Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SB Nation DC: Vince Young Shows Why Redskins Should Be Thankful For Donovan McNabb

themurf

If ever there was a game that clearly illustrates why the Washington Redskins were willing to sign a soon-to-be 34-year-old Donovan McNabb to a five-year contract extension, it was the 19-16 overtime win over the Tennessee Titans.

Not because he completed 30 of 50 passes for 376 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Not because the Redskins’ offense, led by McNabb, converted eight of 16 third downs on the day and had the ball for more than 40 minutes. Not even because the 12-year veteran was able to overcome a lack of conditioning and football smart to put his team in a position to kick the game winner in overtime.

No, the Titans game is a perfect example of why the Redskins were willing to keep McNabb longer not so much because of anything he did, but rather, because of the actions of the opposing quarterback.

You might have heard that Titans quarterback Vince Young was pulled from the game in the second half after suffering a torn flexor tendon in his right thumb Sunday. The fifth-year pro apparently banged the thumb on his throwing hand on the helmet of Redskins defensive lineman Maake Kemoeatu and was affected by the play enough that his head coach thought it best to finish the game without him.

"If I thought Vince could go out and give us the best chance to win, then he would've gone back on the field," said Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher after the game. "I was not going to put him on the field, knowing ahead of time he had an injury that would prohibit him from throwing accurately."

Young, of course, was not thrilled to learn his day was over. And really, it’s hard to blame any competitor for wanting to go back into the game when the outcome is still very much up in the air. But instead of handling the situation properly, Young had a hissy fit. He had a temper tantrum. He took his ball and went home.

Young took his jersey and shoulder pads and threw them into the crowd as he stormed off the field. And then, while Fisher was attempting to address his team after the loss, Young continued to be a distraction – muttering obscenities under his breath but loud enough to cause another scene and ensure everyone nearby knew he was still disgruntled.

When Fisher tried to talk to him, Young opted to storm out of the locker room.

“Don’t walk out on your teammates,” Fisher said to Young.

“I’m not walking out on them, I’m walking out on you,” his supposed franchise quarterback responded.

And then, to the absolute surprise of no one, Tennessee announced 24 hours later that Young’s season is over. Sure, Fisher was kind enough to say that Young needs season-ending surgery on his thumb and that’s the reason why the 27-year-old is done, but you get the sense that after Sunday’s outburst this was really the only possible outcome.

And now the Titans are in the hands of someone allegedly named Rusty Smith, a baby-faced rookie out of Florida Atlantic. The sixth-round pick might very well turn out to be the next Tom Brady, who was also a sixth rounder, but he wasn’t up to the task against Washington.

In his first live action as a pro, Smith completed three of nine passes for 62 yards with one interception. Smith’s quarterback rating for the day was 19.0, which is fitting because he looks young enough to still be a teenager.

Now, I bring all of this up to remind Redskins fans just how fortunate we are to have McNabb in town. He’ll be the first to admit that he needs to perform better on the field than he did the first half of the 2010 season, but there’s no questioning how McNabb handles himself off of the field.

He’s a consummate professional. Bullies like Rush Limbaugh and Terrell Owens might walk up to him and try to start a fight, but McNabb’s never going to stoop to their level. Mike Shanahan might stand up in front of a sea of microphones and question his quarterback’s lack of conditioning and football smarts after a disappointing loss to lowly Detroit, but he’s not going to make a scene.

Click here for full article.

That being said, other than Jeff George, we have always had classy guys at the QB position who didn't act like a knucklehead when the chips were down. So, I don't quite get the point. I certainly wouldn't trade class for talent, but it doesn't need to be an either-or.

I was too young but I always read that Schroeder was a jackass too.

That being said, other than Jeff George, we have always had classy guys at the QB position who didn't act like a knucklehead when the chips were down. So, I don't quite get the point. I certainly wouldn't trade class for talent, but it doesn't need to be an either-or.

Wins have been hard enough to come by for the Redskins over the last 20 years. Having players who aren't drama queen prominently involved as the team tries to get it's act together is a good thing.

Another nice piece there murf, couldn't agree more. I still maintain that this is a huge reason why Shanahan brought in McNabb, his demeanor and composure to help keep a roster settled and focused during what is already a rocky transition. A mature QB with a long track record of conducting himself as an adult while surrounded by children helps establish a professional atmosphere and attitude on a team that seemed to lack those things.

