Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Smart are you?

WVUforREDSKINS

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

A) Barrack Obama - 9, he's smart, in the category of smart people who think they're as smart as geniuses, but are mistaken

B) Sarah Palin - 3, I'm being charitable

C) Ron Paul - 10, smart and sane don't always go together

D) Glen Beck - 9, while tempting to call him an idiot, he's far from it

E) Jon Stewart - 10, his mental quickness and agility tipped me off

F) The average Glen Beck Viewer -5, law of averages

G) the average Jon Stewart viewer - 5, ditto

I voted 10 based on numerous tests over the years. I'm in the range where they get out the special tests. :)

A) Barrack Obama- 9

B) Sarah Palin- 2

C) Ron Paul-7

D) Glen Beck-5

E) Jon Stewartd- 8

F) The average Glen Beck Viewer- 5

G) the average Jon Stewart viewer- 7

I voted 9 for myself, but if IQ scores are any indication I could be a 10. I gave myself a 9 b/c though I'm very book smart, sometimes I really think I could use some help in the "common sense" dept. lol

Well, when 32% say they're in the top 10%...

This isn't a random sampling of people.

I guess I'm not smart enough to know what "smart" means for a poll like this, but I think many here have an over-inflated sense of how "smart" the general public is, probably because everyone they know is well above average. Less than 1/3 of the population has a college degree. (and yes, I realize getting a degree or not getting one isn't necessarily an indicator, but let's not quibble). If, like me, you hardly know anyone that doesn't have at least a bachelor's degree, and many with advanced degrees, it skews your perception. Just like going to only Redskins training camp would skew your perception of what a "good" offensive lineman is.

From an IQ perspective (and again I recognize there are problems with using IQ), 90th percentile is around a 120-125, as I recall, and 50th percentile is 100.

A few people here have, in reference to the list of politicians and pundits, thrown around the word "genius". Geniuses are not top 10%. They are top 0.1% or better.

A) Barrack Obama: 8

B) Sarah Palin: 2

C) Ron Paul: 10 (but batty)

D) Glen Beck: 5 (also batty, inconsistent)

E) Jon Stewart: 5 (smarmy, conceited, pretentious, etc.)

F) The average Glen Beck Viewer: 5

G) the average Jon Stewart viewer: 2 (brain damage from nitrus balloons)

I said bottom 20%. :ols: :ols:

I mean, I am smart. I have always done well in school. Great test scores, great grades, graduated from a top 50 university with honors and have always been successful. But 4 years out of college I have a job that pays me **** and I work way too many hours and bust my ass - because I am supposed to be passionate about it and do it for love, not money. Now that is stupid.

I wish I had sold out and was making $100,000. Should have majored in CS or Engineering not some BS International Relations. :ols: Not BS because it was easy, its actually a really hard major at GW, but because it does not do anything but act as a stepping stone to law school . . . . which I don't want to do.

When I start making money and working for myself (which should happen in a couple of years) I can move into the top 20 to 10 percent.

Quoted for truth. I was told all through my youth that I was a genius because of some test scores.

Then I grew up, and met some REAL geniuses. Completely different idea.

I think I've only met one legitimate genius in my life. Unfortunately I really only knew him through middle school. So much smarter than everyone else it wasn't even funny. Later became a math super-genius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Lurie.

"In 1996 he took first place in the Westinghouse Science Talent Search"

I remember this. Got the first place national prize from Westinghouse, and did it all with pen and paper. Something about "surreal numbers" that even the judges couldn't fully comprehend.

I think I've only met one legitimate genius in my life. Unfortunately I really only knew him through middle school. So much smarter than everyone else it wasn't even funny. Later became a math super-genius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Lurie.

I remember this. Got the first place national prize from Westinghouse, and did it all with pen and paper. Something about "surreal numbers" that even the judges couldn't fully comprehend.

LOL. I read that wiki entry and understood about 8 words of it.

I remember when Lurie was like the god of the Montgomery County math team. I think I made an effort to learn what surreal numbers were back in high school, but I don't really remember anymore.

But yeah, like Predicto, everyone told me I was a genius in elementary and middle school, and I probably believed it until I was in a room with guys like Jacob Lurie. There is a long tail on the distribution of intelligence, and the top 1% or .01% is a big leap from the top 5 or 10%.

Archived