overall cornerback the last five years, Asomugha figures to become one of the highest paid defensive players in history whenever free agency starts up again.[/Quote]

It will be a high price tag for him and he is 30. I thought people wanted to stop signing these high priced 30 year olds? I am not sure what to think as I feel we have a lot more NEEDS to fill in FA, although CB is up there with Rogers and PB31 becoming free agents.

It will be a high price tag for him and he is 30. I thought people wanted to stop signing these high priced 30 year olds? I am not sure what to think as I feel we have a lot more NEEDS to fill in FA, although CB is up there with Rogers and PB31 becoming free agents.

Nnamdi is a top 3 CB in the NFL. He would fill a huge need even if he did cost a bunch of money and he would certainly be worth it.

I thought people wanted to stop signing these high priced 30 year olds? I am not sure what to think as I feel we have a lot more NEEDS to fill in FA, although CB is up there with Rogers and PB31 becoming free agents.

Why are you writing like people are holding up picket signs outside of Fedex field urging Snyder to sign him? I, for one, think it'd be the first very high price free agent acquisition that would actually turn out well for us. Asomugha seems to have the character along with the skills that would make a high priced deal worthwhile.

Firstly it sounds like someone in the Raiders front office is about to get fired. A little know clause sounds like a code for a clause the Raiders missed in the final draft.

Second he is a guy who excels playing press man while we tend to play more off man and zone. Not sure he is a great fit schematically for what we do then you add in he is 30 and will cost a fortune.

Great player but I would like to see us build from the front to back and inside out on defense. Spend that cash on a NT and RDE in free agency and look for an OLB in the draft. That's my view.

I also like the fact that Asomugha averages under a game missed per season. So he's not injury prone like Shawn Springs was when we brought him here. I'm not saying we must get him, but I don't think he'd make us look foolish for signing him. Our corner tandem would be kinda like the Jets have right now. A playmaker on one side, and a shutdown corner on the other.

I'm sure ESPN would probably have a chart up showing how the Raiders and Redskins have been switching players. We'll be mocked for a while, but it'd be fine in the end.

Firstly it sounds like someone in the Raiders front office is about to get fired. A little know clause sounds like a code for a clause the Raiders missed in the final draft.

Second he is a guy who excels playing press man while we tend to play more off man and zone. Not sure he is a great fit schematically for what we do then you add in he is 30 and will cost a fortune.

Great player but I would like to see us build from the front to back and inside out on defense. Spend that cash on a NT and RDE in free agency and look for an OLB in the draft. That's my view.

good point. and our history definitely shows we aren't changing schemes for him.

Only 30 and arguably the league’s best overall cornerback the last five years, Asomugha figures to become one of the highest paid defensive players in history whenever free agency starts up again.
Sure it would be great to sign him.

I would rather push to sign Rogers before he becomes a FA.

Carlos is a very good cover and tackling CB who is the same age, would solidify the position prior to FA and would be cheaper. Once FA begins Asomugha will be involved in a high priced bidding war with no guarantees of the Redskins coming out the winner.

Shanny made a power-move a few years ago for one of the league's top corners, so maybe he will do it again.

Rogers is the exact same age as Asomugha (4 days apart) and no where near as good. Anyone who prefers Carlos because he's 'been here' or because the other guy is '30' is just jaded by our FO's foolish moves of the past. Nnamdi is a high-character player of the same caliber of London Fletcher and will continue to be top corner in the league for the next 4 years.

Let stone-hands walk and sign Asomugha... even if he wants Revis money. He is that good.

Archived