Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What can the team do with the fans to improve the homefield advantage....

bedlamVR

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay I know it is this again . There have been so many threads on the pathetic home-field experience we have but instead of ****ing and whining about things I want to be positive . Given we know the FO does occasionally pay attention to what the fan base wants on this message board then I was wondering if we could come up with ideas the team could implement to win back the fans and get a 12th man on the field and make the players proud to wear the B&G again .

Look Lambeau field, or the old Mile high or Arrowhead stadium . The teams were not always world beaters but they were ALWAYS tough as nails to play at home because the fans were always behind the team and fans can be good for 2-4 wins a season alone,with the 12th man if they can get behind the teams . In a 16 game season that is huge . To an 8-8 team it can make the difference between the playoffs and another mid level draft pick and staying at home in January .

Now what I am asking is what the team can do to win you back .. free beer and 19-0 teams isn'y going to happen no matter how much we wish them to ... i am looking for realistic sugetions ... I have some but I was wondering what Redskins nation think ...

The fan forum would be a select number of fans who meet with the team and discuss the problems that impact on everyone...eg parking, transport etc to make the improvements better directed .

The youth scheme to get fans involved at an early stage

The buyback scheme to give season ticket fans an alternative to stub hub where the sales are co-ordinated through the team so there is more chance the tickets go to the fans .

A superfan section has for example better seats, better view, maybe access to the team, treat the FANS as VIPs ...

And so on ..

No matter how much I screamed on 3rd down the teams we have had the last hand full of seasons weren't gonna win much. So how to improve HFA, I say stop trading away draft picks, rebuild the O'Line and find a durable starting RB is a good start.

Your poll choices make it sound like we don't cheer in the stadium or yell our asses off during game. We do and with more coaching and lack of talent they still lost. Yeah last year there were some boos but that was to get the FO attention to make some changes. The Skins losing at home is on the Skins not us fans.

Most of the games I've gone to were LOUD and the fans stood a good part of the game when it mattered. The biggest problem is that the fan's confidence is fragile. They've been through too many heartbreaks, so it seems that when things start to go wrong they think it is going to go really wrong. Still, while we're in the game and while there is a chance the fans do their part. I've left several times, not hearing so well and either voiceless or really froggy.

The answer to your question lies with the team though and not the fans. The team has to start winning and pulling these suckers out. Fourth quarter collapses can't be the norm. It won't take a win or two, but five or six or maybe even a season or two to undo the habit of bad expectations. The only other solution is to cancel the contracts of tens of thousands who've had season tickets for a decade or longer. Get people in for whom going to the game is really special and haven't been burned in the same way.

I will say the thing that does surprise me about the fans in the stadium is the constant outflow. There always seem to be people moving in and out of their seats. The last time I went there were two groups that must have missed about a third of the game and their timing sucked. They would wait through the two minute warning and get up right before the snap literally. When they were going up and down the stairs they didn't check on the game either. When I'm there. I'm into the game. I don't want to lose a second of it.

That part I don't get.

I do think that money plays a small part too though. There are a lot of rabid fans priced out of games. Between tickets, parking (or even metro), and some basic concessions, you're talking about a hundred bucks per person and we haven't even included any souvieniers. You want to take yourself and your two sons... you've got to be willing to shell out 3-400 bucks and that's very real money for a lot of families esp. in this economy.

I do think that money plays a small part too though. There are a lot of rabid fans priced out of games. Between tickets, parking (or even metro), and some basic concessions, you're talking about a hundred bucks per person and we haven't even included any souvieniers. You want to take yourself and your two sons... you've got to be willing to shell out 3-400 bucks and that's very real money for a lot of families esp. in this economy.

You are correct sir. I ca't tell you how many games I have been too....in pro sports where some of the best and rowdiest fans out in the parking lot tailgating, don't even have tix to the game. They come to party and then go home or watch the game on a tv in their car, because they can't afford tix.

I think part of the problem lies with there being more premium seating at the stadium than there was before. When JKC opened the club level existed but at least the prices were such that a diehard could get access to season tickets if they were willing to pay a price. Now those prices have shot up to a point where its hard for individuals to go and thus many of the seats are now with either corporations or the Skins themselves. They've also added the Dream Seats and created the Tailgate/Touchdown Club seats in the lower bowl, both of which are like PSLs. Again, more likely to be corporately-owned, and thus farmed out to opposing fans.

Here are some ideas:

1) Get the band involved in the game more, like they were when the stadium first opened. Don't know if they can do that from their present location or not.

2) Try lowering the cost of parking to, say, $20. I wonder how many people don't go strictly on this basis. People are gonna say, "Well, there's Metro," but its a friggin mile away.

3) Play some more appealing music before the game. Yes, I know hip-hop is probably the players choice, but as someone said in another thread, without the fans there is no league. Get some rock and roll over the speakers to help get the crowd who does show up early more amped and perhaps entice folks to come in earlier

4) Another enticement that perhaps they can try once to see how it works. The week before a game, put an ad in the paper saying that if you're in the stadium by 1230, you get, say, a $10 voucher for concessions or the fan store.

That's all I really have. I agree with Burgold when he says the fanbase's confidence is fragile. However, is it so bad that people give up on this team before the season even begins and sell their tickets en masse? I remember I posted a question last year asking folks who have STs if the people sitting nearby are regularly different week-to-week, and the majority of responses indicated that they were.

Simple, just win...

/thread

This and only this will have a long term effect on HFA improving.

All the tricks, gimmicks, and giveaways in the world will not make a difference if the team continues losing.

Lowering prices would be a great thing for the fans but I'm not sure it would help with the HFA if the team continues

playing football the way it has in recent memory.

I think that the more commercialized the team becomes, the more fans will treat the team as a commercial product. The team is now built to attract fairweather fans, because people don't want to pay that much to see their team lose.

I picked community involvement. It'll work, but it would take about 5 years or so to get enough visibility in the community to make a difference. One of the problems isn't just that they are losing, but that Dan Snyder is the Despot of Fed Ex. If Dan were to get out in the public, either personally or via proxy (e.g. Shanahan, star players, etc...) and host high profile events, charity drives, and so forth, he would boost a positive image of development and support of his community. This would help the fans to develop more of a personal bond with the team, which therefore would help the Skins get the fan's support.

I think a fan forum would help too. These two steps will help remove the "I'm Dan Snyder, and money is all I care about" stigma.

Of course, winning wouldn't hurt either.

Archived