Couldn't agree more with this post. McNabb is the man and is gonna be the man for at least the next couple of years. People that say extending McNabb was detrimental to the rebuilding process are idiots. There are so many other critical vacancies in this team. FINALLY, Quarterback isn't one of them.

Generally speaking, head cases don't get to be QBs. In the last 20 years, how many QBs have melted down in the NFL? George, Collins, Young, Leaf, and maybe Kordell Stewart?

At some level, the coach (be it high school or college) is going to move his super-talented but emotionally unstable player to receiver or d-back or running back or tight end. Of the five guys I mentioned, four were so naturally talented, that you almost had to take the risk of keeping them at the position and one was an alcoholic.

Anyone, 31 out of 32 starting QBs are not basket cases. That is hardly exceptional.

Vy can still perform. I expect this to be blown out of proportion. There's always 2 sides to each story.

The two sides are this: Jeff Fisher has openly despised Vince Young for years and has only kept Young on the roster at the behest of Bud Adams.

The other side is this: Vince Young is an extremely talented man with the emotional stability of a 13 year old girl.

Vy can still perform. I expect this to be blown out of proportion. There's always 2 sides to each story.

What possible explanation could Vince Young have for his actions? Is he going to say he had to take of his jersey and shoulder pads and throw them into the crowd because he was attacked by bees? Did he storm out of the locker room because he really, really had to go to the potty? During his NFL career, Young has basically shown himself to be nothing more than a headcase who cannot handle any kind of adversity. Talented? Yes. Worth the trouble? No chance.

And notice how long Schroeder lasted......one full and two half seasons.....

And from what I understand, he didn't do too poorly. Didn't he set some kind of team record for passing yards in a season?

The real shame of it is, Bud Adams is probably gonna dump Fisher and hire some poor sap to be Young's baby sitter.

What possible explanation could Vince Young have for his actions? Is he going to say he had to take of his jersey and shoulder pads and throw them into the crowd because he was attacked by bees? Did he storm out of the locker room because he really, really had to go to the potty? During his NFL career, Young has basically shown himself to be nothing more than a headcase who cannot handle any kind of adversity. Talented? Yes. Worth the trouble? No chance.

This has to be said, b/c I've been thinking about it since yesterday. The same things were said about Mike Vick. Now, Young isn't the freak Vick is, but he has the arm and the athleticism to be a pretty good QB. And he's shown flashes. Would he be worthy of a Vick-esque rehabilitation project under McNabb?

This has to be said, b/c I've been thinking about it since yesterday. The same things were said about Mike Vick. Now, Young isn't the freak Vick is, but he has the arm and the athleticism to be a pretty good QB. And he's shown flashes. Would he be worthy of a Vick-esque rehabilitation project under McNabb?

Vick would never have been a backup if what happened to him, didn't happen.

Young will not go somewhere to be a backup, because he thinks he is a star QB. Vick would have done and acted the same, had he not got caught doing what he did.

McNabb is definitely a classy individual. The situation with he and the Shanahans could have really been blown up if he even hinted at being pissed about it, which I'm sure he was. Young has all of the potential in the world, but he just doesn't have it between the ears. Fisher has given him every oppurtunity to get his act together, and Young has shot himself in the foot every time. Time to cut the cord.

I like to call it McNabb's Silent Repudiation of Mike Shanahan..."So I can't run your 2-minute offense? How about I do it twice in one game?" Which is exactly what Donavan did against the Titans.

First Half, 29 seconds left. 1st down on their own 39. Four straight completions to the Tennessee 33. Gano misses the 51 yard field goal.

End of game, 1:37 left. 1st down on their own 22. McNabb moves the team 49 yards to set up a game winning field goal. Gano misses from 47 yards.

McNabb didn't have to say a word about getting benched for not having the cardiovascular endurance or the knowledge needed to run the 2 minute offense. He just went out and did it. Twice.

The two sides are this: Jeff Fisher has openly despised Vince Young for years and has only kept Young on the roster at the behest of Bud Adams.

The other side is this: Vince Young is an extremely talented man with the emotional stability of a 13 year old girl.

You could have just written that Vince Young has emotional instability and left off the 13 year old girl part. Boys/men get emotional too.

McNabb has always handled adversity well. And he marched the team down the field 3 times and put the team in a position to win: end of the 1st half, end of the 2nd half and in the OT period. Experience will out.

Archived