Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Netflix TV Series suggestion Thread

SnyderShrugged

Supernatural is a great show, especially the first 3 seasons. I was skeptical, it being a WB/CW show, but its pretty awesome. I still watch it to this day (season 5 I believe), its just not as good as those first few seasons.

And I first loved it so much because I watched it straight through with Netflix. Definitely the best way to watch TV shows, I don't even watch live TV anymore unless its sports :ols:

Hill Street Blues. (Unfortunately, only the first two seasons are available.)

I think you could spend a year going through all of the Star Trek series. :)

Battlestar Galactica is a good recommendation. (I'd recommend the original series, too.)

I've only watched the first two seasons of The Sopranos, but they were very good.

• 1 year later...

Did a search for this specifically....

Anyway, Lily-hammer is about a gangster who testifies and is given a new life in Norway. It is a Netflix only series. Pretty good.

Also, watching Trouble the Water. A wannabe rapper and his wife document hurricane Katrina.

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

I really wish The Wire was on Netflix.

I haven't seen a single episode yet... Is there any site I can watch?

FWIW, I am now up to date with Breaking Bad (amazing show) thanks to netflix.

It was mentioned kind of obliquely, but Doctor Who is a great show (the new iteration of the show, that started in 2005). A must-see if you've any affection for sci-fi, but still a great tv show even if you don't. If you just want a taste to see what it's kind of like, watch Blink in season three. It's a stand-alone episode so nothing much will be spoiled. Although, I think the first two episodes of the series should be enough to keep you going (the pilot feels like a pilot, but there's potential). And if you watch The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances two-parter (in the first season) and don't feel the urge to weep, you may not have a soul.

In the I-can't-believe-they-cancelled-this-show category, check out Better Off Ted. It only lasted two half-seasons, but it was completely hilarious. One of the better half-hour comedies to have gotten the axe. And Firefly was brilliant, so much so that getting cancelled upset fans so much that they had to make a movie.

Everybody should watch 30 Rock as well as Parks and Recreation; they're both hysterical.

Breaking Bad, as others have said, is one of the best shows to have ever been created.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine still holds up as, I think, the best series in the Star Trek lineup.

I'm not sure how much of The Walking Dead is on Netflix right now, but it's a great show.

Futurama is great, if you can get into animated stuff.

I'll try to think of more stuff...

Luther.

It's a BBC series starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell on the The Wire). He's a detective for the Serious Crimes Unit, cop on the edge type show. His personal life is falling apart because of his obsession with his work, eventually they crash together. It's the type of show where you know that none of the characters are truly safe.

(I'm highly disappointed in people that mentioned other BBC series like Sherlock and Dr. Who and failed to mention this)

I just ran through the Lost series again. It was so much better for me this time around, not waiting for new episodes and knowing the ending.

I'd recommend it to those who have and haven't seen it yet.

And BattleStar Galactica as mentioned above, fantastic show.

Luther.

It's a BBC series starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell on the The Wire). He's a detective for the Serious Crimes Unit, cop on the edge type show. His personal life is falling apart because of his obsession with his work, eventually they crash together. It's the type of show where you know that none of the characters are truly safe.

(I'm highly disappointed in people that mentioned other BBC series like Sherlock and Dr. Who and failed to mention this)

I prefer Whitechapel over Luther. But I'm really not into either, to be honest.

And the original versions of Torchwood and Life on Mars are definite recommends if you want something British (other than Doctor Who, obviously).

Not sure if it has made it to Netflix yet, but the first season of The Fades was mad. Survivors was also a cool show, especially before The Walking Dead came along and trounced it.

Have you watched Bored To Death? Jonathan Ames is a writer who began moonlighting as a private eye when he got bored and put up a craigslist ad. His two best, played by Ted Danson and Zach Galifianakis, join in on the fun accompanying him on stakeouts and such (often while getting high on pot). John Hodgeman (PC from those Mac commercials) is Ames' antagonist; a competing, pretentious writer. Patton Oswalt has cameo appearances as their high-tech spy-equipment supplier (Ted Danson's character is extremely wealthy, and the private detective thing is exciting for him so he buys all the fun gadgetry).

Sadly they didn't renew the show, so it's only got 3 seasons, but it was great.

Favorite thing I've seen from Netflix: Dead Like Me. Only 3 seasons (I think), but very funny, very memorable characters.

That was a fun show while it lasted.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 04:28 AM ----------

Another less-watched show that didn't last long that I liked was Odyssey 5. It was a Showtime sci-fi show about a crew who had taken off in a space shuttle only to see the Earth implode behind them. An alien sentient robot known as The Seeker discovered them and sent their consciousnesses 5 (I think) years into the past so that they can try and figure out what happened and stop it (Earth was not the first imploding planet). As a result, the show deals with not only the mystery of finding out the cause of and stopping the Earth's destruction, but they have to live their personal lives as if they are who they were 5 years ago (for example, one of the crew members was now under 21).

The show was written and produced by Manny Coto (Enterprise, 24, Dexter), and stars Peter Weller (Robocop). Sadly, the show never did get closure, though Coto apparently is interested in going back to it some day.

MAD MEN!!!

My daughters bought me season one for Father's day several years ago and I never thought that my wife would like it. She absolutely loved it and over several more gift giving occasions my daughters gave me seasons 2, 3, and 4. I am now watching in real time and have not noticed any real fall off. The show did win the emmy four years in a row for a reason. The acting is great and the plot lines are developed with subtlety. It does help to like history too, as the series is set against the events that occured in the 60's. Also, have a bottle of bourbon or scotch handy. You will want a drink as you watch.

I would also recommend Downton Abby and the well done Poirot series.

The Walking Dead is something that I can watch with my daughters when they are around (neither lives at home anymore), but my wife does not watch that one with me. Flesh eating zombies are not her thing.

• 5 weeks later...

The Best:

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Six Feet Under

Arrested Development

Firefly

Mad Men

Lost

Damages

Luther <---incredible!!

No idea if all of these are on Netflix, but if they are give 'em a shot :thumbsup:

---------- Post added June-7th-2012 at 09:25 AM ----------

Luther.

Amen to that :yes:...brilliant show.

Archived