Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dead Birds, Dead Fish... what is going on?

Springfield

Funny how when you use google you can discover that there have been instances of mass fish and bird deaths for decades.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110107/US.SCI.Dead.Wildlife.Fact.Check/

FACT CHECK: Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP

Fri Jan 7, 2:02 AM EST

news-general-20110107-US.SCI.Dead.Wildlife.Fact.Check

QUOTE]

I dont see where the historical ones that slipped under the radar died of blunt force trauma en massse though.

Haven't read the linked articles, but were the previous mass deaths recorded in dozens, hundreds or thousands? I mean I can understand a few dozen birds flying into a hail storm and a flock getting decimated. Same thing with a few hundred... five thousand in one shot? That's a heck of an accurate fireworks barrage or an insanely large migratory flock.

Just like how humans die in masses everyday so does other species! Mother nature is a funny thing, she ll decde when she has had enough and get fever... It has happened before, it wil happen again. Ecosystem failure is the number one reason for such events and to act as if it's a mystery is stupid!

Just like how humans die in masses everyday so does other species! Mother nature is a funny thing, she ll decde when she has had enough and get fever... It has happened before, it wil happen again. Ecosystem failure is the number one reason for such events and to act as if it's a mystery is stupid!

On the other hand, determining why an ecosystem is failing is a pretty important things and not just for our fine feathered friends.

I dont see where the historical ones that slipped under the radar died of blunt force trauma en massse though.
I'm not sure anyone bothered to do extensive tests on all the earlier cases.

And the blunt force explanation doesn't really seem to say much anyways. Whatever may have caused them to fall out of the sky, every single one of them is going to experience a blunt force when they hit the ground.

"The birds obviously hit something very hard and had hemorrhages," said Rowe.

"Initial examinations of a few of the dead birds showed trauma. Whether or not this trauma was from the force of hitting the ground when they fell or from something that contacted them in the air, we don't know," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/

On the other hand, determining why an ecosystem is failing is a pretty important things and not just for our fine feathered friends.

The problem is we have screwed with the ecosystem souch that is almost impossible to pin point which one of our disasters are causing it, I would say all of them :-)

And the blunt force explanation doesn't really seem to say much anyways. Whatever may have caused them to fall out of the sky, every single one of them is going to experience a blunt force when they hit the ground. http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/

That was from a few days ago, this is yesterday

Apparently they ran into "houses" and "cars"

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/113018024.html

Madison lab solves mystery of Arkansas bird die-off

Blunt-force trauma from flying into homes, cars cited as cause

The mystery of the deaths of thousands of blackbirds in Arkansas this month has been solved.

They died of blunt-force trauma, according to the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison. Samples of the blackbirds - and other blackbirds from a separate mass die-off about the same time in Louisiana - were brought to the little-known laboratory on Madison's west side for necropsies.

"They died of impact force to their bodies," said Scott Wright, chief of disease investigations at the center.

He said the birds clearly showed signs of bruises.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said tests for evidence of pesticide poisoning were negative.

At least 3,000 red-winged blackbirds died on New Year's Eve near Beebe, Ark. Fireworks probably sent them flying from their roost sites.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said the agency began receiving reports of blackbirds falling from the sky about 11:30 p.m. Dec. 31 in a 1-square-mile area of Beebe.

Didn't realize we lived in the world of the Jetsons already

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

2DALYEY-Cow

The fact that this happens often and doesn't get reported only slightly relieves me more. Still, I am still worried. 40,000 crabs don't just die unless their ecosystem is greatly affected. And clearly man has something to do with it.

It is no secret that humanity has screwed animals. It has reached a point where this stuff happens, and there is no excuse. It is hard to clean up the ocean....unless there is some method I am unaware of. As far as animals on the ground, we need to preserve as many national parks as possible and relocate the ones that are endangered to these spots. Like in the case of the polar bear, they can't survice in northern Canada anymore because the ice is melting. So put 500 of em in SIberia. I dunno...I'm not a scientist.

I like animals a lot. :(

Historical Blunt force trauma Reenactment PC Version

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 12:03 PM ----------

I am still worried. 40,000 crabs don't just die unless their ecosystem is greatly affected. And clearly man has something to do with it.

Why does it have to be Man? God was upset with Eve about the apple but was po'ed when she bathed in a nearby stream, because the Fish haven't gotten the smell off of them since.

It is no secret that humanity has screwed animals. What does sexing up animals have to do with Birds flying into windows? It is hard to clean up the ocean....unless there is some method I am unaware of. The high content of salt does alot the natural oil leaks from the sea floor for example.

As far as animals on the ground, we need to preserve as many national parks as possible and relocate the ones that are endangered to these spots. Like in the case of the polar bear, they can't survice in northern Canada anymore because the ice is melting. So put 500 of em in SIberia. I dunno...I'm not a scientist. That is a waste of resources if its their time to go let them go and the best way to save a species is to turn them into a farm or USA commodity item, because then we would mass produce the heck out of them.

Why all of this sniveling about polar bears? Where is the love for Black Bears besides the ones that bounce off trampolines?

I like animals a lot. Me too especially when you add Yoshida Sauce:(

I'm a huge environmentalist, I think we are screwing up the ecosystem in all sorts of ways...

yet I find myself agreeing with NavyDave. :scared: We should investigate these things, but there is no reason to assume that this is anything out of the ordinary. Localized bird and fish dieoffs have happened throughout history. Coincidences do happen sometimes. The internet is allowing (forcing?) us to draw correlations that may or may not actually be there.

Still, I am still worried. 40,000 crabs don't just die unless their ecosystem is greatly affected. And clearly man has something to do with it.

The dead crabs is actually the easiest to explain....

With that, it really was the cold weather (coldest December in over 100 years for England) as they were all hypothermic. And for them that does happen regularly (though I'm not sure about in such huge numbers.)

Does anybody really believe that fish deaths in the Cheseapeke are related to bird deaths in Arkansas and Kentucky (or wherever else it was), fish deaths in Vietnam, and crab deaths in England?

It is certainly possible that some set of this things have been caused by man (e.g. pollution or pesticides), but there is almost no way they are connected w/o there being more widespread damage, which means that local phenomenea are most likely to be the explanation, and local natural phenomenea have extreme events too.

(And to the person that asked about bees in 2010, yes, I saw some of them this summer. I don't use any pesticides on my grass so get lot's of dandelions, and the bees were present this summer. I've started being careful of them while mowing the grass.)

The fish kills don't surprise me at all. They happen all the time, all over the place. On any random summer day on the Chessie, red tide might kill a few thousand fish. In winter they die from cold water temps if they can't find sanctuary. Millions of speckled trout and red drum died in the lower Chesapeake just last winter. There were dead fish practically carpeting the bottom in some areas. And that wasn't nearly as bad as the catastrophic fish kills in Florida during the same time.

I don't know how common the bird thing is, but I think it was just convenient to try to link these bird deaths to another animal die-off that happens all the time.

That was from a few days ago, this is yesterday

Apparently they ran into "houses" and "cars"

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/113018024.html

Didn't realize we lived in the world of the Jetsons already

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

2DALYEY-Cow

LOL, so suddenly and inexplicably, thousands of birds ran into a house or car en masse? Color me skeptical

(And to the person that asked about bees in 2010, yes, I saw some of them this summer. I don't use any pesticides on my grass so get lot's of dandelions, and the bees were present this summer. I've started being careful of them while mowing the grass.)

Same here...we had plenty of bees and wasps this spring and summer. Is there more to that question...a part 2 maybe?

Archived